all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Are squats enough for the legs?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

John Kowalski

Level 2 Valued Member
Is doing squats alone (no deadlifts or swings) going to cause any structural/postural imbalances? I have to skip those because of spinal issues and I'm wondering if it's gonna cause problems by not working the hamstrings enough and overdeveloping the quads.

I suppose it depends on the nature of your training and your ultimate goals.

If you can achieve full range of motion squats with safe technique, you probably don't have a huge problem (outside of the spinal issue) as long as you don't go overboard with volume.

Working the posterior chain musculature might require some creativity and the direction of a professional but there are certainly "unweighted" exercise options (SHELCs, etc)

@John Kowalski
I went back and referenced your introductory post...
I would say based on that, Squats may not be sufficient to match your goals. (With respect to 'legs')
Can you cycle? Cycling is a great leg developer, especially off-road riding. Running? Also remember your lower legs...

And as Zack mentioned you might need some professional guidance for posterior chain musculature if you have spinal issues.

Hello,

Is doing squats alone (no deadlifts or swings) going to cause any structural/postural imbalances?
The Back Squat, if done properly is one of the best overall strength move IMO. It is a good mass builder.

What is you goal ? Do you do other move ? Do you only want to squat ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Go deep.
If squats are all you can manage then you're lucky you can manage them.

I'd include something for the calves as well. Maybe include glute bridge of some sort, but if you can't do any DL, bridging is probably out too.

Proper squats work the posterior chain as well, low-bar back squats work it very well.

But first, if you haven't already done that, I would go to a trusted and physically active physical therapist of diagnosis of your spinal issue and preform a FMS. Make sure that you are working free of dysfunction and compensations.

Do add some sort of hinge practice you can do Dan John's Hinge Assessment Tool and Goat Bag Swings. These are great to pattern the hinge.

If you can achieve full range of motion squats with safe technique, you probably don't have a huge problem (outside of the spinal issue) as long as you don't go overboard with volume.
Yes, I can do them like olympic weightlifters - straight torso, butt to the grass etc.

Hello,

@John Kowalski
Plus, you can add a little stretching after the training (bridges and so on).

Do you train everyday ? 2 or 3 times a day ? The more volume you have, the most perfect your technique has to be. A good recovery is always a good thing ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

It surprises me that you can squat like an Olympian but can't recognise how efficient or suitable the squat is for your legs/needs..?

I never feel them in the hamstrings, quads only...

Full depth, vertical torso squats will definitely involve more quad than hamstring. The hamstring is certainly highly involved, but relatively, the quads are going to be what you feel fatiguing before the hamstrings are pushed to their limit.
Can you try a low bar squat with more forward lean?

Add low bar back Squats done to just below parralell in once a week. You'll feel it in the posterior, believe me.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom