all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Anyone here do any BJJ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Usually when people talk about “traditional martial arts”, they are referring to styles or systems that don’t train with “aliveness” against a resisting opponent.

Matt Thornton explains aliveness well here:

Yes, good read and I fully agree on the aliveness part.
I have done some seminars with a JKD club (both teaching and getting taught), and they have some really interesting techniques and applications in their striking.

Video from a Bjj black belt. An extremely popular 1. Former navy seal. A Joe rogan podcast guest.
Talks about how he beat a seal who did traditional martial arts for years with 1 year of jiujitsu. And easily.
Traditional martial arts aren't good options. Stick to what works.
Please don't assume I'm wrong even though you may have been taught the opposite. Please be open minded.
I assume nintai ryu etc is a traditional martial art

as you asked me to keep an open mind, you also need to keep an open mind...
Yes, Nintai Ryu is based on traditional systems. But there have been several modifications. Especially to the training and teaching methods.

I have trained with BJJ, Sambo, Muay Thai, Systema, Judo, Catch Wrestling, Boxing and several other guys from various other other systems. When we spar, I hold my own quite well with any of them. Do not assume a "traditional sounding title" system is a dead system. Our training is quite alive and well pressure tested...

It all depends on "HOW" you train in a system. I can tell you for a fact the "sport" BJJ guys have no clue how to survive the streets. They had problems dealing with "real" violence. I however did not have problems with the limitations of their rules during "sport play"...

But meh, to each their own.

It all depends on "HOW" you train in a system. I can tell you for a fact the "sport" BJJ guys have no clue how to survive the streets. They had problems dealing with "real" violence. I however did not have problems with the limitations of their rules during "sport play"...

But meh, to each their own.
What are you basing the real violence on? When I lived in a fighter house I got to see sport BJJ guys get into fights all the time and they handled it fine. Even when they pulled guard lol. I’ve seen BJJ dudes get hit with chairs and thrown off four foot stages and be able to handle the violence well.

What are you basing the real violence on? When I lived in a fighter house I got to see sport BJJ guys get into fights all the time and they handled it fine. Even when they pulled guard lol. I’ve seen BJJ dudes get hit with chairs and thrown off four foot stages and be able to handle the violence well.
BJJ is great if you love it. But it's only a small part of "the fight game". BJJ is starting to suffer the same problems as the other "traditional" systems. Look at how MMA has evolved. You can't be a one trick pony anymore if you want to be successful in MMA. Don't take my word for it, ask Rickson Gracie about his thoughts on Sport BJJ.

The guys taking the chair hits, were they doing BJJ at the time? Or did they abandon all of that for other skills more appropriate to the current situation? Look up Richard Dimitri or Tony Blauer for the type of pressure testing I would use for "real violence"... In fact, I used to be a student of Rich's way back when. So I do have some kind of understanding on how to pressure test for street violence as opposed to ring fighting.

I've already verified to myself by sparring with talented fighters under their rules. I've verified with these same people what would happen if we start to remove rules. And I will continue to verify it occasionally with experts of other systems. I know I'm on an honest path.

Anyways, as Jocko said in his video... Not interested in these "discussion" anymore...
Vivre la difference mon ami.

BJJ is great if you love it. But it's only a small part of "the fight game". BJJ is starting to suffer the same problems as the other "traditional" systems. Look at how MMA has evolved. You can't be a one trick pony anymore if you want to be successful in MMA. Don't take my word for it, ask Rickson Gracie about his thoughts on Sport BJJ.

The guys taking the chair hits, were they doing BJJ at the time? Or did they abandon all of that for other skills more appropriate to the current situation? Look up Richard Dimitri or Tony Blauer for the type of pressure testing I would use for "real violence"... In fact, I used to be a student of Rich's way back when. So I do have some kind of understanding on how to pressure test for street violence as opposed to ring fighting.

I've already verified to myself by sparring with talented fighters under their rules. I've verified with these same people what would happen if we start to remove rules. And I will continue to verify it occasionally with experts of other systems. I know I'm on an honest path.

Anyways, as Jocko said in his video... Not interested in these "discussion" anymore...
Vivre la difference mon ami.
I don’t know what you mean, by doing BJJ at the time. They were 100% sport BJJ guys in the brawl, their background and fight knowledge was entirely sport BJJ. I think that informed their decisions during the fight. Seems like a bit of a “no true Scotsman” scenario if you consider that a BJJ guy in a fight who is successful, is successful because they abandoned their training.

Good luck with your training homie, I’m glad you’re getting what you want out of it and are happy with your path!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom