all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Article on Squat Depth

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Steve,

Very interesting article.

It will be some time before I get to have that problem.

In the meantime, my squat is weak. I cannot get to 90'.

Will this improve over time as I do them and get stronger in S&S or should I do something extra?

Lew, the best thing would be to work with one of our instructors on your squat. In the meantime, hang onto something sturdy, e.g., the upright of a power rack, and try to squat deeper that way.

-S-

Squat depth has never been an issue for me - that is to say, I can get ATG with a kettlebell or barbell. What I worry about is the strain on my knees while getting back up. I never thought about it much before, and figured it was just a matter of eventually getting stronger. Didn't work out that way, though - had to quit squatting due to knee pain. I wonder if it was due to a lack of hip drive. Kettlebells feel good right now. I just turn the music up loud enough to hide the knee creaks.

Sorry, I thought you said you couldn't get to 90 degrees.

You need a doctor to clear you to squat and to understand what's going on with your knees.

I fix a lot of squats in person, tough to make suggestions without seeing yours. You could post a video here assuming your doctor clears you to perform the movement.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom