all posts post new thread

Barbell Applying ETK Ladders to Bench Press

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
I have heard of people working their Bench Press up to the ETK ROP's top heavy day of 5 x 1-2-3-4-5; I've also heard of people working up to 3 x 1-2-3 and 5 x 1-2-3. All three options of where to stop before testing a new max and/or trying a heavier weight.

Curious about opinions on using this for the Bench Press. Given that it's a two-armed compound lift I am thinking lower volume is appropriate and 5 x 1-2-3-4-5 seems too much.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

I have heard of people working their Bench Press up to the ETK ROP's top heavy day of 5 x 1-2-3-4-5; I've also heard of people working up to 3 x 1-2-3 and 5 x 1-2-3. All three options of where to stop before testing a new max and/or trying a heavier weight.

Curious about opinions on using this for the Bench Press. Given that it's a two-armed compound lift I am thinking lower volume is appropriate and 5 x 1-2-3-4-5 seems too much.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Hi Steve

I have used ladders not necessarily as described ETKROP
But I have used them in the past very successfully with all barbell lifts.

I have taken a 10rm and used ladders of 1,2,3,4,5 for varying sets based on a heavy/ light/ medium split.
I have then usually gone into a 5rm working weight and used 1,2,3 for varying sets
For a heavy/light/med split.

Both worked very well in putting on some quality size and strength. Although I don’t have my log book with me and it’s been too long ago to remember my results. But I do remember being very pleased with them.

It’s one of those things like Dan John always says. “ it worked so well I quit doing it”

I think the only things I would look out for is not burning out on them. The volume can rack up fast and I remember some fatigue setting in on days I pushed the sets. Also it can get boring after several weeks or months.

Hope this helps.

In Beyond Bodybuilding Pavel has a ladder program for bench and it does have less volume than the RKC ladder program.
Train twice a week, for instance Mondays and Thursdays, heavy and light.
Heavy Day 1. Bench press – 3x3, 2, 1
2. Board press – 3x3, 2, 1
Set a four to five inch thick board, for instance a sawed off 2x4, on your chest. Lower the bar down to the board and press it back up. You cannot help noticing Louie Simmons’ influence in Moiseev’s program.
3. Incline bench press – 3x3, 2, 1
4. Scott or preacher bench curls – 4-6x8-10
5. Triceps exercise of choice – 4x8
Light Day 1. Speed bench press – 7x3 @ 50% 1RM
Lower the barbell slow, explode up.
2. Narrow grip bench press – 4x8-10
3. Bent over lateral raises – 3x8-10
4. Lateral raises – 3x8-10
5. Scott or preacher bench curls – 4-6x8-10
6. Triceps exercise of choice – 4x8

Moiseev adds 5kg, which is in the ballpark of 10 pounds, every set of the heavy 3, 2, 1 workout. If you are not in the major league, there is no dishonor in adding only five pounds.

The powerlifting champion adds another 5kg to all three money sets every workout. Unless you can give the big guy a run for his money, a 5-lbs. increase every workout or even every other workout is just right.

When the gains stalled, Alexey temporarily switched to 3x3 but periodically attempted to put up heavier weights. I believe you will be better off back cycling your poundages and starting another assault. E.g., if 215x3, 220x2, 225x1 has almost crushed you, back off to 185x3, 190x2, 195x1 and build up again. Power to you!

I have done ETK ladders with a single kettlebell floor press in the past. Each workout was very exhausting and took a long time, especially after adding the fifth ladder on the heavy day. I had a similar experience on S&T - on the fourth week I felt like I was trampled by elephants and couldn't continue. Since then I believe horizontal presses need to be programmed differently than vertical ones.

In his "best press" article Pavel claims that the bench requires significantly less weekly volume than the military presses. Could it be that the higher bound of effectiveness/recovery is also lower for horizontal presses? Maybe it's the relatively higher weight used, or the fact that the force is transferred to the ground by the upper back, rather than being dissipated over the entire body?

Of course this is just my experience. At the time of doing this I was a novice to lifting, quite overweight and had significant sleep issues. Maybe it would work out differently for someone more experienced and with more capacity to recover.

I've never done ladders with barbell, only chin up ladders with a buddy or imaginary friend. Is the break between sets similar?

I've done the 6x6 8x8 10x10 program, so with the correct weight 5x ladders 1-5 should be doable.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom