all posts post new thread

Bodyweight "Armor of War" for Fans of Naked Warrior, HTT, and Progressive Calisthenics

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

User 7569

Hello everyone I just wanted to bring this e-book to your attention with a little review on what it seems to be like.

I'm not plugging for the author, I'm just amazed at the progressions and how applicable they are to NW - style work

"This course will focus on the one legged squat, the one armed pull up, the one armed push up and the dip as the primary exercises." - Tom Furman

then he includes a short progression with no details for the exercises except the names and a picture. he explains his reasoning for that is as well. the layout is very nice and easy to understand.

he allows for 2x, 3x or 4x a week training and explains how to break up the excercises into each

he also programs for the "big pull" dilemma in bodyweight training.

training is low rep ( 5 to 10 sets of 5 reps).. although he programs swings differently

I've seen this book mentioned on here and thought I'd make a thread for it

some other cool thing I liked about the book:

the quotations were really well thought out in terms of the fact that he knows the reader probably reads a lot about training and body weight training if they read his book.. and pretty much assumes you've read NW warrior

also a lot of good quotations from old time minimalist body weight trainees (a lot of boxers, go figure)

really well designed pdf e-book. the pictures are super high def and well done. he also communicates certain things in them, reminding you about tension

he says at any progression you can simply add a weight vest instead of moving to another drill..pretty cool if you like minimalism (or weight vests)

very complete program that fits into NW style training, he just helps you with a some progressions and a set up

the book is a 17 page e book for $10. I wouldn't had bought it if I had heard it was 17 pages, but I'm glad that I did

please tell me if you've read it, what you think about it, your review, tips on using it, etc..

the "armor of war" thread

thank you

Hello,

What would be the difference between Convict Conditioning (for instance) ? Indeed this program also aims to OA pull up, OA push up, OL squat (among other), but it replaces dips by handstand.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

What would be the difference between Convict Conditioning (for instance) ? Indeed this program also aims to OA pull up, OA push up, OL squat (among other), but it replaces dips by handstand.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Mainly that this book seems to place you at more difficult progressions than Convict conditioning would have you at when beginning.. so in 10 steps (which he wants the reader to use loosely, not a hard progression) Furman goes from Diamond Pushup to One Arm Pushup.. rather than wall pushup to one arm pushup as in CC...

besides that the exercises and progressions are completely different from Convict Conditioning and so is the programming.. Furman seems to be much more Strongfirst oriented when it comes to programming.. (high sets low reps)

I think this book is more aimed at helping people who are slightly more seasoned beginners than convict conditioning, which features prehab style exercises for much of the early training

no bridging in furmans book, he says kb swings, banded good mornings, or deadlift

also no paul wade style writing and mythical side, which is a big part of CC

he addresses the dip vs. the handstand and gives a few reasons why he made the decision

also he uses fewer exercises in his program so each one gets trained more than the basic layout of CC

it's funny you would think of convict conditioning but the goals are the same now that I look at it

Thanks Pet

Hello,

Kind regards,

Pet'
It's an interesting book and I'm thinking of giving the program a try.

I think the main differences with CC is that this program has fewer exercises but at a more difficult level with fewer reps and more sets.

Hello,

Multiple sets of low reps to always being fresh. Sounds pretty interesting indeed :) ! Some kind of Bodyweight Bear Training if we go for it on an almost everyday basis.

What about the rest ? Basically, if we aim at "conditioning and bulking", normal pace and low rest (then we possibly endure less volume). If we aim at pure strength, normal pace and plenty of rest

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Multiple sets of low reps to always being fresh. Sounds pretty interesting indeed :) ! Some kind of Bodyweight Bear Training if we go for it on an almost everyday basis.

What about the rest ? Basically, if we aim at "conditioning and bulking", normal pace and low rest (then we possibly endure less volume). If we aim at pure strength, normal pace and plenty of rest

Kind regards,

Pet'

He says 60-90 seconds for rest between sets

Workouts are meant to be shorter if done 3 to 4 times a week, only doing 2 exercises instead of all 3

you're suposed to do all 3 drills in one session if you only do the program twice a week

he encourages swings / ab work (excellent ab breathing recommendations in book) on most all days, done with the workout on workout days

I'm guessing one could gain a bit of muscle if they eat correctly on this program

I think Armor of War is very cool. Did not run it myself but read the book.
Naked Warrior's aim rather is to wirk up to a OAP and Pistol therefore you approach your sessions as practice.
Wit AoW you rather use the moves as tools to gain muscle. This makes it mandatory that you already have mastered the moves and can use them for that goal.
Maybe it is just me, but I do not like rhe programming of CC too much. Too infrequent and not really goal orientated. AoW however gives muvh better instructions. Just my humble opinion.

I think Armor of War is very cool. Did not run it myself but read the book.
Naked Warrior's aim rather is to wirk up to a OAP and Pistol therefore you approach your sessions as practice.
Wit AoW you rather use the moves as tools to gain muscle. This makes it mandatory that you already have mastered the moves and can use them for that goal.
Maybe it is just me, but I do not like rhe programming of CC too much. Too infrequent and not really goal orientated. AoW however gives muvh better instructions. Just my humble opinion.

What did you think of the programming and progressions for AoW, even though you didn't run it?

good insight thank you marc

I think the programming is the best part!
The progressions are pretty good, too. But you might def use other progressions. The key here is to find o e that fits you best and especially with progressions that is an individual thing.

I think the programming is the best part!
The progressions are pretty good, too. But you might def use other progressions. The key here is to find o e that fits you best and especially with progressions that is an individual thing.

I think Tom gives really good exercise progressions (especially the beginning ones) in that they are challenging enough to stick with for a long time and make improvement but simple enough to start drilling immediately with relatively good form

What did you think of the suspension training aspect? The fact that he uses a TRX for 5+ exercises. interesting since many BW training programs end up progressing into ring work

TRX and rings are interchangable. I own both but prefer the rings. I own a pair made from birch and it feels really much more stable and secure. I would always prefere rings over TRX. Rings are also cheaper.

It's an interesting book and I'm thinking of giving the program a try.

I think the main differences with CC is that this program has fewer exercises but at a more difficult level with fewer reps and more sets.

please let me know if you give the program a try

TRX and rings are interchangable. I own both but prefer the rings. I own a pair made from birch and it feels really much more stable and secure. I would always prefere rings over TRX. Rings are also cheaper.
Rings these days are inexpensive. I've been using these lately and, while they flex a tiny bit, they're really just fine

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B01KHPSXJM

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom