all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Arnold Strongman Classic 2017

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JeffC

Level 7 Valued Member
The Arnold Strongman Classic is coming up this weekend. It's looking like it will be an awesome test of strength between some of the strongest men in the world. They removed the Circus Dumbell and added Weight Over bar with a sandbag. A dynamic event should be a good addition, even though the Dumbell is my favourite event. The Elephant Bar Deadlift is back also. The Yoke is still there which disappointing because it always hurts people. A few years ago it took out Lalas for a number of years. Zydrunas just pulled out of the contest after seriously injuring himself with a 700kg yoke. Anyone who has ever tried a heavy Yoke knows how crushing it is. Brian Shaw has been posting some crazy training videos. He is over 450lbs now, and I am sure he will dominate.

There is a womens pro contest this year with some amazing Strongwoman. There has been an amature contest for a few years. Check out strong champions Donna Moore, Kristin Rhodes, and Kaitlin Burgess. The growth of Strongwoman in recent years is awesome.

Anyone pay attention to modern strongman?

Anyone pay attenti wason to modern strongman?
Watched it as a kid around the time when Magnus Ver Magnussen was in his prime, but then they stopped showing it on TV.
Recently I got a bit back into it through youtube vids of Thor Björnson. He's so likeable :)

With Zydrunas out it could be Hafthor's year, but Shaw rarely makes a mistake.

I was hopeful Martins Licis would do well, but he has a pinched nerve in his neck that is affecting his right delt and bicep. Having to perform the log will be tough for him.

I don't like how they spent about 30sec on steroid use. Terry Hollands says he had never seen anyone use. They should just own it. It is in every strength sport, sport and prevalent in film and TV. They could not do the things they do without it.

I literally said that out loud to my girlfriend while we were watching.

I have nothing against peds but for some reason no one ever wants to talk about it.

Wait wait wait, these guys aren't natural and clean? There goes my dreams and aspirations. But seriously, I still find it a blast to watch them do the things they do.

Thor looks strong and is taking it serious, 205kg bodyweight and looks lean with it - unsure if Stan efferding is doing his diet or his 'supplements' - either way its working!

Dont think they can ever properly admit their use as it's illegal in most countries (although use is not in Britain). Think Terry was the perfect person to ask as out of all of them he is the most likely to be clean as his just naturally huge structure wise, almost plausible deniability. I know some of Terrys training partners who conpete in the drug tested strongman federation in Britain which I set up about five years ago

It's a shame about the circus dumbbell, that was my favourite event too but the new format will set some new records and settle the issue of who has the best performance in that type lift for this year.

Do hormones come under the "drug" category @Glen or is that a separate issue altogether ?

@HUNTER1313 I don't think it diminishes their accomplishments.

It doesn't at all. I hate how some people (not anyone here) act like you can take drugs and sit on the couch all day and you magically get big and strong.

At the same time I don't like how the world's most elite athletes play dumb when it comes to peds.

At the same time I don't like how the world's most elite athletes play dumb when it comes to peds.
The have to play dumb for two reasons. @Glen already mentioned the legal consquences they would face in a lot of countries. The second would be sponsors. Sponsors put anti-doping paragraphs into their contracts. IMO they are well aware that most of the athletes they sponsor use PEDs, but when one would be found out or him-/herself admitted to it they can legally void the contract. It's an easy way out for them.
So as an athlete if you don't play dumb you'll face either legal or financial problems or both.

How about the Arnold Weightlifting Championship. It is always an exciting meet that the athletes and fans. It started yesterday but I have not seen any results yet.

It's the Arnold Sports Festival now with a lot of different sports and competitions.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom