all posts post new thread

Barbell Anyone do light deadlifts for overall health reasons?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Dimel deadlifts and suitcase deadlifts are both great lifts that lend themselves to lighter weights.

IMO, the suitcase DL is very underutilized. To me, it feels more like half a heavy deadlift than a light deadlift. I once went though an extended period where I was doing no full DLs, but worked up to a 220lb suitcase DL and was doing a lot of KB ballistics. I was still able to comfortably pull 445lbs on a trap bar when I tried it as a test.

Don't be afraid to use straps (or perhaps a weightlifting hook grip if you are already familiar with it), since the rotating bar will want to roll out of your hand. I use Schiek 1000DLs dowel straps (about 25 USD) and Schiek 1900 Ultimate Grip straps (about 40 USD). Both provide a really secure grip and are easier to get a tight grip on the bar with than traditional straps. BTW, I often use straps for heavy 1-arm KB swings, which I think is also an underutilized combination.

It's also important to find the right balance point for gripping the bar. A very slight shift can make a big difference, and when the balance is off the lift becomes much harder and unpleasantly awkward. After I set my grip and stance for my first rep, I do a test pull just off the floor to make sure I have it right.

As far as protecting the floor, the possible solutions are bumper plates and/or a lifting surface of 3/4" horse stall mat, optionally with a sheet of plywood underneath . I used a stall mat over thin indoor/outdoor carpet over concrete for many years with no damage to the concrete. Now I have a stall mat over plywood on a carpeted wood floor. You don't need a fancy lifting "platform" like gyms have for dropping olympic lifts from overhead.

Indeed! It is both a science and an art, my friend.
And it takes a long time to get good at it, like everything else.

I got my 5 year participation award today on these forums. That means it's over 5 years I've been doing S&S. Still learning how to do it better.

Okay, I'll do that. I was getting pretty "okay" with deadlifting a few years ago. I got pretty close to 400lbs but was still placing the bar back down gently on the floor.
My entire garage is covered with the 1/2 mats as I have a full gym setup, and I also park my car on one side when not training (sometimes I leave it there too depending on that session). At 4200 pounds the car doesn't even make a mark or dent. I think you're safe dropping your weights on them unless you're really really strong and lifting more than that. ? I'd say the flooring was the most expensive part of my setup as a single purchase item, but has been more than worth it. But you could probably just make a nice dead lift area with out having to cover everything.

My entire garage is covered with the 1/2 mats as I have a full gym setup, and I also park my car on one side when not training (sometimes I leave it there too depending on that session). At 4200 pounds the car doesn't even make a mark or dent. I think you're safe dropping your weights on them unless you're really really strong and lifting more than that. ? I'd say the flooring was the most expensive part of my setup as a single purchase item, but has been more than worth it. But you could probably just make a nice dead lift area with out having to cover everything.
I can lift more than that because I am bad at math.

@Kozushi, to be completely clear, the bar is 7' long and the typical mat is 6' long, so the bar's ends will stick off a little, but it works just fine for me. If you lifts lots of thick plates, e.g., bumpers, you may wish to invest in a second mat.

-S-

Did some butt pump sumos today.

Super light (60 kg) but high rep.

I wanted to try it as an activation / primer before double KB swings.

I've recently started the Light Weight / High Rep Deadlifting Protocol from Return of the Kettlebell (with Kickstand Deadlifts).

I'm really enjoying it!
It reminds me a lot of the Slow Twitch Protocols.

Romanian deadlifts. It’s a great movement, uses less weight, builds a ton of muscle, and you never put the bar in the floor. It’s my go-to movement when I’m at a commercial gym and can’t make noise. It’s also great all on its own as your main hinge movement.

I never did much in the way of deadlift volume but when the gyms closed and all I had was a bar at home, I started to do more volume. I tried Jim wendlers BBS with deadlifts starting at around 40% of my max. That's 10 sets of 5. Felt super light and I added 2.5kg a week. Now I don't know if it was the best method but my deadlift max went up and my fatigue resistance and, I think, hypertrophy. Unfortunately so did my appetite. I'm now doing something else but I will go back to that in the future when I re-focus on deadlift.

Not sure if this is related, but I did deficit sumo deadlifts with a kettlebell as some light 'rest day' exercise (standing on two stacks of bumper plates): Made my knees feel great and my quads are lit-up.

Like squats, deadlifts don't have to be heavily loaded to be beneficial.

deficit sumo deadlifts with a kettlebell
My issue with deficit sumo deadlifts with a kettlebell is that it's easy to turn the movement into a squat. Not that this is necessary bad exercise but it's worth mentioning, I think.

-S-

My issue with deficit sumo deadlifts with a kettlebell is that it's easy to turn the movement into a squat. Not that this is necessary bad exercise but it's worth mentioning, I think.

-S-
Absolutely; it's a very 'squatty' movement if your feet are elevated enough.

Absolutely; it's a very 'squatty' movement if your feet are elevated enough.
That's the challenge if you want to preserve it as a deadlift. You can turn it into a squat just by putting the bell down far enough towards the back.

-S-

That's the challenge if you want to preserve it as a deadlift. You can turn it into a squat just by putting the bell down far enough towards the back.

-S-
This has got me wondering: At what point does a deadlift variation become a squat variation? If the hips are lower than the knees in the start position (not counting 'dynamic starts') then I'd call it a squat for sure, but maybe around 90 degrees is where it starts to transition from one to the other?

This has got me wondering: At what point does a deadlift variation become a squat variation? If the hips are lower than the knees in the start position (not counting 'dynamic starts') then I'd call it a squat for sure, but maybe around 90 degrees is where it starts to transition from one to the other?
If you maximally load your hips, you'll find a stopping point. Go lower than that and your knees will start coming forward as your hips lower.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom