all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Armor Building Form Check

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

maurice197

Level 4 Valued Member
I decided to play with these movements at the end of my standard workout today. I apologize for the crappy video work, sound quality and for not wearing tighter fitting clothes (but I will not apologize for not wearing spandex...I should be saying "your welcome" for that.

Please let me know what the key things you think I should focus on improving for each of the movements.

Thanks in advance!

it looks like on your clean that you need to work more on taming the arc and on your initial hinge to load your hamstrings more.
some work on your rack position wouldn't go a miss, it looks from this angle that your cleans end up in a bit of the high 5 position which will be an issue when the weight gets heavier.
all and all though it looks good!

I agree with @Maine-ah KB about the rack position after the cleans.
Compare your rack position directly after the clean with the one you have right before and during the FSQs.
The rack position you have with the FSQs is the one you want to have everytime.

Regarding the press.
It looks like you don't fully extend your elbows at the top.
Straighten those arms and pause for a second in the overhead position to make sure you really reach a full lockout.

Btw isn't it 2 cleans/1 press/ 3 squats?

I agree with @Maine-ah KB about the rack position after the cleans.
Compare your rack position directly after the clean with the one you have right before and during the FSQs.
The rack position you have with the FSQs is the one you want to have everytime.

Regarding the press.
It looks like you don't fully extend your elbows at the top.
Straighten those arms and pause for a second in the overhead position to make sure you really reach a full lockout.

Thanks! I'll work on my "catch" and aim for the FS rack position. Also, yes, technically the Dan John Armor Building workout is 2/1/3, but I was just testing out the techniques for variety. I may follow the prescribed program after I finish my current one, but not until I feel MUCH better about my technique.

If I remember correctly this (2/1/3) is the SFG grad work out... What I know as DJ armour building complex is (1/3/2)... I guess that since it is about stressing the entire system presses are the main "feature"... But I think you can't go wrong with either never mind the name :)

If I remember correctly this (2/1/3) is the SFG grad work out... What I know as DJ armour building complex is (1/3/2)... I guess that since it is about stressing the entire system presses are the main "feature"... But I think you can't go wrong with either never mind the name :)
I think it’s the same routine, two different names: 2 clean, 1 press (whether double, or alternating one-arm), and 3 squat.

I think it’s the same routine, two different names: 2 clean, 1 press (whether double, or alternating one-arm), and 3 squat.

That's my understanding too.

Dan has used the term "armor building" to refer generally to any hypertrophy training for people who need muscle "armor," including contact sport athletes, but also older people who often lose muscle as they age unless they specifically train to build it.

But over time the name seems to have stuck to this particular complex.

Last edited:
@maurice197 - one thing to watch out for is not "falling" into your squat - instead think about actively and deliberately pulling your knees up while keeping the tension/brace the entire time.

Hey Matt, Looking good and powerful. Just a couple things jumped out at me. Check out these videos if you haven't already, it's not the Big 6 but it's better than nothing. Kettlebell Secrets

You're cleaning the bells with power but not taming the arc. Try holding the bells in the pre-press rack, then let the bells drop straight down by initiating with elbows pulling back, let the bells roll around the forearm and then drop to the ground as you guide them. The move is like an old west gun draw with 2 hands. When you get this down initiate the drop the same way but start throwing the bells behind you, further than you think you have to. To clean efficiently reverse the same path to the rack and learn the timing of the 'gun draw' to softly land the bells in the rack by rolling them around the forearm.

The other two things are more safety related. It looks like the lower back may be in extension as opposed to neutral. Check this to protect yourself.. Lastly there is a bit of inward knee wobble on the right side, couldn't see the left side. This could cause you problems in the future.

Last edited:
Thanks all...here is the 2.0 version of my cleans...this time in tighter fitting, maybe even sexier attire.

Thanks all...here is the 2.0 version of my cleans...this time in tighter fitting, maybe even sexier attire.

Matt your're a strong guy and must resist the urge to manhandle the bells, when you get to heavier cleans they will force you to keep a tighter arc. Right now you're throwing the bells out front as opposed to dropping them down and throwing them back. The elbow action looks good, nice timing on the upswing. Try to mimic that action on the down drop as opposed to throwing the bells forward. Try to initiate the drop by the elbow moving back as the first movement, check the video and you can see it. Tighten up the arc and you'll be looking good.

Yep, what @Bret S. said. Here's a video of me doing cleans -- the very first one is doubles, and if you select the slowest speed in the YouTube settings and watch it in slow motion, watch the top of the clean and notice how the bell comes around my hand, not flipping up and over it.

Thanks @Anna C ! I see it coming around your hand. That looks smooth. It looks like you have an offset grip on the bell (as opposed to being in the center of the handle). Does that help with the turn over?

Yes it does help a bit. Other things that help are "thumbs back" on the backswing, and "elbows back" as the bells are coming up.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom