all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Anyone tried Carmen Bott's "The Physical Wrestler" program?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Stephen B.

Level 5 Valued Member
I've been looking at Carmen Bott's Physical Wrestler program recently, as I am a high school wrestler and possible future college wrestler, as well as a BJJ competitor.

Link here: Wrestling Strength Training and Wrestling Workout Program

Carmen Bott was on the Strongfirst Podcast, and her programming seems to reflect SF principles, and the program looks like a very comprehensive and well thought out, in terms of balancing different modalities, dealing with the different athletic seasons, and having options for beginners vs advanced athletes.

Has anyone here done the program or have an opinion?

Thanks, SB.

Never done it, but seems very complex for a high school wrestler.

You might want to consider a simple program like Simple & Sinister. Swings and getups. Maybe add pull-ups and grip work. Then spend as much time as possible on the mat.

Never done it, but seems very complex for a high school wrestler.

You might want to consider a simple program like Simple & Sinister. Swings and getups. Maybe add pull-ups and grip work. Then spend as much time as possible on the mat.
Thanks for the response! I guess this means no one here has tried it.

I have done all of the above in the past (Actually, that's basically exactly what my in-season training was this winter, plus pistols). This year, I've switched out swings for snatches/cleans, still getting stronger at pullups (because I don't have a rope), and though I love getups I've found it hard to make time for them with my other training.

Honestly, if I did the program I'd probably spend less time in the gym than I do in a normal week of lifting, because I always feel like I'm missing something or not doing enough.

Bott's program seems much, much simpler, In the sense that I don't have to think about how to adapt whatever-program to my training, or the best way to incorporate pullups, or figure out whether I should bench press or overhead press or whether/how to I should add getups, because I could just do what Bott says and stop thinking about it. In theory, of course.

As for mat time, I'm doing what I can. I train at a BJJ gym, so I'm taking classes basically every day, including the Saturday wrestling class, and I'm trying to work takedowns more than everything else. Unfortunately, I've missed my school's summer wrestling camp due to me being in Hawaii right now.

I have never heard of Bott (that doesn't mean anything other than I'm not familiar with her, not that she is bad at what she does) but Joel Jamieson (Metamorphosis 8-Week Conditioning MasterProgram) and Phil Daru (Phil Daru - Train Like A World Champion) are the go-to professional combat sports S&C trainers that also have programs available, so I'd check those out as well.

The one you linked looks like a good program, I've just never heard of it so I can't actually comment on it.

If you’re serious about maximizing potential, especially before you hit your peak competition years in college, you need to get a S&C coach. A great cookie cutter program will get you results but at the end of the day, it isn’t specialized. Especially in a sport where you deal with seasonality, over use injuries and weight management a S&C coach will push you to the top.

It’s expensive and you might not have the funds to pursue it at your age, but if you do it’s something to consider.

When I was in high school I gave up wrestling and took up boxing because wrestling was too hard. Decades later I attempted yoga and went straight back to weightlifting because yoga was too hard. I have enormous respect for wrestlers and people who do yoga and a wrestler who did yoga would be the Alpha in any company

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom