all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Anyone into stand up paddle boarding?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Gassyndrome

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi all,

I had a chance to go out for a SUP session yesterday. 30 degrees here in Oz, sun shining, crystal clear water, stingrays and schools of fish flitting around beneath me. A morning on the water like that got me thinking this is something I should be taking up on a more regular basis.

Anyone else into this? Any advice for a would be paddler?

Cheers,
Simon.

With conditions as you describe it should be The Law.
My first SUP lesson here in Scotland was cancelled because of the wind. Still, ball shrinking cold waters, cloudy, filthy water, floating nuclear waste, used condoms and beer cans provide the inspiration in these parts. I'll swap you!!

30 degrees, I'm in the wrong part of the country, it's been 42 here for the last two days.

I could be mistaken but I seem to remember @Anna C having a pic of herself on a stand up board as her avatar at one stage.

I tried once. Wasn't very good at it. If remember correctly my feet were really sore the next day.

Yes I do SUP fairly often. Use your hinge pattern with the hips, plant the paddle, engage the lats, keep the spine stable left to right with natural curves and good posture, pull the paddle back towards you with a nice even stroke... all the same lessons from kettlebells.

My friend does some racing and has a SpeedCoach GPS device that goes on the front of the board. I tried it once and it was really useful to be able to see your speed and see what technique changes actually make you faster.

Other than that, just enjoy. It's a great activity.

Love to SUP ! Anna C has laid out some basic rules of engagement, plenty of other tips on YouTube. Stick to calm waters at the outset, can put a small pet or child on the front of decent size board to go along for the ride with you.

No, but please go on more, I've been interested for a while. How much does getting started cost?

No, but please go on more, I've been interested for a while. How much does getting started cost?

Not sure where you live but during warm weather local places often have great groupon specials for paddleboarding/kayaking. Usually 1 or 2 hour sessions.

Stand up paddleboard surfing was the hardest, most fun workout I have ever had. Absolutely exhausting, but so fun that you don't really realize you are exercising.

I recommend watching a couple of youtube videos on paddling technique. It makes a big difference. The paddle stroke has lots in common with a one handed kettlebell swing.

With conditions as you describe it should be The Law.
My first SUP lesson here in Scotland was cancelled because of the wind. Still, ball shrinking cold waters, cloudy, filthy water, floating nuclear waste, used condoms and beer cans provide the inspiration in these parts. I'll swap you!!

Ummmm...no thanks!

30 degrees, I'm in the wrong part of the country, it's been 42 here for the last two days.

I could be mistaken but I seem to remember @Anna C having a pic of herself on a stand up board as her avatar at one stage.

Hey Tarzan. I was on the sapphire coast of southern NSW. Beautiful place for it and it was nice and cool some days, pretty hot (37 deg) on others. Where are you?

Loads of fun. But do some classes and/or rentals before you decide to purchase.

I've done the rental thing a number of times over the last couple of years but I think I will want to actually go and purchase something now. This is something I want to do more often, alongside my MTB and kettlebells. I'm looking at the iSups from Red Paddle Co (https://redpaddleco.com) which seem to have great reviews for an all rounder, solid durability and a lot of convenience. I don't want the hassle of storage and roof racks if it can be avoided.

Yes I do SUP fairly often......

Other than that, just enjoy. It's a great activity.

Thanks Anna - what kind of water are you supping on? Inland flat water or ocean? I just had such a great time the other day, it reminded me a lot of the flow of a good MTB ride; really enjoying nature. I floated over a stingray that was half the size of my board...very cool.

Thanks Anna - what kind of water are you supping on? Inland flat water or ocean? I just had such a great time the other day, it reminded me a lot of the flow of a good MTB ride; really enjoying nature. I floated over a stingray that was half the size of my board...very cool.

Like a MTB ride... yes, I would agree! Both activities make me wonder why people are out doing similar things on motorized devices. They don't know what they're missing.

I'm mostly on flat water, in and around the Gulf of Mexico in coastal Mississippi, most of the time in waters called "bayous" around here. I've been a kayaker for about 10 years and I still do that fairly often too, but the SUP has such freedom of movement (stand, kneel, sit, stretch and do yoga...!) that the kayak now seems a bit restrictive!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom