all posts post new thread

Barbell Anyone want to lift on November 12, 2017 in New Jersey?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
DL only, raw division. I have done 3-lift meets but not in several years.

-S-

I have a novice question.....when you go to equipment check, do you wear all your gear or lay it all our on a table? I'm assuming it just gets laid out.....

All USA Powerlifting site says is:
  • GEAR CHECK: Your lifting gear (singlets, tshirts, knee sleeves, etc) will be inspected and approved prior to the start of the competition
Carl in Dover

Honestly, I don't know. In my experience, there is a rules meeting before the lifting starts, and that's your chance to ask questions, but I didn't realize there was a "gear check." Probably good to look at the rule book to see if it has any more information.

I've been to exactly one USAPL meet in my life, and I don't remember any such gear check, but that was a good while ago so perhaps this has changed. I remember in particular because the USAPL meet I did, a fellow lifter had on Vibram 5 Fingers, and I looked at his feet and suggested he check with a judge before he was called to the platform. He did, the judge said they weren't legal, and he changed his shoes before lifting - had I not made the suggestion I did, his first lift would have been red-lighted due to the gear problem.

-S-

OK, as far as USA POWERLIFTING gear check....today I had to unload the gear I were going to use from my bag while the official checked to make sure everything met specs. Yup, put it on the table, she checked each and every piece very thoroughly....gave me a heads up to double check my socks height for deadlift.
All was good.

Meet minus 10 days. This is 360 lbs, done on 2 days rest from deadlifting, and after a 3 mile walk this morning. Hoping to rest for most of the next 10 days, just doing enough to keep fresh and loose, and pull 375 at the meet. Bodyweight 151.8 this morning, need to be 145.5 in 10 days time - yikes!

-S-

I realized this morning that, although 360 isn't the most weight I've done in a competition (although it's only 5 lbs. less), it _is_ the most weight I've ever picked up in my basement, so I'm happy about that.

Bodyweight 150.2 lbs. this morning and descending ....

-S-

149.4 lbs. this morning, Monday, 6 days out. I didn't lose a lot of weight over the weekend just finished but that's never a great time to lose weight, anyway. The goal is now about 1/2 pound per day to get me to within a pound or two by the day before, and then a nice, long hot bath the morning of the weigh-in. 1/2 pound per day is about what most diets say you can reasonably lose, anyway, about 2-3 pounds per week.

@Carl in Dover, I found you on the meet roster - you and I are the only Master 3 lifters and there are none older, so you are the oldest lifter at the meet and I'm the second oldest. I lift in the last Flight, C, in the end of the AM session, and you're in the afternoon, but I hope I'll see you around. I think I am going to try to make it to the equipment check the day before.

-S-

@Steve Freides , good job on the weight loss plan!
My wife and I are driving up on Sat afternoon for early equipment check also. Staying at local hotel. Even though I'm not lifting until afternoon, I plan on being there in the morn, and look forward to meeting you sir.
My goal will be 160kg PR deadlift.

Bodyweight was 148.8 this AM, exactly 67.5 kg, which means exactly 1.5 kg still to go. I feel good, kind of wanting to eat more but also knowing I don't need to eat more.

More importantly, starting to have that nice, rested feeling that comes from tapering exercise before a meet. Did a few ligtht DL's and some ring work on Monday, will do some more today or tomorrow.

-S-

I did get my card online, Carl. It's actually a funny story. (I don't think they like you get the card at the meet, or if that's even possible. I think the instructions were to get it online and send the info to the meet director.)

I knew I'd done one USAPL meet a few years ago, so I clicked on the option to renew instead of register as new. It found my email address, told me what seemed a plausible year for when I had joined, 2013, but it said I was 22 years old!

I tried to renew, anyway - besides your email, you just have to give it your membership number, and it had shown me mine - but it gave me some sort of error. So I contacted the meet director, who put me in touch with someone at the national office, who told me to give my birthday and my age and they'd fix it. That done, I was able to go online and renew my membership. So I do have my card now.

And as to gear, I don't have any that I'm concerned about. Deadlift slippers, knee-high soccer socks, a jock strap, a t-shirt, and a singlet, and that's it. I think everything there is OK in every PL federation on the planet.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom