all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Anyone else prefer training with Competition Kettlebells ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I’m not a fan, especially for doubles I’m 5’11” and when doing double cleans I have to spread my legs significantly wider (that’s what she said) than with cast iron bells. Also I like the “horns” for 2 handed swings, goblet squats, and halos.

I'm your height, but I don't swing clean, so I don't really run into this.

Comp bells are made specifically to compete in girevoy sport.

I own cast iron. Last bell I bought was 2013. I like the bluntness of the cast iron. No pretty colors or looking like the inside of an M&M packet.

As long as the handles are good and are comfortable in the rack, I'm good.
I swear I can swing my red ones faster

I’m 5’9” and have no issue with leg clearance from double comps. Females use the same size of bell for longycle competition and seem to be able to clear their legs just fine.

I’m 5’9” and have no issue with leg clearance from double comps. Females use the same size of bell for longycle competition and seem to be able to clear their legs just fine.
I’m 5’7” with a 30 inch inner thigh and have no issues double wielding comp bells. I just did the giant 1.0 week 2 with 2x28kg. I’m finding these arguments rather ludicrous and as you have said, Female gireviks wield them just fine also.

The absolute worst tears I’ve ever had on my hands were all chalk related.
I'm very attached to my sock sleeves, myself. I had about a week of snatches without them and got close to multiple tears. I know technique is an issue. I promise, as a guitarist I can understand that going through with it, can be the best way forward.

But, sock sleeves have kept my calluses from becoming a problem; and in every season so far.

I'm very attached to my sock sleeves, myself. I had about a week of snatches without them and got close to multiple tears. I know technique is an issue. I promise, as a guitarist I can understand that going through with it, can be the best way forward.

But, sock sleeves have kept my calluses from becoming a problem; and in every season so far.
I just file mine down with a pumice stone. I don’t use chalk any more and don’t really experience tears. The one with the chalk was a triangle of flesh gouged out of the saddle of my thumb right in the palm and it took forever to heal. So now no chalk.

We recommend the kind of kettlebells we sell here
Ah there we go, it all makes sense now.

@Kev do you use anything at all in replacement of chalk? I've had a few tears myself and have found a rice buckets is a good way to take the moisture out of the palms.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kev
Ah there we go. It all makes sense now.

@Kev do you use anything at all in replacement of chalk? I've had a few tears myself and have found a rice buckets is a good way to take the moisture out of the palms.
Just a towel mate. Dry my hands and the bell handle and try and keep the callouses low. It’s not uncommon for me to go nuts with the pumice stone between sets if I feel a bit of the callous sprout up that might catch. Surgical spirit can toughen up the hands also. Also lol at “it all makes sense now”

Last edited:
Ah there we go, it all makes sense now.

It‘s all about money and marketing!

Btw. I am also only using comp bells (except my beast is a cast iron).
We have iron kettlebells at work and I always miss the comp bells when I use them. Like many things, it‘s just a personal choice and depends on preferences.

I think there’s a fear comp bells are a gateway drug to girevoy sport. As if being a wiry mofo who long cycles for 10 minutes straight is actually a bad thing.

We don't do girevoy sport here. We don't do French cooking or F1 racing, either, but that doesn't mean we don't like any of those things. We also don't do swimming, baseball - lots of things.

-S-

What do you mean we “don’t do it here”? We can’t discuss it?
It was an attempt at humor. There is no fear of GS here, and being a great GS athlete isn't a bad thing. They're just not things StrongFirst does and therefore we don't recommend them, just like we don't recommend GS bells for our programs.

I'm out of this one. Have a nice day.

-S-

It was an attempt at humor. There is no fear of GS here, and being a great GS athlete isn't a bad thing. They're just not things StrongFirst does and therefore we don't recommend them, just like we don't recommend GS bells for our programs.

I'm out of this one. Have a nice day.

-S-
My days are always good. You too.

Comfort is not something I look for in my training - you seem to think it's better but it's not better or worse, it's just more comfortable. Your comfort or enjoyment really isn't our concern, your results are.
For what it’s worth I think comfort and enjoyment are important when it comes to exercise.

All due respect, Mr. Friedes is way more accomplished weight lifter, but if I did t enjoy my training I’d probably quit and then it wouldn’t be very effective! Also, while I think some training outside your “comfort zone” is important I don’t think training with uncomfortable equipment is valuable (I had a cheap bell with very rough handles I replaced cause it just wasn’t worth the discomfort)

I actually find cast iron bells to be more comfortable for goblet squats and two-handed work.

Finally, I have both styles of bell and while I lean toward iron, I cannot quite part with my competition bells…

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom