all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Anyone tried/have opinions on 5BX?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

PaulGy

Level 3 Valued Member
I have only just discovered this old program. I think some of the things may be frowned on these days, like the forward flexion moves, and it obviously won't give you the physique of Dorian Yates, the strength of Sandow or the endurance of a marathoner.

But as someone just looking for a bit of GPP is it a viable option as a main or sole routine?

I have only just discovered this old program. I think some of the things may be frowned on these days, like the forward flexion moves, and it obviously won't give you the physique of Dorian Yates, the strength of Sandow or the endurance of a marathoner.

But as someone just looking for a bit of GPP is it a viable option as a main or sole routine?

This?

I'm still not sure I entirely understand the charts and progressions, but the specified exercises look pretty low key.

I’ve been using it for the last 14 weeks to after getting the green light from my ortho to resume training. It’s been fun with regards to ‘leveling up’ and progressing. Whole thing doesn’t take long, and it’s now becoming my warmup as i do other things.

As an example, I’ll do the first four exercises- then say squats or carries and finish with my two mile ruck/dog walk instead of running in place.

True, it won’t get us in world class shape- but for a simple free do anywhere thing I like it. And i was pleasantly surprised with my hill climbing on a regular hiking trail last month, my cardio felt strong.

Yes Watchnerd, that is the one.

Porter, I was pished for time yesterday so thought I's have a go and started at chart 2 - I liked it and will definitely use again when time or motivation are low. I don't enjoy training/exercise (outside sport) usually but actually enjoyed it.

This?

I'm still not sure I entirely understand the charts and progressions, but the specified exercises look pretty low key.

Yes, it's not greatly explained (including sometimes for each individual exercise), which is irritating. My interpretation is this:

- the exercises are numbered by the sequence of columns across the top 12345. Each of those numbers corresponds to an exercise to the right of the table

- the minutes spent on each exercise is in the bottom row. It is always 2 minutes for exercise 1 and 1 minute for each other on every chart

- the number of reps you do each session are in each row, which you start working up from the bottom. The letter of each row is the fitness 'level'. P 18 here shows how quickly you should move up the rows, according to your age (set very conservatively unless you are very sedentary, must be said) https://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~rfburger/5bx-plan.pdf

- fitness levels (letters) are prescribed by age for general population and air force occupation at the bottom of each chart. For Chart 1, it only lists ages 6 and 7yo so the assumption is that every adult and kid above that age should be able to work through Chart 1. On Chart 2, I read it as every adult should be able to attain row/level A+ apart from those 50+ whose average ablities will be C+ (I imagine tha laughter here at that from the Masters' athletes :-D)

- it may be that you top-out at a given level/letter on any chart whatever your and that is fine, the Programme recognises we all have different abilities

I don't know what it is like in the USA at the moment with energy prices but in the UK they are crazy high, I won't be able to have any heat on this winter. So I plan to do a 5bx in the morning, regular home training in early evening and another 5bx later to warm back up!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom