all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Anyone Tried Justin's Novocaine Training?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

TheWolf

Level 2 Valued Member
I just read the article and, although short, the plan looks interesting covering multiple aspects each week.

Anyone tested this approach?

No, not yet! But...

I've done a variety of training over the years, and usually had plenty of time, and done program after program quite rigidly, often with a goal at the end. But I start a new job in 2 weeks that will leave me little time or energy for training compared to before. That and hitting 50 very soon has made me re-appraise what I do, and intend to do something like what he suggested above.

The bulk of work will be my run in and back from work which is 4.5-5.0km depending on route which I'll do 3-6 times a week. Might mix up whether I do LISS , tempo, or maybe even some interval thing depending on how I feel on the day.

On top of this I'll do 2 barbell sessions a week doing 2 (maybe 3) lifts a time; a variation of a squat (front or back), a press (shoulder or bench), a pull-up, and deadlift. As starting options I have been looking at Jim Wendlers Krypteia, a variation on Starting Strength, and this from MTI The Fundamental Four Strength Cycle: Front Squat, Weighted Pull Up, Hinge Lift, Bench Press, 2 Days/Week - Mountain Tactical Institute

Additionally I intend to do some S&S and Q&D type work when I have the time - hopefully a minimum of once a week stand-alone session, or after a BB session if I'm feeling good. I'll vary the format of swings (weight, 1 or 2 hand, timed, as I feel, reps, etc.) and use snatches etc. sometimes. Can do that at home as have set of KBs here.

Plan to do this for 2 years, and not monitor or track it or push it goal-wise too much, but relax and do what I can when I have free time and energy and see how it goes! So not exactly the above plan, but pretty similar.

Last edited:
Hello @TheWolf

Yes, I ran it some time ago. It can be demading, especially if you do both the base and Supp A / B. Being cautious with rest is important here.

If you are not used yet to daily training without a rest day, then I'd suggest to progressively ramping up or voluntarly scaling down intensity some days. Once comfortable with daily training, adding Supp A & B.

During this phase, I simultaneously increased aerobic and anaerobic capacity, while gaining some strength, power and stamina. It addresses all the physical abilities. It works very well in terms of "GPP".

Overall, this is one of the best routine I've ever run.

What are you especially interested in knowing ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

I just read the article and, although short, the plan looks interesting covering multiple aspects each week.

I've done the gist of it but I didn't follow it precisely - I liked the structure and the organization, very useful. What kind of feedback are you looking for?

Hello @TheWolf

Yes, I ran it some time ago. It can be demading, especially if you do both the base and Supp A / B. Being cautious with rest is important here.

If you are not used yet to daily training without a rest day, then I'd suggest to progressively ramping up or voluntarly scaling down intensity some days. Once comfortable with daily training, adding Supp A & B.

During this phase, I simultaneously increased aerobic and anaerobic capacity, while gaining some strength, power and stamina. It addresses all the physical abilities. It works very well in terms of "GPP".

Kind regards,

Pet'

But isn't one of the things with it is that it isn't a daily training plan, but something you do when you can, but over the longer term without chopping and changing programs. So less a program and more a long term training 'philosophy' as it were @pet'?

Hello @Red_and_Black

Yes you can consider it as something like a long term training philosphy, as long as you do not push yourself on each exercises / formats.

IMHO, you can run it and looking for improvement over 1 component or 2, but not all at the same time. For example, you can run it and trying to improve the S&S portion and maintaining the other components.

This type of training does not aim to be at peak performance in one field. The idea is to be a "jack of all trades, master of none".

Kind regards,

Pet'

But isn't one of the things with it is that it isn't a daily training plan, but something you do when you can, but over the longer term without chopping and changing programs. So less a program and more a long term training 'philosophy' as it were @pet'?
The philosophy would be accessible - flexible - prioritized. The Novicaine training template is a flexible microcycle that fits within this philosophy - it is a 7 session microcycle that can take more or less time to complete. It prioritizes main work and allows for secondary and assistance work on an auto-regulated basis. That's how I understand it, and that's why I like the philosophy even if I change the template around to fit my needs.

Thank you for the responses, crew!

Hello @TheWolf

Kind regards,

Pet'

I've done the gist of it but I didn't follow it precisely - I liked the structure and the organization, very useful. What kind of feedback are you looking for?

Thank you for the responses and information. I have now posted on this forum several times asking about different programs. I am trying to find what is going to help me with both strength and aerobic fitness. I work in Law Enforcement and I have been fortunate enough to have a set weekly work schedule, so I have been able to build my training around that for a few years.

However, I am on the verge--God Willing--of securing a new position in Law Enforcement; one I have sought after for some time. If I am successful, I am almost certain my work demands will be a) irregular shifts and/or b) lengthy shifts. As such, I am seeking a "tactical" program that can be done in short(er) periods of time and still prove decently beneficial to "strength and conditioning".

I have--prior to commencing SF programs--trained using Mountain Tactical Institute's Law Enforcement programs for the past two years. However, due to lockdowns, isolation periods, gym closures, etc, I was not always able to follow their LE programs because some of their workouts require more than an hour or require varied equipment I did not have at home. MTI does offer at-home or simple programs too but I don't feel these were as tailored to LE as I was seeking.

Pavel's / SF programs on the other hand started to appeal to me because of simplicity and seemingly success. However, I feel tactical-specific elements are missing in the general program ideas.

Enter Justin's Novocaine Training and I think I have found the idea I am looking for--shorter workouts, some decently intense, varied, etc. The only thing I see missing is agility work but this is something I can easily add.

Apologies for the rant!

I was not always able to follow their LE programs because some of their workouts require more than an hour or require varied equipment I did not have at home. MTI does offer at-home or simple programs too but I don't feel these were as tailored to LE as I was seeking.

Enter Justin's Novocaine Training and I think I have found the idea I am looking for--shorter workouts, some decently intense, varied, etc. The only thing I see missing is agility work but this is something I can easily add.
I agree regarding the MTI programs with respect to duration and equipment requirements. It's nice to have a template that's portable and equipment agnostic if you travel often. The comment regarding superset of 50m swim sprints in Justin's article had me laughing!
I've used the program as described with some additional mobility exercises and have experienced good results. Good results are defined as recoverability so that I'm always ready to go and some measured improvement. I'm no longer in an operational role but I want to be useful when the opportunity arises, even if that means moving a couch, or catching a snow day on the slopes with my kids.
I'm currently running a similar template with more emphasis on LISS (i.e. aerobic base) as I have an eye on some longer foot powered activities this coming year. I suspect that I'll continue following those microcycles through base building then reduce the Q&D/A&A elements about 8-12 weeks out to specific work (Muscular Endurance) relative to the objective.
Give it a shot and see what you think.
-lars

Thank you for the responses and information. I have now posted on this forum several times asking about different programs. I am trying to find what is going to help me with both strength and aerobic fitness. I work in Law Enforcement and I have been fortunate enough to have a set weekly work schedule, so I have been able to build my training around that for a few years.

However, I am on the verge--God Willing--of securing a new position in Law Enforcement; one I have sought after for some time. If I am successful, I am almost certain my work demands will be a) irregular shifts and/or b) lengthy shifts. As such, I am seeking a "tactical" program that can be done in short(er) periods of time and still prove decently beneficial to "strength and conditioning".

I have--prior to commencing SF programs--trained using Mountain Tactical Institute's Law Enforcement programs for the past two years. However, due to lockdowns, isolation periods, gym closures, etc, I was not always able to follow their LE programs because some of their workouts require more than an hour or require varied equipment I did not have at home. MTI does offer at-home or simple programs too but I don't feel these were as tailored to LE as I was seeking.

Pavel's / SF programs on the other hand started to appeal to me because of simplicity and seemingly success. However, I feel tactical-specific elements are missing in the general program ideas.

Apologies for the rant!
That's awesome dude! Big congrats. Where are you at with SF-style kettlebells?

At the risk of being redundant to Justin's article, you need to assess what your priorities are (what you want to train, what makes the base, what are optional accessories, and what are more optional accessories), what equipment you have available and where it is located, and then set up a flexible rotating template (or use Justin's). If you look at Justin's priorities (his base), it is swings/getups and LISS (with a snatch day for spice). If you see that base and love it, work with it; but don't be afraid to say "well, I like snatches more" or "but I really want to clean a lot!"

Equipment can make a difference, not only based on lockdown, but in general. I have a nice selection of kettlebells I can train with in my garage. I recently built a pull-up bar. Before I did that, I couldn't plan bells + pullups. I have access to a gym that has barbells, but they have no kettlebells. I can't (easily) plan a session that requires both kettlebells and barbells. I have at most 90 min to train, and even that is pushing it. So just that right there - look at Session 1. Swings, getups, benching, pull-ups, and a 20 min tempo run. There was no way I could make that work, so I could either do swings/getups/run (which is one of my "base" sessions currently!) or I'd have to start getting creative - go the gym at lunch break; or rethink how I can hit those same pieces with the equipment available.

Again, for me the big thing was the ideas he had laid out and less the plan itself. If you love the plan and it fits your goals and what you have available, work it dude. But also know that, if you understand what's going on in the plan, you can start monkeying around with specifics - and then you'll start making little changes as you go, based on how you're feeling, etc. until it is truly TheWolf's Plan.

This training program also has the added benefit of offering well managed variety for those of us that seem to need a good dose of variety from workout to workout. And it helps keep some groove in a lot of different movements as the program is repeated, e.g. get ups, pushups, snatches, etc.

Apologies for the rant!
I used to follow Gym Jones, Project Deliverance, Tactical Barbell and MTI programs but eventually couldn't manage them for various reasons but usually due to logistics and/or recoverability.

MTI is designed around doing the sessions in order and picking up where you left off and most of the others work fine the same way but I had a hard time when I wouldn't be at a gym with the equipment and facilities they designed the programs around.

One of the primary philosophies behind the Novocaine template is to make easy days easy so the hard days can be hard.

The last few months I have been busy with work and BJJ so I have been working on a template for an even more constrained 1-3 days per week instead of 3-7 days per week. Summary thus far is A+A+BB for all sessions.

Have you read Strength Shortcuts 2.0 from @Geoff Neupert ?
It talks a lot about the benefits of mixing modalities and also splitting daily volumes across micro morning and mini afternoon sessions.
Well worth a read!

I start a law enforcement career next week. I’ve been doing “my own” version of this type of concurrent or conjugate training (whole other discussion of these terms in another thread lol) ever since finding out that I was getting the job a few months ago. As @John K pointed out, this concept is almost infinitely customizable depending on what you want to prioritize. Right now I’m doing Q&D three days out of seven as well as adding in some running since I *know* I’ll be running during training. I also add in some grinds when and as I feel up to it. At some point I’ll shift over to being mainly focused on A+A and jogging with some grinds to supplement, pretty similar to “Novocain.”

I start a law enforcement career next week. I’ve been doing “my own” version of this type of concurrent or conjugate training (whole other discussion of these terms in another thread lol) ever since finding out that I was getting the job a few months ago. As @John K pointed out, this concept is almost infinitely customizable depending on what you want to prioritize. Right now I’m doing Q&D three days out of seven as well as adding in some running since I *know* I’ll be running during training. I also add in some grinds when and as I feel up to it. At some point I’ll shift over to being mainly focused on A+A and jogging with some grinds to supplement, pretty similar to “Novocain.”
Very nice. Good luck with your new LEO career!

Has anyone ran Novocaine broken up through out the day? Maybe the S&S work in the morning and lifting/tempo in the evening. Any good suggestions for replacing Q&D in this as well?

Why are you replacing the Q&D? You looking for something that does the same thing, or just a short KB conditioning session?

Why are you replacing the Q&D? You looking for something that does the same thing, or just a short KB conditioning session?
Tbh i dont think I am ready for Q&D. I would be restarting S&S with this (light bell, 2 hands etc). Reading Q&D it seems for more advanced trainees? So I am looking for something easier but similar effect. I also want to keep SS to 2x a week if I go this route.

Has anyone ran Novocaine broken up through out the day? Maybe the S&S work in the morning and lifting/tempo in the evening. Any good suggestions for replacing Q&D in this as well?
I have broken up the training into two-a-days when training base + A + B. When I was younger, I could still train 5-7 days per week. Now, if I was training both supplements, I would be limited to 3-5 days per week.

I think you'll find Q&D to be complimentary with the program rather than detract. It does train some specific adaptations but I don't consider it for advanced athletes only. Q&D breaks up 20 rep sets into clusters in order to keep power output high. Because it's 20 rep sets, it trains glycolysis a little more than S&S and I think training that adaptation is important for any athlete - though not exclusively like daily metcons would.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom