all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Are 2x16 kg useful?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Gepet

Level 4 Valued Member
I found a decent offer for 2 16 kg kettlebells. I currently own a 16 (poor quality), 24 and 32 kg KB and working towards timeless simple. Although I don't plan to use them until I reach simple, I wonder whether a pair of 16 kg KB would be useful to have when I start doing doubles? I'm worried that they might be a bit light. After reaching timeless simple, what weight KBs did you use and for what double KB programs?

Stats: 29M, 75 kg

16's are a great start for doubles. You are a little heavier than me, and I find 16's or 20's are perfect for doubles working, depending on the program and RM bell choice. I rarely use dbl 24's unless it's exclusively cleans/squats

I found a decent offer for 2 16 kg kettlebells. I currently own a 16 (poor quality), 24 and 32 kg KB and working towards timeless simple. Although I don't plan to use them until I reach simple, I wonder whether a pair of 16 kg KB would be useful to have when I start doing doubles? I'm worried that they might be a bit light. After reaching timeless simple, what weight KBs did you use and for what double KB programs?

It dependes on your goal an strength level. In my opinion it is always good to visit the basics with lighter weights to reinforce the technic and as @wespom9 said, it is a good point to start for dbl KB work. Don´t forgett it is 32 Kg and thats an increas in load bei 100%. If you grow out that weight for the main lifts you can easily use them for assescorie work. So in short, go get them.

If you check out Geoff Neupert's programs, such as Kettlebell Strong, More Kettle Muscle aka Kettlebell Hard, and others, I think you'll find 2x16 KG quite challenging. It's humbling how hard the chains and complexes Mr. Neupert programs get, even with relatively light weights. But the results are good!
If they ever get too easy, you can always do everything bottoms-up to increase the tension.

I used double 16kgs for a Return of the Kettlebell grind block and got excellent results. I'd rather go a bit lighter and never stop than go too heavy and get hurt.

Yup.
I have 2x24. I doubt I'd get 2x32 and have a lot to play with yet with the 24s.
Felt a bit tired doing my double routine last week and used the 16s for a lighter session.
If you feel they're a good buy, then buy.
I have 2x16s, 2x20s and 2x24s and use all.
About 66%, 80% of 24.
Handy numbers for variety and waving purposes if required or wanted.
I dunno. Sometimes, if sleep has been compromised or stress is high, reducing intensity for a light day seems to me anyway to be better than reducing volume.
On the other hand, generally feeling knackered or physically not up to it on the day then volume reduction works well.
So bell variety provides options.
Not sure if that is a universal thing or just me or if it really matters. Either or it leads to variety.
So yeah. Buy.

And also, reducing load and going for a burn and a thrash with more volume is also an option

Yep, had a client this am who was going to play an round of golf about a hour after his session, running DFW, 16's worked great.

I’ve had my oldest KBs over 18 years and plan for them to outlive me. I have found and will find plenty of uses for all of them. Though I have two 16s, I’d jump at the opportunity for two more at a decent price. Never know when you’ll be training or training with someone requiring that extra 16. Also, when I ran The Giant series with double 32s then double 36s my double 16s were perfect warm up bells. Plus, like @Ian V said, they are great for complexes.

I’ve had my oldest KBs over 18 years and plan for them to outlive me. I have found and will find plenty of uses for all of them. Though I have two 16s, I’d jump at the opportunity for two more at a decent price. Never know when you’ll be training or training with someone requiring that extra 16. Also, when I ran The Giant series with double 32s then double 36s my double 16s were perfect warm up bells. Plus, like @Ian V said, they are great for complexes.
That’s where I’m at. I have been running the Giant for about 7 months and use the double 16s for warmups.

I too have pondered this & thought that double 16's would be an interesting set to do daily Long cycle C&J work.
I can currently press a 28KG bell for reference & have thought that they may even be too heavy for what I envision but if I had the opportunity to get the pair i would.
Set a daily timer of 20 to 40 mins & go by feel & get some reps in & go to a comfortable stop kinda thing.

Last edited:
Definitely worth getting.

I’ve personally got 24s, 28s, and 36s in pairs and I wish I had a pair of 16s or 20s when learning or perfecting new doubles work (I haven’t attempted double snatch yet because the 24s are just heavy enough that I don’t want the consequences of failing and launching one)

Good for practicing doubles work.

Good for complexes.

Still good for warming up once you’re strong enough to use 20s/24s for the above.

I got a pair for those reasons, which I’m currently taking through The Giant. By the end I hope they will be complex/warm up bells only.

I find 16kg to be a good double weight, especially for learning the double snatch. After I hit simple I started cleaning, pressing, and snatching, first with singles, then with doubles. Most of the time I was using a program from Geoff or Hec. Honestly I learned doubles with uneven bells and then eventually picked up a second 28kg because that seemed to be the sweet spot for me at the time. 16kg is my "go to" for learning something new or when I want to play with kettlebells on an off day. If all I had were double 16s there's still plenty that could be done to make it serious work. Honestly I'd love to have a full suite of doubles from 8kg up but that might take years to get to ... So I'd buy them. :) Besides! Then you'll have three 16s and that's a lot of friends you can have over for a party. :)

I think double 16s are the most versatile pair of KBs you can own. Not only will they serve great for mobility drills, warmup, and activation. But you can use them for running complexes and improve conditioning. If you think double 16s are easy, I would recommend a few complexes by @Geoff Neupert and I'm sure you will have new found respect for those double 16s.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom