all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Anyone else highly dislike taking days off?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

MattM

SFG1
Every single time I take a day off I find the next workout to be extremely difficult, mentally and physically. I don't know what it is but I just don't have it the next day.

I took yesterday off (ate a ton of healthy food, slept great last night), not because I had to (I didn't even want to), but because I felt it was the right thing to do after 5 consecutive pretty hard days (swings, pullups, dips, carries). AND I was fighting a chest/head cold the entire time but managed to have pretty good sessions.

I just had a terrible workout, am I alone in disliking rest days?

Maybe you needed a second rest day. Some people call them weekends. o_O

I'll be 49 in April so rest is good for me. I bruised my heel on a hard floor Friday night when my hand slipped while doing fingertip pull ups so my current rest is not optional.

Rest really is good for you.

Sort of. I think this is why I am attracted to Pavel's programs and those like them, because I can have more frequent sessions while still recovering well. That sort of program, plus walking on off days so that I get to move around and my schedule remains the same, is my ideal.

I always take at least 1 total day of no bells and no serious OS work. If I do anything those days other than playing with my kids/chores it is some mobility work/stretching.

I've always had the inertia problem. When I'm going it's hard to stop, when I'm stopped it's hard to get going. Lately getting going is the bigger problem. Age is taking its toll. I recommend forming really good habits before you get old. No workout is a terrible workout (assuming you don't hurt yourself).

I'll be 49 in April ... my current rest is not optional.
Age makes a difference, I must admit. What you're used to makes a difference, too - when I was an every day runner, missing a day felt awful and the next day back felt awful. And it's how you train that makes a difference, too - if you're GTG kind of person, moderate but varied efforts every day, then maybe you really don't need a day off and there's not a reason to take one regularly.

No one size fits all here, IMHO.

-S-

I dislike off days. I just can´t sit still. I usely keep one off day in the week though.
like kbell12 said, it is also one of the reason I am attracted to Pavel´s work. Lots of sessions, but still you recover well.

I have to say I´ve never encounterd any problems getting started again after an off day though

From my experience if I am feeling beat up, I have a light technique or tinker day. I usually feel much better after. If I am busy and not able to get in some type of exercise soreness and tightness sets in for a few days.

Some of my best training sessions are when I do not feel like lifting. I always take extra care to warmup well. I am very active, and love SMR and yoga so I never really take "days off".

I often think what is a day off? Sitting on the couch all day? Training is a large part of my life. I need it to function. My wife says I am addicted. I guess I am. I say "There are much worse things".

Hello,

As Pavel says "Power loves rest". Basically, I like doing physical activities. Nevertheless, my progression is far more better when I take some rest (either stretching or "full" recovery - meaning nothing). Besides, rest avoids injuries. Indeed, when you are injured, you are obliged to stop for a while...

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom