all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Article translation about Russian Systema

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

@Ricky01
If we do a push up (for instance): 40s negative phase, 40s positive phase. Then you do it again, and again...and again...and again ;) The idea is still to avoid failure of course. Going that slow makes you work only a few reps. If you feel you will not be able to complete the next rep, do not go for it. In Systema, we do not look for "performance", but pain management and pain endurance.

When you finish the PU, you can do the squat, following the same principle, then the abs

Kind regards,

Pet'

How do they program that type of training @pet' ?

Is it done like a traditional boxing routine where you do your speed work first and then do the strength work, or more like other martial arts where they normally do the strength and conditioning before the martial arts training ?

Or is the strength work done on days when you're not in the dojo ?

In boxing training in particular many coaches believe that strength training before doing your speed work puts the brakes on so to speak and slows you down.

It seems like it's a bit one paced and mostly slow twitch fiber orientated style of training. In reality you can't just hit the slow twitch fibers no matter how you train but if that style of training was programmed wrong it seems like it could rob you of your speed.

Hello,

@Tarzan
This is done before the training. Slow pace moves done that way permit to get an intense feeling of "relaxation" when you end them up. All the limbs become "soft". Here, we have to consider the move for 3 goals:
- pain endurance
- relaxation
- breath work

The more you modify your pace, the more you are obliged to perfectly adapt your breathing patterns to eliminate all tensions. The idea is to get tension, only in the considered limbs (shoulder / arm in the case of a push up for instance). This is completely different from a StrongFirst push up, or even a "standard" push up.

If we still consider the push up as an example, your fist will more or less be like "a canon ball at the extremity of a rope"

I also did lots of boxing and judo. I've never been the strongest or even the fastest. However, technique breathing and placement were more accurate. This helped me a lot ! This kind of drill will teach you how to move smoothly to hit properly. The whole body has to become a single unit. Fedor Emilyanenko is a good example: look at how he moves, how he strikes. Most of the time, he uses the whole body as a "lasso" move. This comes from some relaxation state.

In more "traditional" MA, you can find more or less the same philosophy in Aikido

Kind regards,

Pet'

Cheers @pet'

Thanks for the in depth response.

I must admit Systema is one of the few martial arts I've never been exposed to, except for a few youtube vids here and there.

I'm always very hesitant to say that's wrong or similar statements about things I don't know much about. So I appreciate the input.

Slow twitch training has always been part of my training but I've never seen it applied in that context. There's some wisdom in the philosophy for sure.

Thanks Pet .... interesting.

I gave it a wee try earlier. I must say trying it with band pullaparts and pushups was hard. You feel as if you are aware of every fiber contracting and relaxing.

Richard

Hello,

@Tarzan
In Systema, there is a kind of "saying" which says "you have to be able to fight the way you walk...long time without exhaustion". I guess this type of training and relaxation permits to fight without "excessive fatigue" due to stress. Being relaxed also helps a lot to know "what to do, when doing it, how doing it": it makes the spirit and mind clear.

Basically, in Systema, you have to be able to fight in the street when you end up the training. You do not have to feel fatigue or pain. For instance, sometimes some folks are a bit sore after a boxing training. Systema also looks for health.

I was also very skeptical at the beginning. But as times goes by, it works pretty well.

Like you, I do not like the right / wrong or this works / this does not work statements. I like trying by myself and exploring different approaches. It keeps me open-minded ! Then, I pick up what it "useful to me", what I feel comfortable with.

@Ricky01
This slow work permits to have a real and deep body scanning. This is very important and interesting :)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Pet

How many sets do you do (if one rep 40/40 is also one set) of each movement?

How often do you do this a week?

Richard

@pet'
Is it right to assume, that this kind of training would close all the little gaps left by traditional methods? kind of build an extra strength through linking the body into one unit?

and have you tried to mix it up with, let´s say, one arm push ups or plyometrics? so, for example, you would do one very slow normal push up and than finish with one arm push ups.

Hello,

@Ricky01
How many sets do you do (if one rep 40/40 is also one set) of each movement?

How often do you do this a week?
Most of the time, I do this twice a week.

Regarding the number of reps, it greatly depends on my state. This is very feeling based. This kind of training is also based on time under tension. In general, I do 3 reps.

@Sergej
Is it right to assume, that this kind of training would close all the little gaps left by traditional methods? kind of build an extra strength through linking the body into one unit?
To a certain extent, yes it is possible. However, it depends on if you work on isolation exercises in your "main routine" or not. My main routine is already based on full body moves and make my body working as a single unit. In addition to the single unit, it also creates some "mind-muscle" connection. This is very important because it teaches you how to scan your body parts. But yes, it builds lot of strength with a great control, with very few stress on joints.

and have you tried to mix it up with, let´s say, one arm push ups or plyometrics? so, for example, you would do one very slow normal push up and than finish with one arm push ups.
For a while yes I did something similar. I used some contrast training: slow negatives and fast positive phases. I went well for hypertrophy and muscle development. This works all the muscle fibers

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom