all posts post new thread

Nutrition Any tips for lean bulking?

Kaiwentsolo

First Post
Hello I’m 16, I’ve been seriously working out for a year. (Mix of calisthenics and weightlifting). Not going to lie I didn’t eat well at all. Since my metabolism is already decent I felt like it wouldn’t matter. But I’ve been trying to change up things after I got sick back in October-November losing 20lbs. I’m 5’8, and weigh 136lb. I want to get back to the 140-150 range. Just gain lean muscle while removing the fat I gained during the winter.

Any diet tips for lean bulking? What macros for instance? I was going to google, but felt like I should come here first. Any advice is

I recommend you eat greater than 0.7g/lb protein per day. Break the rest of your remaining calories down as roughly 2/3 carbs and 1/3 fats. You need to be consistent with your diet for at least a few months to gain your weight target leanly. I can't recommend highly enough tracking your calories/weight and making adjustments as you go in case you are not gaining weight quick enough or too quickly.

Do training specifically designed for hypertrophy that is meant to maximize muscle growth stimulus.

Lean and bulking are almost contradictory terms. At your size, and age, lift heavy, eat everything that isn't tied down. No running or unnecessary cardio. I'd focus on getting bigger, you can lean out then.

I recommend you eat greater than 0.7g/lb protein per day. Break the rest of your remaining calories down as roughly 2/3 carbs and 1/3 fats. You need to be consistent with your diet for at least a few months to gain your weight target leanly. I can't recommend highly enough tracking your calories/weight and making adjustments as you go in case you are not gaining weight quick enough or too quickly.

Do training specifically designed for hypertrophy that is meant to maximize muscle growth stimulus.
Alright thank you. I really appreciate it. I’ll set up my meals around this. :)

Lean and bulking are almost contradictory terms. At your size, and age, lift heavy, eat everything that isn't tied down. No running or unnecessary cardio. I'd focus on getting bigger, you can lean out then.
Heard you, I’ve been eating a bit more base foods than usual. As well as going for heavier weights. I’ll keep doing that too.

I want to get back to the 140-150 range. Just gain lean muscle while removing the fat I gained during the winter.

Any advice is

Gain Weight Diet

Gaining Muscle Mass while minimizing Fat Gain is optimally accomplished by increasing calorie intake

Drs John Ivy and Layne Norton

The work of these two, independent of each other, determined one of the keys to increasing Muscle Mass while minimizing Fat Gain was to increase Caloric Intake 20% above your present Daily Calorie Intake.

Research show that initialting a mega high calorie intake, increases muscle mass while dramatically increase Body Fat Levels.

Let's break this down more...

Three Day Recall

First you need to determine your Daily Caloric Intake.

1) Count You Calorie Intake for Three Days.

2) Divide your Three Day Calorie Intake by three to determine your Average Daily Calorie Intake.

3) One of the days of Calorie Counting needs to be a weekend day; since in most cased Weekend Intake is different.

4) Take you Average Daily Calorie Intake and multiple it by 1.2 to obtain your new optimal Gain Weight/Muscle Mass Diet Plan.

Example

If you Average Daily Calorie Intake is 2,000 a day, multiply 1.2 x 2,000.

Your new Daily Intake would need to be around 2,400 per day.

Alright thank you. I really appreciate it. I’ll set up my meals around this. :)
General Guidline

Overall, this is a good guidline.

Lifting Heavy Weight

While this approach will contribute to gains in muscle mass it is not the most effective method for maximizing and Increase in muscle mass. More information on this to come.

Hyperterophy Strength Training

Hypertrophy (Increasing Muscle Mass)Training is optimized with...

1) Low to Moderate Load of 60-80% of your 1 Repetition Max.

2) Repetitions of 8 or more in a Set.

3) Fairly Short Rest Periods Between Set of 60-90 seconds.

The Muscle Pump Effect

The above protocol produces "The Pump".

Arterial Blood from the heart is pumped to the working muscles.

The Muscle Contraction

The Muscle Contraction limits Venous Blood Flow from the working muscles back to the heart; the blood is trapped in the muscles.

This produce "The Pump" and accumulation of Lactate (not Lactic Acid).

Anabolic Effect of Lactate

Research show that the accumulation of Lactate produces a downstream anabolic, muscle building effect.

Dr Brad Schoenfeld's Hypertrophy Reserch

Schoenfield determine three factors were optimal for increasing Muscle Mass/Hyperterophy

1) Mechanical Tension

Lifting Heavy Weights

2) Metabolic Stress

This is Hypertrophy Training, defined above; the fundamental principle for increasing muscle mass.

3) Muscle Damage

This means during a Training Cycle, pushing an exercise to failure or near to it.

This method should be limited; not performed during every workout. Doing so, leads to OverTraining.

When OverTraining occurs, gain disappear; you go backwards.

Full Range Movements also produce Muscle Damage (a Loaded Stretch) which elicits and increase in muscle mass; when it is followed by...

Rest and Reovery

Resistance Training produces the stimulus.

Rest and Recovery is where increases of gains in muscle mass and strength occur.

Dr Michael Zourdos' Maximizing Strength Protocol

Zourdos research, similar to Schoenfeld's Hypertrophy Protocol, determine that Maximum Strength Gains were achieved when different types of Strength Training were incorporate in the same program; Hypetrophy, Power and Maximum Strength.

Doing so, elicited a...

Synergistic Effect

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Analogy

Think of the Synergistic Effect as adding the parts of 2 plus 2 and getting a sum of 5!

Back
Top Bottom