all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Army Preparation : Strength, Mobility, Endurance and stress

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

songjun94

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi StrongFirst community,

I am preparing my body to apply for a special unit. (mandatory service of two years)
However, I am afraid I will hurt myself due to improper body preparation in the army.
I have tons of exercises (mobility, prehab, strength, endurance) inspired by Pavel and Ido Portal.

But I am having hard time to program my training.
That is why I am asking you for help.

First, I have to meet the standards for Running (2k), push ups and sit ups (90+ in 2 min).
Second, I have to pre-hab and rehab my entire body to endure stressing military training (and not that intelligent I guess).
Third, I have to be stronger

How should I orient my training program?
Currently, I am running 1-3 times a week (sets of 400m, sets of 200m, and "long distance" of 2-5k), doing mobility exercises (straight single leg good morning, diagonal stretch, Jefferson curl, crossack squat, couch stretch, calves stretching, hanging, kb armbar, wrist prep, etc etc...), and some muscle endurance for push ups and sit ups (fast push ups and OAPU progression) + strength training (not a lot these days...)
I am a crossfit box memeber so I can access to olympic lifting and barbell training as well.

I am also "injured" since a bad torticolis tighten up my rhomboids and traps a few weeks ago.

Can you help me out please?

Thanks,

Seongjun

check out power to the people, s&s, easy strength or all of them. all of those programs get you strong without stressing your body to much. it i'd grease the groove with pushups through out day, say 10 every 1/2 hour. stretch everyday.

Full discloser i'm not a fitness pro, just opinionated. your best of contacting SF instructor and getting there advice.

Hello,

@songjun94
The 3 components are necessary.

That being said, I would go for S&S 3 times a week, running using MAF pace or rucking 2 a week, plus some pull ups if your grip recovers well. Related to mobility, Flexible Steel

Kind regards,

Pet'

As far as running go's, I do sprints for the most part. 1 day of short, 1 day long sprints and test yourself every other week to onets a month. This is what I do to get ready for my PT test every year and I have to go 2 miles.

Hope this helps.

First you might want to check with a doctor and see what he/she thinks about your "injury" as you put it.

The most important factor is IMHO none of those you posted. The winner is by far the will to push forward when your whole body and mind tells you to stop. Sleepless nights, redundancy, too cold, too hot, too good to be true etc.

How long do you have until you have to "meet the standards"? as that could drastically change any recommended routine for you.

The Strong First principals are great for getting ready for boot camp or maintaining after you have completed something like dive training, EOD, Rangers, you get the point. If you are prepping for one of these specialized programs you will need much more. 2-3 ruck sessions a week, distance and load to vary, 2-3 swim sessions with distance accumulating over your prep period starting at 1,000 yards and working up to 60-90 minutes of pool time. S&S can take the part of short runs but you will have to get one long run in a week, not to interfere with your rucking. Mountain/Military Athlete has programs for everything under the sun. Depending on your goal, you will need a specific program. 100-300 push ups, 50-75 pull ups, 100-150 dips and 250-300 sit ups built up over time. not the best selection but the movements you will more than likely get peppered with from day 1.

Hi and welcome on the forum.
At the beginning question is it 2k run or 2miles? It is slight different although both distances should be treated as "run as fast as you can". What is your goal regarding the run? 7, 8min? I'm currently preparing for 3k run and to reach best time I have to run at pace 4:20 min per km. My training for this part of the test include for example:
  1. 5km + 6x100m at 70-80% max speed on a hill 5-15% degree
  2. 1km + 6x400m Tempo run each set at pace 4:20 + 1km
  3. Longer distance for instance 8km at pace 5:35-6:00
As about Pull-ups I'm doing three sets of specific reps three times a week. I treated Sit-ups in the same way, three sets of x reps.

For strengthening the whole body I would recommend S&S or B&S.

check out power to the people, s&s, easy strength or all of them. all of those programs get you strong without stressing your body to much. it i'd grease the groove with pushups through out day, say 10 every 1/2 hour. stretch everyday.

Full discloser i'm not a fitness pro, just opinionated. your best of contacting SF instructor and getting there advice.

Thanks for your opinion ! I'll check again those books :)

Hello,

@songjun94
The 3 components are necessary.

That being said, I would go for S&S 3 times a week, running using MAF pace or rucking 2 a week, plus some pull ups if your grip recovers well. Related to mobility, Flexible Steel

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thank you for your insight. I will definitely check MAF Method!

As far as running go's, I do sprints for the most part. 1 day of short, 1 day long sprints and test yourself every other week to onets a month. This is what I do to get ready for my PT test every year and I have to go 2 miles.

Hope this helps.
Thank you !
I will throw some long distances time to time :)

First you might want to check with a doctor and see what he/she thinks about your "injury" as you put it.

The most important factor is IMHO none of those you posted. The winner is by far the will to push forward when your whole body and mind tells you to stop. Sleepless nights, redundancy, too cold, too hot, too good to be true etc.

How long do you have until you have to "meet the standards"? as that could drastically change any recommended routine for you.

Thanks for your reply. It is not really an injury but too tight muscles, I need a deep tissue massage I guess !
I have until mid - october 2017 to meet the standards.
I would be able to train full time from the end of july as I am studying right now

Hello,

@songjun94
Related to the push ups in themselves, I think S&S may lead you to your goal, with a minimal specific training.

Otherwise, if you can handle high volume, here is a program you can adapt: The Fighter Pull-up Program Revisited (switching pull ups by push ups)

Kind regards,

Pet'
Do you think S&S is enough to reach 90+ push ups ?
My max 4 years ago when I trained a lot on bench press (8-12 reps) and push ups was 76. And now I 'm stuck at <25 ...
I am afraid of high volume because of injury experience when I used to do pushing exercises a lot

The Strong First principals are great for getting ready for boot camp or maintaining after you have completed something like dive training, EOD, Rangers, you get the point. If you are prepping for one of these specialized programs you will need much more. 2-3 ruck sessions a week, distance and load to vary, 2-3 swim sessions with distance accumulating over your prep period starting at 1,000 yards and working up to 60-90 minutes of pool time. S&S can take the part of short runs but you will have to get one long run in a week, not to interfere with your rucking. Mountain/Military Athlete has programs for everything under the sun. Depending on your goal, you will need a specific program. 100-300 push ups, 50-75 pull ups, 100-150 dips and 250-300 sit ups built up over time. not the best selection but the movements you will more than likely get peppered with from day 1.

Thanks a lot for your help.
I am actually preparing for Presidential bodyguard and I cannot really find any information on specific training except that some officers are sent to do the BUDS and Marines parachute training.
I won't be an officer so I don't think I will get those specific programs but I guess I would have to prepare as if I was doing it...

S&S seems to be the best option for short running & basic strength.

Do you have any suggestion on building the numbers for those muscle endurance exercises?

Hi
Hi and welcome on the forum.
At the beginning question is it 2k run or 2miles? It is slight different although both distances should be treated as "run as fast as you can". What is your goal regarding the run? 7, 8min? I'm currently preparing for 3k run and to reach best time I have to run at pace 4:20 min per km. My training for this part of the test include for example:
  1. 5km + 6x100m at 70-80% max speed on a hill 5-15% degree
  2. 1km + 6x400m Tempo run each set at pace 4:20 + 1km
  3. Longer distance for instance 8km at pace 5:35-6:00
As about Pull-ups I'm doing three sets of specific reps three times a week. I treated Sit-ups in the same way, three sets of x reps.

For strengthening the whole body I would recommend S&S or B&S.
Hi ! thank you for your help!

I am preparing actually for 1.5K (checked again). The max points you can get is if you run it under 4min30s

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom