all posts post new thread

Nutrition Anyone here eat this regularly?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

LEGENDARY70

Level 2 Valued Member
Another Tex-Mex tradition for me is cucumber sliced, with lime and chili powder (ex: tajin, etc) or salt.

Anyone else eat something similar on carnivore?

One more question.

Should i be counting calories on carnivore? I have dropped approx. 35 lbs since May. I seem to be stuck at 199. My goal is to get back to my military weight of 169. Now I admit I have been cheating a little lately, only once a week maybe every two weeks. Would that be the reason for staying at 199 for the last two weeks? or is it my calorie intake?

my usual day:

Breakfast: scrambled eggs with either chorizo, bacon or sausage mixed together. Or boiled eggs.
Lunch: meat leftovers. Ex: fajita, ribeye, beef ribs or bacon.
dinner: usually meat, avocado and chicharrones. Or over easy eggs with bacon, sausage etc and chicharrones.

Drink lots of water. for dinner usually crystal light ( 0 everything) or flavored water subs also 0 everything.

Thank you.

Veggies are good for you, pretty much eat as much as you want.

Weightloss is calories in and calories out. So counting calories would be one way to approach it. Else swap out your fat heavy cuts for more protein heavy cuts Of meat.

One more question.

Should i be counting calories on carnivore? I have dropped approx. 35 lbs since May. I seem to be stuck at 199. My goal is to get back to my military weight of 169. Now I admit I have been cheating a little lately, only once a week maybe every two weeks. Would that be the reason for staying at 199 for the last two weeks? or is it my calorie intake?

If you're not in a deficit, you won't lose weight.

If it's not your caloric intake, it's your total energy expenditure.

If you've lost 35 lbs since May, your body has probably undergone adaptive thermogenesis by now.

It may be time for a diet break.

See the MATADOR study.

my usual day:

Breakfast: scrambled eggs with either chorizo, bacon or sausage mixed together. Or boiled eggs.
Lunch: meat leftovers. Ex: fajita, ribeye, beef ribs or bacon.
dinner: usually meat, avocado and chicharrones. Or over easy eggs with bacon, sausage etc and chicharrones.

Just eyeballing this...

Carnivore diet or not, I'm 20 lbs heavier than you and your usual day looks like a cheat day for me, calorically.

That looks like 2700-3000 calories if you eat portions that I would expect for a 200 lb guy.

When I'm in a cut, I'm usually hitting 2000-2200 calories a day.

My bodyweight is 228 lbs right now.

Here is my food for Thursday, which was a weightlifting training day, but a light day:

��������������

Another Tex-Mex tradition for me is cucumber sliced, with lime and chili powder (ex: tajin, etc) or salt.

Anyone else eat something similar on carnivore?

Me personally, generally no, I don't eat that. Carnivore, in its strictest sense, means avoiding plant matter entirely. With a few exceptions (being out for dinner with friends, etc.,) I've eaten almost no plant matter in three years. Now there are a few different rationales for eating no plants. One is that most plants are by definition, toxic to some degree - and the reasoning for this is that, lacking teeth or claws, plants, who don't want to die any more than anyone else, can only defend themselves through chemical warfare. There is certainly plenty of controversy and argument to be had around this - there are definitely people who tolerate plant matter less well than others, for a variety of reasons, but are plants "toxic" for everyone, and in any amount? Maybe not.

Another rationale is that plant matter is completely redundant in terms of nutrition - there is no micro or macro nutrient found in plant matter that isn't present in beef and eggs, and more bioavailable. Example - spinach is supposed to be rich in iron, and it is ... but you actually absorb and use very little of the iron found in spinach. Most humans would be much better off eating just a few bites of steak than they would be eating a pound of spinach. This rationale I think is very well supported, and it's the reason I don't eat plants - I don't really want to eat most plant matter and I'm firmly convinced I don't need to eat it for any reason, so I just don't bother.

All that said: carnivore is not a religion, and if a little cucumber improves your life, I know of very few carnivores that would tell you not to have it, especially if you don't think it gives you any trouble. Also, interestingly, cucumber is a fruit - and fruits are the exception to the whole chemical warfare hypothesis - reason being, plants "want" you to eat the fruit in order to assist in the spreading of the seeds, so fruits are generally found to not have the toxins found in other parts of the plant, and they're usually colorful and appealing, because they're trying to lure in predators. Most fruit is sugary and perhaps therefore should be limited, but cucumbers of course are not, so it's kind of a free pass.

Wow. That's a lot of detail. Even when cutting for a competition, I just know what I can eat and eat that, and aim for feeling a little, but not a lot, hungry at the end of each day.

-S-

It's mainly to make sure I'm eating enough.

In this stage of competition prep, I'm trying to stay within a pretty narrow zone, and if I go by instinct, I end up under-eating by 100-300 calories.

Which may not sound like a lot, but it impacts recovery.

Post-season, I don't bother being this precise, and maintenance calories will be about 2500-2700.

there is no micro or macro nutrient found in plant matter that isn't present in beef and eggs, and more bioavailable.

What about vitamin C?

Vitamin C is the only essential vitamin not found in useful amounts in cooked animal foods.

Thank you all.

I watched the following video and was very informative. Check it out. Now I will be fasting from 8pm to 12pm, Hopefully that will get me over the the 199 hump.

What about vitamin C?

Funnily enough I just read through Dr Layne Norton's "Paul Saladino's Carnivore Podcast" breakdown and he addressed this. If you are familiar with his "Game Changers Vegan" breakdown, this is in a similar vein.

He points out that the Carnivore advocate says that 10mg of vitamin C is enough to prevent scurvy... But also that he downplays what the optimal amount is for long term health which is much higher.

Thank you all.

I watched the following video and was very informative. Check it out. Now I will be fasting from 8pm to 12pm, Hopefully that will get me over the the 199 hump.

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but....

Changing your fasting window alone probably won't get you over the hump if you're still in a surplus.

It will only work if it causes you to eat less calories as a behavioral hack.

Last edited:
Funnily enough I just read through Dr Layne Norton's "Paul Saladino's Carnivore Podcast" breakdown and he addressed this. If you are familiar with his "Game Changers Vegan" breakdown, this is in a similar vein.

He points out that the Carnivore advocate says that 10mg of vitamin C is enough to prevent scurvy... But also that he downplays what the optimal amount is for long term health which is much higher.

Arbitrarily outlawing whole categories of foods always seemed asinine to me.

We're omnivores.

Yeah, too much fructose is bad.

Scurvy and other vitamin deficiencies are bad, too.

Pick a middle path.

That podcast has caused my opinion of Saladino to go down a bit.

Last edited:

So what your saying is to cut down on calorie intake? thx

Question. So when i am fasting for 16 a day, usually from 7pm to around 12pm is it ok for me to drink water and also a cup of black coffee? thx

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom