all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Anyone dealt with loss of strength due to pinched nerve (cervical radiculopathy)

Has anyone experienced a return of size in atrophied muscles without surgery?

It's been about a month since I had checked in here--about 10 weeks since I started doing the neck exercises.

Pain is rare and barely noticeable when it happens.
My left index finger still feels pretty normal most of the time.

I am still training about twice a week. Leg training is fine.

I can also do about 25 push-ups.

But the pushing strength in my left tricep and pec seem to have reached a plateau. I am very cautious about benching an pushups--don't want to hurt the other muscles that have to compensate for the weakness.

I can see the asymmetry between the left and right side: left tricep and pec are smaller. I'm probably the only one who notices, but it does bother me. I'd love to get the strength and size back some day.
I am wondering the same thing, my arms look same size but I have a dent in my pec similar to what a torn pec looks like..

Hi J and welcome. Like you, I’ve suffered from cervical radiculopathy for 19 months now. I was in intense pain for the first 7 months or so. I’ve also had weakness. My arms would just buckle trying to do a single push-up at first, and muscles felt sore and wasted. Eventually, strength returned (or muscles compensated, idk). How I feel now though, is an increased stiffness, slow reactions, decreased ROM, fatigue and weakness in the whole left side. I just wanted to say, ive also had that rough, grainy feeling between skin and muscle, on my forearm, where I think certain muscles have been paralysed, or just very weak. Anyway, I’ll have an appointment with a neurosurgeon soon because I’m developing symptoms on my right side as well.

It’s very good that your doctor got right on it and referred you for EMG as well (I was referred more than a year later). Get an MRI as well if you can, and consult a neurosurgeon too, depending on EMG findings
I really feel for you going through 7 months of radicular pain! I feel for anybody experiencing any of these symptoms it all feels like some sort of supernatural punishment.. I remember waking up a week or so before it decided to go for my right side, I had waves of red hot pain going down both arms , snapped me out of bed in the middle of the night I stood up put my hands out and all I could do was stand there and be terrified....the pain was so feoreign/alien to me....roughly two weeks later the level 10 pain began, ...though beyond grateful that it has dissipated, the after effects seem to be equally as taxing mentally

@Jtjt349

I still have marginal sensation in my index and middle finger of my right hand. Cannot use it to gauge if something is hot and if I cut it, just feels like it touched something cold.

Even now, doing my isometrics will sometimes feel as though I've strained my left pec a little, but then numbness travels down to the bicep...

Am not a stranger to nerve pain, but this is a whole other level, or at least can be...

Again, best of luck to all!

I’m going through this exact thing since mid September. Started out as what felt like a pulled trap muscle after a day of work, turned into 10/10 pain and muscle spasm . When the bad pain in my trap and behind my shoulder blade started to die down after a week, I realized I had nerve pain down my arm, numbness in my index and thumb and extreme weakness in my left tricep. I’m waiting on an mri but all my symptoms point to c6 or c7 herniated disc. I’m getting better continuously although very very slowly. PT has been doing manual massage voodoo work and has me doing some nerve flossing which seems to be helping me along.

One thing I can recommend to anyone suffering is to ice the neck 5x a day for 20 minutes if you can. This has really helped me a lot and I notice the difference if I start to forget to do it.

Really sucks to be sidelined from BJJ and simple & sinister right now. Good luck to all suffering, this s*** is no fun.

That's interesting about icing the neck, Shawn. I've been using a heated neck and shoulder thing I got on Amazon. I plug it in and it gets nice and warm and toasty. It seems to help and I put it on when I get in bed. For some reason, icing seemed the wrong thing intuitively - but then none of this is intuitive so maybe I'm wrong. How do we know when to use ice and when to use heat?

Almost 3 weeks in, I am doing ok with almost no pain, except tweaks, aches, twinges, that kind of thing in neck and shoulder - but not intense. Very weak arm and shoulder and it's hard to tell if it's getting better.

The exercises my PT has me doing (2-3x a day) are:
Chin to chest x10
Look right, look left x10
Tilt ear to shoulder (both sides) x10
Lift both hands above head vertically x5
And then one for my deep neck muscles - lie on my back on the floor, look to my toes with my eye balls only(!), then follow the gaze and lift the head only 2 inches off the floor (any higher and you don't get the right muscles). x5

Almost none of these are working on my shoulder muscles, they are all about the neck. I also have an inflatable cervical traction device which I got myself from Amazon - does anyone find those any use? You put it around the neck and hand inflate it with a hand pump until it's where you like it, then wear it about 10mins - helps provide traction to help gently pull the spine/neck.

I spoke to my PT about getting an MRI (I live in the UK) and he said the only reason to get one would be if it's going to affect treatment in any way. And as we are treating this conservatively at the moment, it won't affect treatment. So no reason to get one unless things need to move to cortisol injections or surgery. But I will ask for one on the health service - my GP might not agree to it, if it's not medically indicated but I'm going to point out this has happened many times before, has just happened worse than ever, and I'm left with weakness. There will then be a 6 month waiting list at least. Or I can go private for one, but where I live (not mainland UK) that's very expensive.

That's interesting about icing the neck, Shawn. I've been using a heated neck and shoulder thing I got on Amazon. I plug it in and it gets nice and warm and toasty. It seems to help and I put it on when I get in bed. For some reason, icing seemed the wrong thing intuitively - but then none of this is intuitive so maybe I'm wrong. How do we know when to use ice and when to use heat?

Almost 3 weeks in, I am doing ok with almost no pain, except tweaks, aches, twinges, that kind of thing in neck and shoulder - but not intense. Very weak arm and shoulder and it's hard to tell if it's getting better.

The exercises my PT has me doing (2-3x a day) are:
Chin to chest x10
Look right, look left x10
Tilt ear to shoulder (both sides) x10
Lift both hands above head vertically x5
And then one for my deep neck muscles - lie on my back on the floor, look to my toes with my eye balls only(!), then follow the gaze and lift the head only 2 inches off the floor (any higher and you don't get the right muscles). x5

Almost none of these are working on my shoulder muscles, they are all about the neck. I also have an inflatable cervical traction device which I got myself from Amazon - does anyone find those any use? You put it around the neck and hand inflate it with a hand pump until it's where you like it, then wear it about 10mins - helps provide traction to help gently pull the spine/neck.

I spoke to my PT about getting an MRI (I live in the UK) and he said the only reason to get one would be if it's going to affect treatment in any way. And as we are treating this conservatively at the moment, it won't affect treatment. So no reason to get one unless things need to move to cortisol injections or surgery. But I will ask for one on the health service - my GP might not agree to it, if it's not medically indicated but I'm going to point out this has happened many times before, has just happened worse than ever, and I'm left with weakness. There will then be a 6 month waiting list at least. Or I can go private for one, but where I live (not mainland UK) that's very expensive.
Heat feels good for me and loosens up the muscles also. I’m not sure how to tell when to ice, but 5x a day was the treatment that was recommended to me from my pt. Sounds like you are doing a bit better than me if you don’t have much pain at this point. I still have a good amount of pain but nothing like the first couple weeks.

Yes, my guess is that my disc was bulging rather than totally herniated and perhaps the pressure on the nerve has come off now... what I have now maybe is the result of nerve irritation rather than something still going on as far as the disc goes. I don't know how I stop this happening again through my life though. I don't know if these exercises can be preventative - or if I'm doomed to repeat episodes of this :(

Ice helps with inflammation, heat helps with spasming muscles. It sometimes is a good idea to do ice for 10- 15 minutes (or if/until it goes numb) rest 30, repeat a few times and then switch to a warming.

Really, try both and if one or the other is more helpful, go with that.

I tried cervical traction but it didn't seem to help much. A lot of people with this and similar condition get some relief using them. L A frame collar can provide relief as well.

Ice helps with inflammation, heat helps with spasming muscles. It sometimes is a good idea to do ice for 10- 15 minutes (or if/until it goes numb) rest 30, repeat a few times and then switch to a warming.

Really, try both and if one or the other is more helpful, go with that.

I tried cervical traction but it didn't seem to help much. A lot of people with this and similar condition get some relief using them. L A frame collar can provide relief as well.

Hi there!

I’ve been very worried these last few days. My left side has started to flare up (neck, trap, triceps, even my ear, and mainly my shoulder blade, very sore). The thing is my hernia is in the right side, and that was my affected part during my only and last episode of radiculopathy. So, would this mean I have a new hernia on my left side? Or it could be the same one radiating pain to the left side? Compared to the last time, it’s just beginning (It got so severe I was in bed for two weeks, couldn’t even sit). What would you recommend? Should I rest while I see whether it will get worse? Or should I start immediately with some stretches and exercises my PT taught me for “releasing the nerve”? I’m really hoping it won’t be as bad as in the past. Thanks for your help

Hi there!

I’ve been very worried these last few days. My left side has started to flare up (neck, trap, triceps, even my ear, and mainly my shoulder blade, very sore). The thing is my hernia is in the right side, and that was my affected part during my only and last episode of radiculopathy. So, would this mean I have a new hernia on my left side? Or it could be the same one radiating pain to the left side? Compared to the last time, it’s just beginning (It got so severe I was in bed for two weeks, couldn’t even sit). What would you recommend? Should I rest while I see whether it will get worse? Or should I start immediately with some stretches and exercises my PT taught me for “releasing the nerve”? I’m really hoping it won’t be as bad as in the past. Thanks for your help

If you have a neurologist I'd start there. If symptoms get worse I'd consider going to the emergency department.

Any stretching or exercises that do not cause pain or worsening symptoms over the next 24 are probably going to help. Important - if the pain increases and you did activities out of the ordinary the previous day they could be related...or not. Keep tabs on what you do and the progression. But def start with medical referral.

My degenerative disk symptoms can move from side to side very easily, but we do not have the same diagnosis, only very similar symptoms as a result.

Hi there!

This really sounds like an acute injury that needs to be investigated by someone who knows what they are doing. You need complete rest in the early phases and then do some investigation into what's caused your injury. You can't stretch your way out of a herniated disk, sure it can bring some relief but that relief is mostly temporary.
Disks can and do heal without surgical intervention if the movements that have caused the injuries are eliminated until they've completely healed. Sometimes it's caused by poor posture while you're not at the gym, other times it's caused by poor form in the gym and sometimes it's a combination of both. I really can't stress this enough, your training needs to take a backseat while you get your injury sorted out and healed. You're much better off to take 4-6 months (even a year if that's what it takes) off training and give that disk time to heal completely, than you are to start training the same way again once it starts to feel better.
If you get creative you can always find other ways to stay fit that won't aggravate your problems until your injury is fully healed.

If you have a neurologist I'd start there. If symptoms get worse I'd consider going to the emergency department.

Any stretching or exercises that do not cause pain or worsening symptoms over the next 24 are probably going to help. Important - if the pain increases and you did activities out of the ordinary the previous day they could be related...or not. Keep tabs on what you do and the progression. But def start with medical referral.

My degenerative disk symptoms can move from side to side very easily, but we do not have the same diagnosis, only very similar symptoms as a result.

This really sounds like an acute injury that needs to be investigated by someone who knows what they are doing. You need complete rest in the early phases and then do some investigation into what's caused your injury. You can't stretch your way out of a herniated disk, sure it can bring some relief but that relief is mostly temporary.
Disks can and do heal without surgical intervention if the movements that have caused the injuries are eliminated until they've completely healed. Sometimes it's caused by poor posture while you're not at the gym, other times it's caused by poor form in the gym and sometimes it's a combination of both. I really can't stress this enough, your training needs to take a backseat while you get your injury sorted out and healed. You're much better off to take 4-6 months (even a year if that's what it takes) off training and give that disk time to heal completely, than you are to start training the same way again once it starts to feel better.
If you get creative you can always find other ways to stay fit that won't aggravate your problems until your injury is fully healed.
Thanks for both your answers. I am currently a bit more relieved, the pain in my shoulder blade and tríceps has almost disappeared, but my neck is still stiff and a little sore. I’ve been resting these days, I’m pretty sure it’s my bad posture outside the gym. If this doesn’t go away in the next few days, I’ll consult with my neurosurgeon. I trust the man since he is also a lifter and seems quite professional (he recommended against surgery when he saw my recovery last time, even though the traumatologist insisted on it). I have two questions, if you could please help me:

- What position do you recommend for the barbell when squating, for us guys with a tendency for neck injuries?

- What kind of pillow do you suggest? Thick, thin? Hard or soft?

Thanks a lot

Thanks for both your answers. I am currently a bit more relieved, the pain in my shoulder blade and tríceps has almost disappeared, but my neck is still stiff and a little sore. I’ve been resting these days, I’m pretty sure it’s my bad posture outside the gym. If this doesn’t go away in the next few days, I’ll consult with my neurosurgeon. I trust the man since he is also a lifter and seems quite professional (he recommended against surgery when he saw my recovery last time, even though the traumatologist insisted on it). I have two questions, if you could please help me:

- What position do you recommend for the barbell when squating, for us guys with a tendency for neck injuries?

- What kind of pillow do you suggest? Thick, thin? Hard or soft?

Thanks a lot
I'd consider front squats for few.

For a pillow I also have lower back problems and sleep on my side or stomach mostly, with a bolster pillow run across the side of my head at a diagonal - keeps me from burying my face.

You can't stretch your way out of a herniated disk, sure it can bring some relief but that relief is mostly temporary.
Let's expand on this a little.

As you've put it, I agree. There is a line in one of Pavel's book that stretching a bad back is like changing the oil on the Titanic. (A more common version of that expression is "like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.")

But improving other mobility and flexibility, by working on your hips and hamstrings, can absolutely help you 'stretch your way out of a herniated disc" because it will help your lumbar spine by not requiring it to move when it shouldn't. You're restoring the 'balance' of having mobile hips and hamstrings and a mobile upper back and shoulders to go along with a primarily stable lumbar spine.

-S-

Last edited:
That's certainly been true for me Steve, a lot of my lumbar issues have arisen from issues related to reduced hip mobility that result in a butt wink at the bottom phase of the lift There are also some situations where a controlled stretch can help to reduce a disk extrusion too like the McKenzie lumbar extension stretch.
Cervical problems in general are not so easy to self diagnose or self treat, sure the McKenzie methods work well for the vast majority but they fall short in some respects when someone has a lateral disk extrusion. Neck injuries are one of the few instances where I'd recommend a secondary opinion from a chiropractor after it's been assessed by the appropriate sports medicine professional. I'm not a fan their adjustment techniques in most cases but their postural assessment sometimes picks up things an orthopedic surgeon or radiologist might miss.

@Tarzan
posture is incredibly important for cervical disk issues. I can tell how my posture has been over the last 24 hours by how numb my index finger gets.

Stretching is really only useful if it alleviates muscle spasm or overly tight muscles in the area. Its one of the reasons I don't treat my neck with ice even if it does improve some symptoms, my neck winds up aching for a day or two after.

Almost 3 months since the beginning of this nightmare, started PT a week ago, apparently my muscles are all active , and they feel that way for the most part, pushing shopping carts is the most awkward with right arm,...what's been bothering me as of late are the other aches and pains that come with rehabbing, I often get an ache in my rhomboid area , opposite of the the injured side,...now suddenly after days of doing these thoracic mobility exercises, ...they now create some sort of sharp pain in my lower neck when working on my right side...so I now have to stop doing those,..when you think everything is getting better ....a new pain, or ache,...is this normal in recovering?

Almost 3 months since the beginning of this nightmare, started PT a week ago, apparently my muscles are all active , and they feel that way for the most part, pushing shopping carts is the most awkward with right arm,...what's been bothering me as of late are the other aches and pains that come with rehabbing, I often get an ache in my rhomboid area , opposite of the the injured side,...now suddenly after days of doing these thoracic mobility exercises, ...they now create some sort of sharp pain in my lower neck when working on my right side...so I now have to stop doing those,..when you think everything is getting better ....a new pain, or ache,...is this normal in recovering?

Hi there! I “recovered” a very long time ago (over a year), I finished my PT in March and my final visit to the neurosurgeon was also in March, when he cleared me for normal life after seeing my last MRI. Anyhow, I still have some weird pains depending on posture (shoulder blade mainly), sometimes is the bíceps, sometimes the neck, etc. Just one week ago I was sure I was gonna have another serious episode (I had a lot of radiating pain and stiffness), but fortunately the symptoms subsided. So, recovery is really tricky, I wouldn’t say you really recover from this

Back
Top Bottom