all posts post new thread

Nutrition Anybody else use high protein flour ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

BillSteamshovel

Level 6 Valued Member
I use high protein flour to make pancakes - I've not seen much discussion on using this flour to do normal things like pancakes or bread or cakes, I think it is frequently used to make Seitan, or a little bit is added to "common" flour to make bread/cakes lighter and fluffier.

I know one of the downsides of this flour is that it has a low lycine content and is therefore not considered to be a complete protein but it is relatively easy to fix that by adding other things with a bit of lycine in them.

The other downside of this flour is there seems to be a lack of any agreement on the definitions of "vital flour" some folk use it to mean the dry flour others use the term in a different way I find it quite confusing.

Am wondering why I rarely see this type of flour discussed in nutrition forums - does anybody here use it ? If yes what do you do with it ?

COuple of links below for those who don't know what I am referring to, the astonishing thing about it is the 70-80% protein content.

My recipe - 2tbspn gluten flour, 2tbspn soy protein powder, 1 egg, 1/2 cup water, dash salt, 1 teaspoon baking powder, pour batter into a frying pan takes a few minutes then flip (add whatever else you like either into the batter or on top of the cooked pancake ............ ie tuna, crushed linseeds, chocolate powder, cayenne pepper, banana, honey, peanut butter, chilli paste ........whatever) - it turns out kind of half way between a slice of bread and a slice of cake.

I use high protein flour to make pancakes - I've not seen much discussion on using this flour to do normal things like pancakes or bread or cakes, I think it is frequently used to make Seitan, or a little bit is added to "common" flour to make bread/cakes lighter and fluffier.

I know one of the downsides of this flour is that it has a low lycine content and is therefore not considered to be a complete protein but it is relatively easy to fix that by adding other things with a bit of lycine in them.

The other downside of this flour is there seems to be a lack of any agreement on the definitions of "vital flour" some folk use it to mean the dry flour others use the term in a different way I find it quite confusing.

Am wondering why I rarely see this type of flour discussed in nutrition forums - does anybody here use it ? If yes what do you do with it ?

COuple of links below for those who don't know what I am referring to, the astonishing thing about it is the 70-80% protein content.

My recipe - 2tbspn gluten flour, 2tbspn soy protein powder, 1 egg, 1/2 cup water, dash salt, 1 teaspoon baking powder, pour batter into a frying pan takes a few minutes then flip (add whatever else you like either into the batter or on top of the cooked pancake ............ ie tuna, crushed linseeds, chocolate powder, cayenne pepper, banana, honey, peanut butter, chilli paste ........whatever) - it turns out kind of half way between a slice of bread and a slice of cake.
I don't use it but used to bake bread using nutritional yeast to bring the protein content up - the bread tasted funny for anything but toast...

I might have to give this stuff a try - thanks for the tip!

@BillSteamshovel, there is a saying in the world of cooks - I don't remember it exactly but it's something to the effective of: you need to be creative to cook (think main course and other savory things) but to bake, you need to be able to follow directions. That said, I'm not sure which category making pancakes falls into, but ...

Whenever a recipe calls for flour, it almost always specifies what kind of flour, and that's what I try to use. If I was trying to add protein, I'd add it some other way, be that having eggs with my pancakes or adding protein powder to them, but I wouldn't change the flour.

-S-

Adding stuff to bread - fortifying - is a result of industrial production nuking the nutrition out of the original food so that vitamins and minerals are added in later.
A very interesting wireless show, or podcast for the kids, on reclaiming grain to maximise the nutrient content of bread making. All about the milling......doesn't answer your question but tends to favour the making of delicious bread with texture and flavour which is of high nutrient quality rather than nutrient poor cardboard energy.

It relates to Scottish milling.

If you don't live on brexit plague island not sure of access.
If you do have access, some fine information on cooking, food production and the politics of food available in an extensive library of all things food.

Adding stuff to bread - fortifying - is a result of industrial production nuking the nutrition out of the original food so that vitamins and minerals are added in later.
A very interesting wireless show, or podcast for the kids, on reclaiming grain to maximise the nutrient content of bread making. All about the milling......doesn't answer your question but tends to favour the making of delicious bread with texture and flavour which is of high nutrient quality rather than nutrient poor cardboard energy.

It relates to Scottish milling.

If you don't live on brexit plague island not sure of access.
If you do have access, some fine information on cooking, food production and the politics of food available in an extensive library of all things food.
I am able to access the program from the US.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom