all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Apply Strongfirst Principals to...shovelling snow!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

User 6372

Inspired by a conversation with @Geoff Chafe and @offwidth.

We determined that hip thrust is needed for shovelling snow.

I am going to add you should do 15 seconds of shovelling then rest 45 seconds to avoid using the glycolic system for energy.

Anything else?

Shovelling snow is not training its work. That's what we train for. It's time to put all that gym strength into practice. Your practice should not take, it should give. I'm glad we don't get much snow in Calgary, I shovelled enough snow for a lifetime when I was a kid.

I shoveled driveways, and sold and stowed fire wood in my community for money when I was a kid. Then I bartered for a broken snowblower, which I fixed. I had a fine little business for myself. Pushing around a snowblower that weighs more than twice as much as you do is hard work also

It certainly is work. For me I find it's important to ensure I have good form and technique to avoid injury. But I do believe the S&S I had been doing until recently helped me for the white stuff.
I lived for 40 years in Canada and like Geoff I had my share of shoveling. I left my snow shovels in Canada when we moved to Arizona. Unfortunately after too few years I got transferred to northern states and am back in the thick of it.

Like Geoff I don't look at is as training, but I do however factor it into my overall work load

Pretty hard to program volume with an unknown load, weight and frequency. I guess leaving a few sets in the tank is best.

@Mark Kidd, read in S&S where it says to do something like this from time to time - it will take the place of your S&S and count as one of those "went nearly all-out" workouts.

One of my favorite memories is getting up early after we had an 18" snowfall a few years back. We share our driveway with our next-door neighbors - 155 feet long, 15 feet wide, and although we have a snow blower, I was ready for one of those "nearly all-out" workouts and shoveled the driveway by myself - felt great to do, or perhaps I should say it felt great to be _able_ to do it and then prove that point by actually doing it (if that makes any sense). I was outside at 6 AM and mostly done by the time everyone else woke up.

-S-

Had a WTH effect the other day shoveling. Used to smoke me, now it was no sweat! Granted, it was light and fluffy snow, but still.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom