all posts post new thread

Barbell Arm tingles during bench press

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

the hansenator

Level 6 Valued Member
I gave bench press a try today, just using the empty bar to practice form, and it caused my right arm to tingle. I worked on the shoulders-down-and-back and the lateral arch things I've read about and it felt a lot better when I managed to set the scapula right. I also noticed when I racked the bar that the left side was higher.

I'm hoping that with practice the right muscles will strengthen and it will improve but are there any tips or exercises, or things to practice that will help?

A video of your technique/stance may help along with history of injury, training or any relevant background info. I'm no doctor, but from what I understand, a tingling sensation could be a nerve being compressed somewhere. Where in your arm was tingling felt?

Last edited:
I feel the tingling along the inside of my arm along the bicep and forearm. After the first day the muscles between the shoulder blades felt like they were worked the hardest.

It seemed better today. I figure with an empty bar I should be able to practice just about every day.

I've been to physical therapy for the shoulder and will probably make another appointment. My right shoulder tilts forward and the pt gave me exercises to strengthen the lower trap. When I can keep my shoulder un-tilted and find the right position it feels fine. Other than that, I've been looked at by medical pros and there's no injuries and nothing structurally wrong so I'm hoping that practice will strengthen the muscles that need it and generally be good for my shoulder.

Happily, I seem to be fine with overhead presses, pushups, and dips.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom