all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Are armbars safe for a loose shoulder?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Tall guy Andrew

Level 4 Valued Member
Greetings everyone,

Long story short, I dislocated my shoulder years ago by throwing a ball with poor form. It recovered, and a few years after that I took up judo and had the shoulder come out a few more times. I have since learned to compensate and am very careful with my training.

I have been doing get ups, and have noticed that my shoulder is far more stable than is was. I am curious if the armbar, done correctly, is safe for a loose shoulder, or if is there a way to ease into it to ensure safety.

Thanks.

I dislpcated my shoulder in May '17 and it is a lot more stable than before. I am alot stronger than before, too.
If your shoulder healed correctly armbars should be no problem. In fact, even beneficial. Keep in mind that even the strongest individuals probably don't use more than 20kg!

As Al would say, the poison is in the dose. If you feel uneasy reaching overhead, it's not a wise idea - but since you're already doing getups - its PROBABLY okay. If slowly building up from unweighted, to very low loads with excellent form and control, never approaching your limit and always staying focused - I would say it's very beneficial. Just be sensible.

Thanks for the input!

If you feel uneasy reaching overhead, it's not a wise idea

I was doing barbell military presses before taking up the kettlebell, so I should be ok there.

I'll add them to my program and start light. Any advice on where to place them? Before get ups? After get ups? On a different day?

Thanks for the input!

I was doing barbell military presses before taking up the kettlebell, so I should be ok there.

I'll add them to my program and start light. Any advice on where to place them? Before get ups? After get ups? On a different day?

Hope it works well for you! Armbars are typically done as part of a warmup. I probably wouldn’t do them when you’re feeling particularly stiff (at least not at first) or particularly fatigued.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom