all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Are Turkish Getups a good substitute for Loaded Carries?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Vulcan300

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello all,

For the past few months, I've been utilizing the Bryce Lane 50/20 program with sandbags. It has been going great for me; I feel stronger and feel greater endurance as well. Right now I'm only using the program with 100 lb sandbags, but I worried about how well I could do things once the bag got heavier. For that reason, I wanted to incorporate loaded carries into the routine, to get me accustomed to carrying heavy weights for loner periods of time. The issue is that my apartment is small and very tight. It would be quite difficult to do loaded carries with them. Even worse, I live on the second floor so dropping my bag if they got too heavy might disturb my neighbors.

For that reason, I began doing Turkish Getups. Zercher, overhead, shoulder, and bearhug, I did each for two reps on each side amounting to 16 reps twice a week. I figured that since most of the exercise is spent with you holding onto the weight without dropping it, that it would be a decent substitute for loaded carries. I tried to search on the internet for some info that would support this theory, but have not found much.

What do you guys think?

TGU (especially sandbag) is a type of carry, in my opinion.

What are you doing now with the sandbags?

Try carrying your bag up and down your stairs in zercher and bear hug stance, and report back. Warning: your neighbors may start asking for your help with furniture and groceries!
Hello,

With the sandbags, I am doing a clean and press twice a day and squats (with half reps deadlifts) the other two days.

I've considered doing stairs but I feel that they may tire me out faster than my arm/core muscles would typically when doing a loaded carry.

I consider TGUs a loaded carry variation.

Other ideas: Marching in place, slowly turning around in place, etc. --> just use a gait like pattern and challenge your balance ever so slightly
(Weight in front, at the side, on the shoulder, on the crown of the head, etc.)

Hello all,

For the past few months, I've been utilizing the Bryce Lane 50/20 program with sandbags. It has been going great for me; I feel stronger and feel greater endurance as well. Right now I'm only using the program with 100 lb sandbags, but I worried about how well I could do things once the bag got heavier. For that reason, I wanted to incorporate loaded carries into the routine, to get me accustomed to carrying heavy weights for loner periods of time. The issue is that my apartment is small and very tight. It would be quite difficult to do loaded carries with them. Even worse, I live on the second floor so dropping my bag if they got too heavy might disturb my neighbors.

For that reason, I began doing Turkish Getups. Zercher, overhead, shoulder, and bearhug, I did each for two reps on each side amounting to 16 reps twice a week. I figured that since most of the exercise is spent with you holding onto the weight without dropping it, that it would be a decent substitute for loaded carries. I tried to search on the internet for some info that would support this theory, but have not found much.

What do you guys think?

Loaded carries can be done while walking in place. Or even two steps forward and two steps back (these are fantastic).

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom