all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Armstrong Pull up

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Stew Smith is awesome. He knows his stuff. The Armstrong program is well done, I’ve known many people that used it successfully.

Stew Smith is awesome. He knows his stuff. The Armstrong program is well done, I’ve known many people that used it successfully.
ok and here i don't want to compare who is better but just to know how many pull-ups are u max (certain program works better for certain rep range)

They both have the goal of high reps, so to me it’s “6 in one hand or half a dozen in the other.” Go with whichever one you will do.
And for the recon ron program: 1) is it every day? if so when do we take rest? 2) it's kind of a Pull up Fighter, isn't it? 3) If I can already do 20 pull-ups, should I start the 20-pull-up week or do I start at the beginning?

And for the recon ron program: 1) is it every day? if so when do we take rest? 2) it's kind of a Pull up Fighter, isn't it? 3) If I can already do 20 pull-ups, should I start the 20-pull-up week or do I start at the beginning?
1) I believe it is supposed to be 5 days per week, or whatever load you can still recover from.

2) think of it as unweighted fighter pullup program. They are both very similar in construction. Perhaps different goals, but the tables for progression work out similarly mathematically (in my mind).

3) I think you can make the best choice of where to start. Typically when starting a program, it’s recommended to start EASIER than what you can currently do. So if you can do 20 already, perhaps start at 15.

4) Not that you asked, but you don’t really need the tables to create the workout. It’s a simple math of:

Total Reps in Sets 1 & 2 = Total reps in sets 3-5, Plus or minus 1.

Example from week 14:
Set 1 ......15
Set 2 .......10
Rep subtotal .......25
Set 3.......9
Set 4.......8
Set 5.......8
Rep subtotal........25
Total reps..............50

That’s helpful information to know. Suppose you feel particularly weak one day. Just total your first two sets, and spread that number out over three more sets. It may be less than scheduled, but it gets the point across.

Seeing the Armstrong thread here prompted me to register and post. This protocol was a disaster for me. I followed it diligently when in was in my late 40s. I'm 64 now, and I've been lifting and doing bodyweight work since I was in college.

When I tried Armstrong, I could comfortably do 15-16 dead hang pull ups on a straight bar. I was hoping to break 20. When I stopped Armstrong, I couldn't do any pulling due to elbow pain. Months later, I was able to hang from towels. I progressed to a few chins with these and moved to rings. I managed to work back to 14-15 ring pull ups. I still can't do a chin up or pull up on a straight bar without pain.

Seeing the Armstrong thread here prompted me to register and post. This protocol was a disaster for me. I followed it diligently when in was in my late 40s. I'm 64 now, and I've been lifting and doing bodyweight work since I was in college.

When I tried Armstrong, I could comfortably do 15-16 dead hang pull ups on a straight bar. I was hoping to break 20. When I stopped Armstrong, I couldn't do any pulling due to elbow pain. Months later, I was able to hang from towels. I progressed to a few chins with these and moved to rings. I managed to work back to 14-15 ring pull ups. I still can't do a chin up or pull up on a straight bar without pain.
That is why I decided to stop after 4 weeks. I progressed from 12 to 15 and now I'm taking less injury-risk way.

@Zuma2 thats valuable experience to share, thank you. Sounds like your anecdote brought you to what Dan John calls “middle aged pullup syndrome.”

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom