all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Article: Working while sleepy? You might as well do vodka shots at your desk

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Truth. I always aim to get enough sleep, but sometimes I slip up. Today was such a day. Needless to say today wasn't the most productive of days.
I just can't understand why people would willingly skip out on (quality) sleep.

While any amount of sleep is better than none, I'll contribute that 30 minutes is the minimum effective nap time.

(The Army made a lot of dudes suffer to reach this conclusion.)

Thanks @Will Moore , it's a big issue in the industry I'm in. Never could figure out why an employer would want their employees coming to work tired when it's nothing but the fault of the employer.

Take the following for what its worth (as with all clinical studies) but sleep psychology research indicates that naps over 30 minutes become more disruptive than beneficial when compared to 15-30 minute naps. A 20 minute nap will offset an hour of missed sleep the night before. Over 30 minutes and you reach deeper levels of sleep which make getting up from the nap disorienting and can throw off your sleep cycle, meaning it will be harder to fall asleep that night. Of course, for someone desperately sleep deprived (as I imagine many in the army may live with), it is almost always easy to fall asleep.

I believe the number I have heard between 20 minutes and 8-9 hours is 90 minutes. IIRC, 90 minutes offers one REM cycle. Dr. Kirk Parsley is a solid resource regarding the impact of poor sleep hygiene and methods to get back on track.

If the article is correct then I must be legally drunk almost all the time.

Ever since the the guy moved in next door and set up a drop in center for recently released prisoners/meth house, sleep is almost impossible for me. They seem to have an inverted lifestyle where they stay up all night riding noisy motorbikes and laying rubber in their cars and fighting in the street etc and then they are quiet during the day.

The only time I can get a good nights sleep is when I've had a few drinks.

If I don't catch a nap here and there I'd burn out for sure. My naps aren't really sleep either they are more of a deep meditation for about 30mins and they seem to restore me and keep me going.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom