all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Are swings enough to counter balance the effects of pushups to the anterior chain?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

LejonBrames

Level 5 Valued Member
This is partially in reference to Q&D but in general as well. We know as we age the Anterior muscles begin to shorten, leading to the hunched over look. Combine this with pushups, and you might see the exaggerated hunch.

There's a lot of advice to make sure you work the posterior chain as you age, and I'm curious if Swings alone are enough to effectively balance the Posterior/Anterior muscle groups.

Please discuss intelligently.

But this can happen for many reasons. The typical shortened anterior chain 0r "fighter stance" common among strikers, is not the same as a desk jockey hunch caused by general weakness.

What about stretching and mobility, do you see them having a part in a balanced program?

@LejonBrames, no disrespect intended here, but there are a lot of assumptions in your question that I ... question. :)

Swings alone, and the results thereof, will depend a lot on how you perform those swings. It's perfectly possible to swing without truly standing up straight at the top of the swing. I know, I've performed far too many swings in this manner. Another point - swings with light weights won't provide enough challenge to fix much in the way of posture.

I spend most of my time seated - at a computer, at a piano keyboard, or in a chair while giving music lessons. When I get up from my chair, I make a real effort to rediscover good, relaxed, tall posture. Related to this, I walk a lot, and if you were to watch me, you'd notice I'm kind of wriggling around (for lack of a better way to put it) a fair amount during the beginning of most of my walks because I can feel my posture is still a bit off, still a bit "hunched" or whatever words one wants to use here. Thanks also to the blessings of my bad back, it doesn't realign itself easily, so it's something I am more or less forced to pay attention to.

All other things being equal, swinging a kettlebell will be better for one's posture as one ages than not swinging a kettlebell, but what is "enough" is something each person must ultimately, with the aid of good counsel in the form of coaches and teachers, learn for about themselves, for themselves, and accept responsibility for maintaining. That maintenance may be just swings for some people, sure.

-S-

This is partially in reference to Q&D but in general as well. We know as we age the Anterior muscles begin to shorten, leading to the hunched over look. Combine this with pushups, and you might see the exaggerated hunch.

In regards to the push ups, its actually quite the contrary. I understanding that push ups strengthen the anterior chain, however in the clinic setting, we use this exercise a great deal for postural stability and scapular strength. It will actually result in a LESS hunched posture. Secondly, in order to perform a push up, you have to be in a plank position, where you are engaging just about every muscle, front and back, to maintain alignment.

In regards to the swings, they are definitely an effective posterior chain exercise to counter balance anterior chain tightness. Performing heavy single hand swings provides a great deal of upper body pull and can fire up the lats and mid traps, strengthen gluts/hamstrings, while simultaneously providing and anterior hip stretch. You won't find anything better.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom