all posts post new thread

Old Forum Are bent presses and pullups compatible?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Boicis

Level 5 Valued Member
Hello,
I am an obvious fan of the bent press, and this is a great exercise also for lat development.

And this comes to the question how the bent press is compatible with pullups? Each September, we are having so called strength day here in Latvia, when bars are installed in cities and towns, and people are coming and doing pullups. All reps for each settlement are being counted together, but three top guys and girls are having a final round.

In previous years, I took it more like a fun event, and had very little preparation for that ending up with 12-13 reps. This year, I want to take it more seriously. No problem with pullup training methodologies, but do I have to skip the bent press for a while due to heavy lat involvement or I can still do both? I have done both exercises in one session, and, honestly, pullups are harder after bent presses.

Edgars

I've hit a lot of goals with pullups, every time it has been the result of focusing on the lift I want to progress.

If I were you, I would focus on the pullups until the event, and pick a light weight to practice the bent press with.

Ps the bent press has never helped me in my pullups.

Edgars, do a very low volume of bent press for maintenance. Its skill and mobility are too easy to lose.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom