all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Anyone doing only S&S program? Benefits over time?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

tamhn

First Post
I've just bought the online Simple & Sinister course and want to take it seriously. I also want to be minimalistic here so I don't want to pursue multiple programs at once.

Has anyone been pursuing this S&S program ONLY and what benefits do you notice after 1 month, 3 months, or 12 months?

I did S&S by the book for at least a straight 18 months. Lost some body fat, body composition for the better, got strong as heck.
When I started I could NOT even press 32kg. By the end of my S&S run I was doing getups and swings with 40kg and pressing the 32kg for reps and even a couple press reps with the 36kg.
In all honesty I got stronger with S&S than I have doing other programs with lots of clean and pressing. C&P may make your body look more developed and defined but S&S made me stronger.

Last edited:
I've just bought the online Simple & Sinister course and want to take it seriously. I also want to be minimalistic here so I don't want to pursue multiple programs at once.

Has anyone been pursuing this S&S program ONLY and what benefits do you notice after 1 month, 3 months, or 12 months?
After a year of near daily practice and reaching Simple:

I felt fit and athletic. (For me.) I moved well.

I felt mentally and emotionally well. S&S gave me a boost of the feel-goods better than heavy weights or even running.

I'm not currently running S&S at the moment but I did years ago for a good 18 months. I got much stronger and had a huge increase in my conditioning. I've never been very good at get-ups but when I did them consistently they were great. I was able to increase my pull up numbers without really doing them and when I was training BJJ I had much better mat cardio than before I started. Oddly, the biggest change was to my running times as I was able to shave 90 seconds off my 1.5 mile run without ever running. I often performed my swings on the minute so that may have really helped with my running/conditioning. Whatever it was , the program provides back what you put into it.

Out of curiosity, what is your starting point?
What have you been doing until now?

Benefits for me include moving better, less pain, sneaky strength gains. Nothing earth-shattering, but definitely life-changing. More defined forearms and glutes. S&S is secretly breath and relaxation training. You practice and learn how to “relax” in tension, tense at the right moments in swings to produce easy, repeatable power, and how to calm down between sets. The whole thing is like a zen koan, and why so many people who try it still don’t get it, even some of the SF instructors. It is doing without doing. Everyone tries to make it “something,” and it really isn’t anything, which is exactly what most people need. Nothing. It’s not a workout nor exercise program, and it’s not a panacea to answer all questions, neither. It’s basic, repeatable practice, done when you can, in the space between beats. Don’t think in terms of time, just do it until it feels like nothing, and continue doing that. You don’t have to be a minimalist about it. Practice and have fun, you’ll naturally start practicing other kb moves and improve without “programming” them in. It’s great for someone who hates planning/programming.

Actually, I guess all of that is kind of earth-shattering, perhaps?

You didn’t ask, but just want to add that the secret of S&S is nothing. Do nothing.

10x10 with one or two hands. And TGU on each side 10 or a total of 10, which is 5 left and 5 right. Or 10 left and 10 right.

10x10 with one or two hands. And TGU on each side 10 or a total of 10, which is 5 left and 5 right. Or 10 left and 10 right.
One arm swings. Five left / Five right.
And there are also two ‘versions’ of simple… timed and untimed

Thanks for the clarification guys :) And is there an achievement of Sinister and if so, what are the requirements there.

Thanks for the clarification guys :) And is there an achievement of Sinister and if so, what are the requirements there.
10 sets of 10 one hand swings @ 48kg in 5 minutes, rest 1 minute, 10 sets of 1 getup @ 48kg in 10 minutes.

I've never tried TGU, and I've never been involved in such exercises. I have serious doubts that I might not be able to do a TGU even with my light KB18, but I'll try.

I've never tried TGU, and I've never been involved in such exercises. I have serious doubts that I might not be able to do a TGU even with my light KB18, but I'll try.
Break the movement down into the individual parts, practice, and before you know it you’ll be doing the whole thing.

I saw similar results as @ShawnM when I was just doing S&S. Strength went up as expected, but my run time went down and it was way easier for me to go on long (10+ mile) hikes in the mountains than when I had been muddling through powerlifting or calisthenics. I could even run Spartan races easily despite not running more than 1.5 miles at a clip for one month out of the year. S&S as a stand-alone program was a good one stop shop for me.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom