all posts post new thread

Barbell Anyone landmine here?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

bluejeff

Level 7 Valued Member
I’ve used light landmine presses (usually in a half-kneeling position) over the years to address shoulder issues and also to train Scapular rotation, etc... I've wondered about what would happen if I focused on making it a stronger lift, even moving to standing to press more weight. Would it improve progress towards HSPU? It’s literally the exact angle you need for a freestanding HSPU. Would it improve other things? Overhead press? KB press?

Does anyone else use land mines or like them? Did you notice improvement in other pressing motions while/after using them?

There will be some transfer for sure. I use them with clients sometimes as an option for those who struggle to get overhead.

I landmine press sometimes as assistance for the bench press press and shoulder press -- sometimes one handed, sometimes two handed, which works the chest a little more.

And I do landmine rows for assistance to the deadlift. With the latter, I've not found anything that has blown my biceps so big, as well as improving my back / lat strength.

I know some powerlifters use landmines for assistance for their presses and deadlifts, and others I know who train seriously have them in their program too as assistance exercises

Personally, I enjoy them a great deal. Also good for people with a barbell a home, when the gyms are locked down, as you can put something protective around the end, and put the end in the corner of a room, and do landmines, even if you haven't got the landmine attachment, and they work just as well.

I grabbed some angle iron scraps to protect the corner. Two small pieces work great as they meet at 90°. I also found a street sign base that works too

I just ordered one for the Full Contact Twist because we're rearranging the basement gym and won't have the corner we now use. Will report on how it works when it gets here next week.

-S-

I literally just wad up a rag and wedge it between the wall and the barbell. I'm sure that an actual landmine attachment would be much better but I'm in an apartment and am not so sure how that would work

I got one for the home gym mainly for my dad who has shoulder issues. I used the landmine press and row over the summer for Fabio Zonin’s quarantine program. It was the first time I’d ever done them. I like them, especially the press. Done standing, there’s a nice bit of rotation. The row was nothing special, but they both stand in well for DBs. I’ll be doing them over the winter as assistance work.

I've used them in the past. Just another variation to circumvent the biological law of accommodation.

I didn't find them special in anyway, shape or form.

Here’s our setup. Used for Full Contact Twist.

Amazon product ASIN B01077P1W2, mounted on a leftover piece of 3/4" plywood with 2 x 70 lb dumbbells to hold it down.

-S-

Attachments

• 2D0D355C-1398-4EC9-9AE8-60324DF90A5D.jpeg
    2D0D355C-1398-4EC9-9AE8-60324DF90A5D.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 11
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom