all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Are orthotics actually bad?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Very interesting thread, in many aspects. I am not a "runner" and have only done a few charity 5K's. The most enjoyable run that I can remember was during a Savage Race a few years back. I wore New Balance Minimus 1010v2 whilst running through the woods between stages. Felt great.
Around the house and yard, mainly barefoot w/occasional sandals. Kettlebell work and lifting done barefoot also.
I try to operate as minimal as possible, but if some orthotic equipment would help me enjoy life more I would try them.

I was put in orthotics shortly after high school because of inner knee pain. The knee pain went away but I've been wearing orthotics since then. A lot of things have changed since those days and I don't think there's actually anything wrong with my feet, the problem is weakness in the hip muscles. It took 25 years to find a health professional who was able to diagnose it and it's been very frustrating. I suspect changing something that's been with you most of your life is more difficult. If I saw a good physical therapist those many years ago, I might not have needed the orthotics at all and my life might have been a little different.

Thanks @mprevost . Given my short term aspirations (discussed elsewhere) and the long amount of time required to get out of orthotics after 4-5y of constant use, I think I will need to rely on them as a crutch during my selection/course. Then, when through, I can work on weaning off. Would you roughly agree with this approach (albeit less than optimal)?

Weaning off of orthotics can be a long term effort. It could take years, depending on the magnitude of the issues. For now, anything that reduces pain and injury in the short term is probably best. Weaning off the orthotics and building up the strength of your feet is something that is best done in little bites. I think your approach makes sense based on your goals and timeline.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom