all posts post new thread

Barbell Anyone want to lift on November 12, 2017 in New Jersey?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I just sent the meet organizer a note that said I've been wearing a singlet and dl slippers from Rickey Dale Crain at crainsmuscleworld.com, and I've been wearing them forever, plus knee-high soccer socks, plus the aforementioned jock and t-shirt, and asked if any of this was a problem. Hopefully I get an answer back soon.

Thanks for the heads-up.

-S-

More on this - haven't received answers from anyone via email but the rule book states the following:

In USA Powerlifting competitions, supportive shirts and suits must be on the IPF Approved List for all levels of competition. All other personal equipment must meet all IPF technical specifications.

I think that means that, since I lift raw, my gear just has to meet the technical specs (which it does) and doesn't have to be from the approved list. I'll know for sure when someone gets back to me.

-S-

Don't know if this might help.....

Step 2 - Equipment Check. Everything you wear on the platform will be checked. Guys, go buy your tightie whities. No compression shorts or underwear with legs are allowed. Check the rulebook to make sure your equipment meets the specs in the rulebook. There will be an early equipment check on Saturday from 4-5 pm for those that want to save some time Sunday morning

Approved List - International Powerlifting Federation IPF

I feel 100%. Today, I made a decision to try not to drop any more weight by tomorrow morning and are a bit more. I’ll aim to drop a bit more between tomorrow morning and Sunday morning and take a hot bath before the weigh-in if I need.

-S-

Good Morning!
Feeling strong at 212# and getting packed. Leaving at lunchtime to head north to the 2017 Iron Gobbler USA Powerlifting meet!

My list:

(Although a local meet, all gear is checked to comply with IPF specs)

2 t-shirts
2 tighty whitey's
1 socks
1 singlet
1 lifting belt
1 lifting boots
1 towel
1 bag favorite candy bars
1 chalk bag
1 sani-wipes
1 USAPL member card
1 ID
1 cash
1 muscle rub for after if needed
1 Tylenol pack
1 opening list with rack nights
1 Sharpie
1 plastic bag for used clothing
4 Met-Rx meal replacement bars , just in case
4 water bottles

Not everything is shown in pic.

Attachments

• 20171111_101557.jpg
    20171111_101557.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 7
I also take my bathroom scale to weigh myself before I go to the weigh-in. At the fed I've lifted in the most lately, the WNPF, my scale seems to weigh a little heavier than theirs, so I know if I'm OK on mine, I'll usually be OK on theirs, too.

147.0 lbs. this morning, continuing with the plan, expecting to wake up at 146 or so tomorrow and will take a nice, hot bath before heading to the weigh-in. Probably early dinner today, plus stopping fluid intake after dinner. I just walked a couple of miles with my wife on this crisp, beautiful day. (Amazing the number of people who still have sprinkler systems and running - walked by at least two places with frozen grass.)

Warmups: 100 kg (225 lbs.) x 2-3, maybe 120 kg (265 lbs.) x 1, 140 kg (295-315 lbs.) x 1
Opener: 150 kg (330 lbs.)
Second: 170 kg (375 lbs.)
Third: Nope. :)

and since these folks run a tight ship, I'll probably stay for the awards.

See you at the early gear check, Carl. Since I'm DL-only, no rack heights needed.

-S-

Met @Carl in Dover yesterday afternoon at the early equipment check - always great to connect with a forum person in person!

This morning, woke up at 146.4 lbs, took a hot bath, got down to where my scale said 144.4 lbs, and weighed in at 65.5 kg for the 66 kg weight class. I’m in Flight C in the AM session so probably not lifting until close to 1 pm. Will return venue about 11 am.

So far, so good.

-S-

What a coincidence, Steve and I ended up at the same hotel! My wife and I spotted Steve and his wife at breakfast so we shared some geat time together.
Since I'm in the PM session, I'll stretch out in the room while my wife goes to the hotel gym.....

Well, it was a learning experience today.

I missed my first lift - was sitting right in the room, watching the competition, and didn't realize they were _in_ my flight, so I had to run to the changing room, missed my first attempt, took it that weight for my second attempt and made it, and then not only didn't get my third, I got light-headed and had to be helped off the platform. And while trying to change in a hurry, I dropped and broke my cell phone, and lost my store-bought but nonetheless-valued reading glasses.

My wife and I both came to the same conclusion - I've been a little out of it from the experience of both dropping an extra 1.5 kg and having a same-day weigh-in. Either of those two by itself would have been fine, but both was one thing too much. I think I missed the fact that my flight was going on because I was just a bit light in bodyweight, salt, fluids, and food. I was OK up until about a day or two ago.

We stopped on the way home and fed me some more, and I'm going to take a well-deserved nap now.

I love learning, and all progress depends on mistakes. I made no mistakes in my training for this meet, I feel, up until about 10 days out when I started cutting weight, and that part just didn't go well, mostly just because it was too big a change for me to handle all at once. I'll do better next time, and will likely still target a heavier weight for an American record for the meet next June.

-S-

Hey, one out of three is still a success!

You're giving me the kick in the pants I needed to get serious about losing a couple lbs.

I have a meet on Dec 2. As of this morning, I'm 1/2 lb over my division weight. No more procrastinating, I'm kicking bagels to the curb!

And one more thing...we're about the same age. How have you come this far without prescription reading glasses? Besides your legs, you have very strong eyes.

Last edited:
And one more thing...we're about the same age. How have you come this far without prescription reading glasses? Besides your legs, you have very strong eyes.
@LoriLifts, my father was an optometrist (eye doctor) and I was a very early adopter of hard contact lenses. I started wearing contacts in 1967. When I'm wearing my contacts, I just need generic reading glasses because one of the magical things about hard lenses is that, for many people including me, your eye sucks up to the back of the lens and, again for me and many others, astigmatism is related to the overall shape of the eye - when I'm wearing my contacts, I have zero astigmatic correction required, and drug store reading glasses work fine for me.

When I'm not wearing my contacts, I have distance glasses and also piano glasses, the latter a less strong version of my regular distance glasses that work well for me at the slightly-more-than-arms-length distance for reading music at the piano keyboard. My piano glasses are also my computer glasses, since the distance is about the same. Because I know enough about the way all these things work, I knew what to ask my eye doctor for as my prescription for piano/computer glasses - they just gave me a one-diopter less strong prescription.

Clear as mud? :)

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom