all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Anyone into floor sleeping?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Eyetic

Level 6 Valued Member
I was reading some curious articles and blogs about floor sleeping and how the bed industry has stablished how we should sleep creating those ultra-mega-hyper technologic beds.

Do anyone in this forum sleep on the floor? like some Japaneses or Chineses already do? There are some interesting topics about how beneficial is for shoulders and back health and thats why I was considering getting into it.

I have been known to sleep on the floor on occasion but I need a bed to store my junk underneath.

My best ever sleeps have been on minimalist bedding. Futons are definitely a winner for me.

I am on the floor (a carpet + a blanket on it) for four or five months now as my mattress was a bit worn out. With it my oak bed went away out of the (bed)room. The first night was a bit unfamiliar but then sleep was and still is pretty good. No special wth effects apart from putting a bed in the non-essential category.

So its not that uncommon! Some pics would help here...futon, carpet + blanket, whatever! Would you take a pic of where you sleep on?

When I got out of Army (age 21 years) I slept on the floor regularly until I moved in with my wife-to-be some years later. I had a comfortable bed but preferred the floor and slept directly on the carpet, usually just covered with my dressing gown or a doona if it was cool. I used a thin pillow. I experienced no discomfort - no back or neck pain, wasn't cold etc. I don't know why but I just preferred the floor at that time. I didn't have a problem with the sponginess or lack of support of the mattress or the elevated temperature of a bed, which were reasons put to me as to why I might prefer the floor. In my Army service I did sleep on the ground on exercise quite a bit, maybe I got the idea from that.

I slept on the floor from 2013 through 2016. Originally I gave up my mattress for Lent and just never started using it again.

Overall, I slept extraordinarily well. The hardness of the floor really made my back feel great. It also made me feel vastly superior to my peers because I required less to be comfortable.

I do it every now and again. I have persistent sleep trouble and I think sometimes sleeping on the floor makes me realise how comfy my bed is, therefore helping me to get to sleep. It’s easy to take your bed for granted.

When I got out of Army (age 21 years) I slept on the floor regularly until I moved in with my wife-to-be some years later. I had a comfortable bed but preferred the floor and slept directly on the carpet, usually just covered with my dressing gown or a doona if it was cool. I used a thin pillow. I experienced no discomfort - no back or neck pain, wasn't cold etc. I don't know why but I just preferred the floor at that time. I didn't have a problem with the sponginess or lack of support of the mattress or the elevated temperature of a bed, which were reasons put to me as to why I might prefer the floor. In my Army service I did sleep on the ground on exercise quite a bit, maybe I got the idea from that.
Some of the best sleeps I’ve ever had were in the bush on the ground in the army, although they were always short!

Some of the best sleeps I’ve ever had were in the bush on the ground in the army, although they were always short!
I liked Army life and if it weren't for lack of sleep and having to shave in cold water would probably still be there. I did query the leadership on why we couldn't win wars with a good night's sleep and a beard but to no avail. (Even SF shaved back then.)

On "the bed industry has stablished how we should sleep creating those ultra-mega-hyper technologic beds."

There is a design philosophy now that you should fit the environment (or product) to the human (rather than fitting the human to the product. ) It comes from a misunderstanding (and or misuse) or ergonomics\human factors engineering. In fact, decisions are meant to be made around allocation of function to either human or environment rather than always to the environment rather than the human.

Part of this misunderstanding of allocation of function is driven by marketting - if people like your product more than other ones they buy it, even if it is unnecessary or bad for them. There is now agreement that sitting too much has adverse health consequences yet, the use of "ergonomic" overly padded chairs that force the spine into a C shape facilitates poor shoulder\neck posture is discussed less. Even the seats in many cars put the persons torso\shoulders\neck\head into that C shape. Similarly, poor "ergonomic" bed design will do the same thing.
If people do not have sufficient compensatory physical activity (ie during living + exercise) then they become stuck in that forward position.

I am convinced that there are postural benefits in having a relatively flat bed like a futon on a solid flat base or similar arrangement. I slept on one for many years but my wife wanted to change to a mattress- we got a fairly flat one though to go on our wood slat bed base.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom