all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Anyone here do any BJJ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

pedevowi

Level 1 Valued Member
I'm really tempted to take it up after watching the early series of UFC events.

When I first got into UFC I hated the grappling but after watching the first 6 events I'm fascinated by the skill level and the sweeps and guards.

I'm 29 s leaving it a bit late to take up but I reckon it'll be really interesting to learn.

Has anyone else done any BJJ training?

Yes, you will find quite a few folks here who practice BJJ. I have been training for about three years now myself. Personally I started when I was 29. I am of the opinion that it's never too late to start. If you have any interest at all I would highly recommend it.

I am a BJJ instructor - I'd say the most common age range students start with us is mid-20's into mid-30's. That said, we have some who start in their 50's or beyond. Have fun getting started!

I trained a little BJJ in my 20s, a little in my 30s, and have been training a LOT in my 40s. I got back on the mats at 40, and am 46 now.

We have 19 year olds and 50+ year olds on the mats on most days.

BJJ is pretty adaptable to what you give it. If you're interested, I would absolutely dive in. It's truly life changing.

Yes, you will find quite a few folks here who practice BJJ. I have been training for about three years now myself. Personally I started when I was 29. I am of the opinion that it's never too late to start. If you have any interest at all I would highly recommend it.
thank you so much for your suggestion

I’ve come to realize that basically every forum poster on the internet does BJJ nowadays.
nahh...not all of us...
I primarily do Nintai Ryu Aikijujitsu, and "on the side" do Judo. I've done a few other things in the past besides.
One day I'll drop Judo and add something else. Nintai Ryu for life though...

I've had fun with BJJ guests...

nahh...not all of us...
I primarily do Nintai Ryu Aikijujitsu, and "on the side" do Judo. I've done a few other things in the past besides.
One day I'll drop Judo and add something else. Nintai Ryu for life though...

I've had fun with BJJ guests...

Video from a Bjj black belt. An extremely popular 1. Former navy seal. A Joe rogan podcast guest.
Talks about how he beat a seal who did traditional martial arts for years with 1 year of jiujitsu. And easily.
Traditional martial arts aren't good options. Stick to what works.
Please don't assume I'm wrong even though you may have been taught the opposite. Please be open minded.
I assume nintai ryu etc is a traditional martial art

Video from a Bjj black belt. An extremely popular 1. Former navy seal. A Joe rogan podcast guest.
Talks about how he beat a seal who did traditional martial arts for years with 1 year of jiujitsu. And easily.
Traditional martial arts aren't good options. Stick to what works.
Please don't assume I'm wrong even though you may have been taught the opposite. Please be open minded.
I assume nintai ryu etc is a traditional martial art

"Traditional martial arts" is a very broad term, though, and there are certainly arts within that category that have emphasized pragmatic techniques and training methods. I have no experience with Ninjutsu, but have learned useful stuff from people with background in Silat, Kali, Judo and (full contact based) karate.

Usually when people talk about “traditional martial arts”, they are referring to styles or systems that don’t train with “aliveness” against a resisting opponent.

Matt Thornton explains aliveness well here:

Out of all the traditional M Arts as a youngster I disregarded Judo even though it was popular here and coaching was of a good standard. I attribute this to the popularity of the Karate Kid and Rocky:) one of the few regrets I have in terms of sports/competing..now spend my evenings watching Travis Stevens and Jimmy Pedro instructionals..

Out of all the traditional M Arts as a youngster I disregarded Judo even though it was popular here and coaching was of a good standard. I attribute this to the popularity of the Karate Kid and Rocky:) one of the few regrets I have in terms of sports/competing..now spend my evenings watching Travis Stevens and Jimmy Pedro instructionals..
Same here. I have very few regrets in life, but if I could go back 30 years, I would quit Tae Kwon Do and join the high school wrestling team. Very few people back then understood that wrestling is an amazingly effective martial art.

Waited until 49 to start and luckily found a great club that helped temper my ambitions and kept me going. Reminds me of my other passions, surfing and climbing; once it’s in your heart it’s a life long passion. I hope that it resonates for you.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom