all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Articles and suplemental material

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Brian Johnston

Level 7 Valued Member
Elite Certified Instructor
I've been making a small collection of StrongFirst articles that I reference frequently, that offer insight/updates on existing core programs, or that have offered me an "ah-ha!" moment or two while reading. Recently someone turned me on to the ETK Special Reports but could only send me #1. Pursuant to both points I have two questions:

1. Does anyone know where I can dig up special reports #2 or #3? Google was remarkably unhelpful. Is there somewhere they're posted? Do they have to be purchased somewhere?
2. Are there any articles out there that you have found particularly enlightening or worth referencing?

In case you're wondering, these are some of the articles I'm talking about:
Things Are Going So Well, Help Me Screw It Up; Daniel John and Mike Warren Brown
Simple & Sinister Progression Tactic; Pavel Tsatsouline
Simple & Sinister + Heart Rate Training; Al Ciampa
From Simple to Sinister: Waving Volume on S&S; Pavel Tsatsouline
From Simple to Serious Endurance; Al Ciampa
Total Tension Kettlebell Complex; Pavel Tsatsouline
StrongFirst SFG Kettlebell Certification Prep Guide; Brett Jones
A Science-Based Plan to Prepare You for the SFG Level I and SFG Level II; Craig Marker

There are many good articles on the StrongFirst site. But it's not easy to navigate through all of them to find the best ones.

But the one I like the most I almost have on speed dial and it is this one:

Absolute Strength Is the True Master Quality

It is well written, has a great anecdote, and overall great information, and the main point is, well, great and let's say maybe even a bit forgotten.

I like the programming articles. For example this one:

The Origins of StrongFirst Programming: The Soviet System

That article looks deviously simple and short on the first look, but it's full of great information, but it's just succinct, put in single sentences after each other. It's sometimes good to look at the basics, so you can see the forest from the trees.

There are plenty of other good ones, about training on general, and with specific plans for specific needs. But those two are the ones that came to mind first without having to browse the section.

My favorite article is about "blending strength and health":
The Cost of Adaptation

Big Picture on Kettlebells, Barbells, and Bodyweight - enlightening
Why Kettlebells, Barbells, and Bodyweight Demand Different Programming

There are stretching courses there, that are sold for a lot of money and that don't contain more information than this flexibility guide:
Flexibility Exercises for Kettlebell Training and Kettlebell Sport

Very important. Big picture on Pavels/SF's kettlebell programs:
Things Are Going So Well, Help Me Screw It Up, Part 2

If you do S&S this is a must read. Motivating.
Solid: In-Between Simple & Sinister

Simple Conditioning
The Ultimate Kettlebell Exercise for Martial Conditioning

Sinister Conditioning
From “Simple” to Serious Endurance

This article contains a complete Plan Strong press program and a A&A conditioning program!
A Science-Based Plan to Prepare You for the SFG Level I and SFG Level II

There are many more - best press/pull/hinge/squat articles from Pavel, Karen Smith's bodyweight articles and a lot of other essentials.

I have both EtK Special reports.
@Steve Freides What is the best approach here? Can there be any legal trouble in sharing them?
I don’t know what the copyright status of these things is. They probably shouldn’t be posted as attachments here.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom