all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Anyone doing only S&S program? Benefits over time?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

For a while, I ran only S&S. Below is what I noticed, back then:
- It allowed me to run a 5k fairly easily without previous training (probably bad form, etc...)
- It permitted me to ruck effortlessly in the woods / moutains
- It transfered to 2x bdw DL
- It gave a drastic improvement in conditioning for everything "everyday life related" (chopping wood, lifting weird stuff, heavy DIY...)

That's not that bad for a two moves only routine. However, it can not replace a specific training. For instance, it will never allow you to do 30 pull ups (neither maintain this ability), or doing a pistol squat "from scratch", or can not replace a proper running training if you want to go longer than 10k. Funny enough, it seems "enough" to maintain or even increase rucking ability.

Kind regards,

Pet'
I think it's important to discuss the starting point for everyone.
For me for example, I have started S&S being able to run 5k, having 2x body weight deadlift and 12+ strict pull-ups.
I give 100% that I have got there by doing something else by the way.
I wounder, what should I expect from S&S in this case...

Hello @Pavel.Kosenkov

You are totally right. Back then, I was not running. This was a pure "test". Before that, I was doing circuits with sandbag / bulgarian bag and bodyweight exercises. It changed everyday.

I tend to view S&S (meaning Simple) as a baseline or chassis. This is some sort of compromise between strength and conditioning. There are plenty of more effective and efficient ways to get stronger than working up to Sinister. Same with conditioning.

Kind regards,

Pet'

For me for example, I have started S&S being able to run 5k, having 2x body weight deadlift and 12+ strict pull-ups.

Most of what I got out of S&S were newbie kettlebell skills.

It didn't really make me any stronger or more explosive (220 kg clean DL, 165 kg squat, 117 kg C&J, 88 kg snatch), or better conditioned (2k row time 6:52).

Once I got the KB skills, I can re-engage at the Simple 32 kg level during a de-load week and, after blowing off some cobwebs and rust, be back to where I was within a session or two.

The best KB results for me came when I switched to double KBs.

Double KB C&P/J + FSQ is the closest I get to feeling like barbell training without using one.

I can tell @Geoff Neupert has spent a lot of time with barbells because his double KB programs feel almost like I'm using one.

I also got a lot of benefits from doing "KB" exercises that aren't in S&S such as windmills, waiter walks, and rack walks.

Last edited:
Most of what I got out of S&S were newbie kettlebell skills.

It didn't really make me any stronger or more explosive (220 kg clean DL, 165 kg squat, 117 kg C&J, 88 kg snatch), or better conditioned (2k row time 6:52).

Once I got the KB skills, I can re-engage at the Simple 32 kg level during a de-load week and, after blowing off some cobwebs and rust, be back to where I was within a session or two.

The best KB results for me came when I switched to double KBs.

Double KB C&P/J + FSQ is the closest I get to feeling like barbell training without using one.

I can tell @Geoff Neupert has spent a lot of time with barbells because his double KB programs feel almost like I'm using one.

I also got a lot of benefits from doing "KB" exercises that aren't in S&S such as windmills, waiter walks, and rack walks.
Amazing, thank you for that

I hit the swings without too much issues untimed, but the TGU I got to 24 and struggled. I started learning C&P which didn’t take too long and then that was it. I moved to Giant and Strong.

I don’t like swings, they are a wonderful exercise that give great results, but I just prefer other movements. I do enjoy TGU, and lots of time spent with double kb C&P means I can now do 28kg TGU’s. Usually, I do lighter paused TGUs as I think they don’t need to be done heavy regularly to get the benefits, but I do enjoy trying to go heavy occasionally.

I can definitely see the benefit for me to revisit S&S next year, maybe an 8 week block.

To awnser your question, I wrote this (quoted below) some two years ago on reddit on a similar question as yours

I guess it depends on your current strength level. When I reached Simple I noticed higher degree of flexibility in my hamstrings and more open hips. I definitely got stronger in swings and get-ups, but lost strength in my bench. 115kg prior to S&S and 90kg after. I used to run a lot prior to S&S (half marathons and trail races). Did not run during S&S journey but rather did it by the book. Did my first 45min run (long, slow steady state) and it was not comfortable at all. Could do 3x10 Pull-ups prior to S&S with 10kg strapped on in a weight belt. Could do 8 unweighted after S&S.

Of course you get weaker in the movements you don't train (unless you gets struck by the "what the hell-effect of kettlebell", I have not).

I started S&S in my late fifties and ran it for 20 months by the book to get to a repeatable fairly easy timeless simple. I was a long distance runner for a decade before starting S&S with no strength training experience at all. The program gave me the physical capacity (strength and endurance) to put in a large brick patio at 60 years old by myself. The job entailed excavating 34 wheel barrow loads of dirt, hauling in a large bunch of sand and more bricks than I ever want to remember. I never could have done this at my age prior to S&S especially with a lifetime behind a desk as an IT technical/manager person.

I started S&S in my late fifties and ran it for 20 months by the book to get to a repeatable fairly easy timeless simple. I was a long distance runner for a decade before starting S&S with no strength training experience at all. The program gave me the physical capacity (strength and endurance) to put in a large brick patio at 60 years old by myself. The job entailed excavating 34 wheel barrow loads of dirt, hauling in a large bunch of sand and more bricks than I ever want to remember. I never could have done this at my age prior to S&S especially with a lifetime behind a desk as an IT technical/manager person.
These are the program reviews I enjoy reading more than “it took my press from 12kg to 20kg” etc.

Really made a measurable positive difference to your life outside of training, that’s what it’s all about (for me).

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom