all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Anyone Tried Justin's Novocaine Training?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I have broken up the training into two-a-days when training base + A + B. When I was younger, I could still train 5-7 days per week. Now, if I was training both supplements, I would be limited to 3-5 days per week.

I think you'll find Q&D to be complimentary with the program rather than detract. It does train some specific adaptations but I don't consider it for advanced athletes only. Q&D breaks up 20 rep sets into clusters in order to keep power output high. Because it's 20 rep sets, it trains glycolysis a little more than S&S and I think training that adaptation is important for any athlete - though not exclusively like daily metcons would.
Thanks Justin. Much appreciated

I have broken up the training into two-a-days when training base + A + B. When I was younger, I could still train 5-7 days per week. Now, if I was training both supplements, I would be limited to 3-5 days per week.

I think you'll find Q&D to be complimentary with the program rather than detract. It does train some specific adaptations but I don't consider it for advanced athletes only. Q&D breaks up 20 rep sets into clusters in order to keep power output high. Because it's 20 rep sets, it trains glycolysis a little more than S&S and I think training that adaptation is important for any athlete - though not exclusively like daily metcons would.
Hi @Justin_M
I thought to either do Q&D plan 044 (snatches) and use C&J for A+A (the excellent routine available at bjj fanatics), or skip Q&D entirely and do just the C&J plan (I keep 2 sessions of S&S as per your plan and I like it)

Any thoughts on this?

This is close to my program that I started this week and paused as I"m out of town. My runs are the focus of the hard sessions at the moment.
3 hard runs a week (following the Bevel up from Podrunner website for 3 weeks)
1 easy KB session: TGU, swings, cleans, lunges, presses, halos. LOTS of recovery between sets of low rep
1 walk with KB: suitcase, waiters press, rack walks. also do swings and cleans with a handful of snatches en-route. I missed this for 2 weeks in a row:( aiming for 5km in the coming week.
1 hard day of swings + TGU. well, there is a progression. week 1 = easy. week 5 = timed test of 100 swings + 10 Getups in 16 minutes
1 rest day. I EAT

Any thoughts on this?
The idea behind session 3 is to put an emphasis on higher intensity glycolysis energy production. If doing C&J on that day, use longer sets or shorter rest than A&A day. Cluster sets with intraset rest like Q&D are a good way to demand more glycolysis on the frontend without focusing on lactic tolerance on the backend.

The idea behind session 3 is to put an emphasis on higher intensity glycolysis energy production. If doing C&J on that day, use longer sets or shorter rest than A&A day. Cluster sets with intraset rest like Q&D are a good way to demand more glycolysis on the frontend without focusing on lactic tolerance on the backend.
Thanks, that makes sense!

Inspired by another post on here that talks about the progression from A&A > S&S > Q&D will plan to do 3 sessions of that a week for 6-8 weeks each (so 18-24 weeks plus rest weeks between each probably).

And then do some strength on top of that when have time, maybe singles of the BB lifts, or sets of 3 (either way something short) after some of the KB session, or standalone work if have time.

And then run: run for a commute 20-25 mins 2-3 times a week, so will do that a tempo generally, and then sometimes make it intervals. Plus will aim for longer walk/run when can fit it in as leisure with friends/family (2 birds one stone).

So it's a 6-8 week block of BASE, and then add-on sections from STRENGTH and ENDURANCE to fit when feel like it and have time.

It's a long term plan I'm going to start soon and see how it goes.

Are you running this in addition to the MTI Program you posted about?

God no - that'd kill me! I'm going to finish the MTI program (maybe then do the 10,000 swings one...) and then go for this for a good chunk of time.

I am doing 10 x 10 2H swings EMOM 32kg or 5 snatches 10 min EMOM 24kg after the MTI sessions though as a finisher and to keep my hand in with KBs though.

lol I was gonna say well I know why you're tired and its not your warm up! ;)

If changing your warmup around a little doesn't help, might look at reducing the volume of the kettlebell work by 25-50%.

At the moment the KB work after the MTI strength session is almost a cool-down tbh, it's only 10 minutes!

It's the MTI program that's 5 sets of 3 (plus 3 warm-up sets at 65, 75 , & 85% of the work weight) at near my max that's wiping me out. And the BB complex warm-up maybe! I superset front squats with weighted pull-ups for one workout, and deadlifts with bench press for other, each pair of sets done in 3 mins if that makes sense.

N
Are you rotating through the sessions or doing the supplements as blocks also like the base?

Not started yet. The plan was to do the Base blocks as 2-3 sessions a week, and then add-on a strength or 2 (3!?) when I can, and then I run into work 2-3 times a week as well and will vary them to be tempo or intervals. Then maybe one long walk/run a week or two. But to be pretty relaxed about it rather than strict program. Just do what I can when I can.

I was going to ask what kind of loading/reps/sets do you use for your stuff? I was thinking work up to a peak for each block of base (increase time EMOM, increase weight, decrease rest, move 2H to 1H, etc.), but less clear about how to run the strength.

So when doing A&A start doing 5 x snatches EMOM for 30 mins, and then add 2 mins a time, building up to 40 mins say.
Then alongside when I can I'd do a couple of the strength sessions: maybe 2 KB C&P&S, or one each squat/pull-up and deadlift/press.
Then also a tempo/interval run or two.
Then when can a long walk/run.

N

Not started yet. The plan was to do the Base blocks as 2-3 sessions a week, and then add-on a strength or 2 (3!?) when I can, and then I run into work 2-3 times a week as well and will vary them to be tempo or intervals. Then maybe one long walk/run a week or two. But to be pretty relaxed about it rather than strict program. Just do what I can when I can.

I was going to ask what kind of loading/reps/sets do you use for your stuff? I was thinking work up to a peak for each block of base (increase time EMOM, increase weight, decrease rest, move 2H to 1H, etc.), but less clear about how to run the strength.

So when doing A&A start doing 5 x snatches EMOM for 30 mins, and then add 2 mins a time, building up to 40 mins say.
Then alongside when I can I'd do a couple of the strength sessions: maybe 2 KB C&P&S, or one each squat/pull-up and deadlift/press.
Then also a tempo/interval run or two.
Then when can a long walk/run.
You don't have to increase everything so rapidly. My recent log has some details of barbell progression I've been liking lately.

That said, you won't be doing Novocaine Training; Novocaine is more of a daily undulating periodization (DUP) as opposed to block periodization.

You don't have to increase everything so rapidly. My recent log has some details of barbell progression I've been liking lately.

That said, you won't be doing Novocaine Training; Novocaine is more of a daily undulating periodization (DUP) as opposed to block periodization.

Ah, cheers, a look at your training log was very useful, not seen that before.

I am almost at the end of the second week of Novocaine Training and really liking the template.

Following it closely to how its set out with a couple of modifications. I am doing Q&D snatches instead of swings and pushups as I really wanted two snatch sessions each week. I am using strength aerobics for both A & B strength sessions but will switch this up to bench and trap bar deadlifts in a few weeks. Chins and dips for accessory lifts. Using the SkiErg for tempo sessions and sled sprints for intervals. Great all round program.

Im about done with 2 "cycles" of Novocain as well and I got to say I feel great. It feels so balanced to me. I dropped the 7 day week schedule. My layout is:

Novocaine/Novocaine/OS Carries Crawls

I just cycle these through everyday so it takes 10 days to finish a week of Novocaine. I also try to breakup the S&S Q&D in the morning and lifting/conditioning in the afternoon.

I do Tactical Barbell for the strength work and airdyne for tempo/repeats and LSS. If its nice out ill swap my LSS for a long mtb ride.

I also do 20-50 chins and 75-100 pushups everyday. Sprinkle in daily walking and OS restes is doing wonders for me. Im not chasing numbers or worrying about missed days. My back feels better than it has in long time. Thanks Justin!

I have just finished two 6 week cycles of Tactical Barbell Operator as well. It is now the time of year for base building. My plan is to run Novocaine instead of the "pure" TB style Basebuilding with SE. I am planning on running this through the summer until mid-August, then evaluating where I am.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom