all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Anyone into sleds?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

MattM

SFG1
Used one for the first time ever today. Really liked it.

What's a good distance/weight to shoot for? The strip of turf at the gym is probably only 20 yards (if that).

It's a pain to turn the sled around when I get to the end so I guess I'll settle for more weight and short distances.

There is no doubt that sleds are a killer conditioning tool.
I have only ever used them in the hand over hand pulling mode. This is a common implement in Spartan racing.

Typically I have seen them used as a 'power' tool. Force x speed. I have never seen one used as a slow speed pure strength tool. Not saying that it couldn't be though. I would include things like car pushing more in the strength realm.

I have used them for a good period. I would say anywhere from 90# for speed and 270# for strength. If it's a prowler, grab the handles on the bottom of the other side and push low on the way back. Otherwise, attach a harness to it to pull it backwards facing the sled. You can also attach a fastrope to it and do rows or a Y-strap and do chest presses. The best part of a sled is the lack of eccentric loading so you can hit it hard pretty often and not beat yourself up.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom