all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Anyone worked with Wim Hof Method?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

GeoffreyLevens

Level 6 Valued Member
Curious if anyone here has given a good shot at practicing the Wim Hof protocol and if so what you experienced/think? Also, there is some stuff just out there online but he sells a course for around $175 and wondering how much more is in the actual course vs just the online stuff?

I've read the book. It seems to me that it does a solid job of laying out the basics of the method. And I really don't think there is a lot more to it, but experience.
I haven't experimented with it myself though.

If you go experiment yourself, just be mindful of taking it slowly. Don't jump into the arctic ocean right away.

If you go experiment yourself, just be mindful of taking it slowly. Don't jump into the arctic ocean right away.
Oh yeah! I once jumped in an Alpine lake after a long hot hike in with no background in cold exposure. I actually though my heart had stopped for a moment. Scary. Since then I have had a lot of experience including a mild case of hypothermia once from surfing. No much fun.

Today just started w/ 3 cycles of the basic breathing tech. Nice endorphin buzz for sure. Thinking for the "power boost" phase, holding breath out and doing push-ups or something like (close to the ground in case of fainting!) that hollow holds would be perfect to go with. Not stressing any big muscle groups that will impinge on regular work outs and always valuable. Cold showers start in the morning :eek: I live in Rocky Mtns in Co and tap water in summer is plenty cold enough for start, low 50's probably? Gets to just above freezing in winter so now is good time to start and see how much adaptation I can get between now an Fall, when temps start to really drop. Hoping to eventually be able to go for winter walks in just shorts and sandals; we'll see about that!

Interesting... Forgive my total ignorance here, but what are the purported health and or fitness benefits of this?
Thanks

Interesting... Forgive my total ignorance here, but what are the purported health and or fitness benefits of this?
Thanks
Alkalize blood a bit
Reduce inflammation
Improve overall autonomic tone
Increase immunity
Anti-depression/mood elevation/euphoria
Better sleep
Over time increase brown fat stores-->increased calorie burn/metabolism
Dramatic increase in ablility to adapt to environmental temperature changes

Partial list of some of Wim Hof's acheivements
•Climbed to 6.7 kilometres (22,000 ft) altitude at Mount Everest wearing nothing but shorts and shoes, but failed to reach the summit due to a recurring foot injury.
Completed a full marathon (42.195 kilometres (26.219 mi)), above the arctic circle in Finland, in temperatures close to −20 °C (−4 °F). Dressed in nothing but shorts, Hof finished in 5 hours and 25 minutes. The challenge was filmed by Firecrackerfilms, who make productions for BBC, Channel 4 andNational Geographic.
•Ran a full marathon in the Namib Desert without water. The run was performed under the supervision of Dr. Thijs Eijsvogels.

Last edited:
Thank you. I might give his book a read.
(As an aside I've climbed to around that 22,000' altitude before and although well short of the highest peaks, it's still no joke. I was extremely well equipped and still almost froze my a$$ off.)

I'm sure the benefits are "over sold" more than a little. Hof has been doing the training since he was about 17 and he is now in his mid-50's. But there is research verifying quite a bit of it. No telling how far any particular individual can take it.

I do know for certain that this morning's first go-3 rounds of the breathing and a couple minutes cold shower was a dramatic wake-up and energizer. Whoo-Hoo!!!

Thank you. I might give his book a read.
(As an aside I've climbed to around that 22,000' altitude before and although well short of the highest peaks, it's still no joke. I was extremely well equipped and still almost froze my a$$ off.)
Yeah, they are't fooling around when they call it "The death zone"!

I'm sure the benefits are "over sold" more than a little. Hof has been doing the training since he was about 17 and he is now in his mid-50's. But there is research verifying quite a bit of it. No telling how far any particular individual can take it.

I do know for certain that this morning's first go-3 rounds of the breathing and a couple minutes cold shower was a dramatic wake-up and energizer. Whoo-Hoo!!!

I have no doubt these benefits will be plentiful for the average couch potato, however I think most of the posters here won't see that much of a benefit. But who knows every little bit might help.

Yes, me too. Love the radical thinkers and doers, Bruce Lee, Percy Cerruty, et al. My wife doesn't share my enthusiasm unfortunately. I'd like to get a sauna for the house and one of those plastic tubs I could sit right outside the patio door filled with ice and go back and forth between. Haven't got it because my wife thinks I'm a loon.

Yes, me too. Love the radical thinkers and doers, Bruce Lee, Percy Cerruty, et al. My wife doesn't share my enthusiasm unfortunately. I'd like to get a sauna for the house and one of those plastic tubs I could sit right outside the patio door filled with ice and go back and forth between. Haven't got it because my wife thinks I'm a loon.
or cheap stock tank

Hello,

Diaphragmatic and abdominal breathing are very efficient techniques in cold management. In my case, I use them almost everyday just befor going to sleep. It helps a lot to release stress and improve pulomnary volume.

You can make the following experience : use some diaphragmatic and abdominal breathing before going to cold water (sea, bathroom...). You will "feel" the cold but your mind will be strong enough to tell your body to stay in cold water. Besides, your heart rate will be more or less constant.

In sport, you will also feel a difference. As your lungs will contain more air, you will be less out of breath (above all in aerobic activities: running...)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Great tips Pet'. Also good prelim for mediation! I am finding noticeably increased depth and clarity and "silence" much fast by doing Hof's breathing protocol first

Great interview Travis, thanks for the prompt; I had resisted listening to this one as it is so long but well worth it I think! Lot of stuff about mind set, focused attention, availability "on demand" to miraculous healing and other powers. I think the most impressed I have seen Rogan HAH!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom