all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Asking for help finding bodyweight training program for me

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Samuel M

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello everybody,

my name is Samuel (or Sam, however you want to call me :)) and I'm 18.

I've always been into sport and movement - my sport background is:
1 year football
1 year basketball
4 years of canoeing
(this all was before I went to highschool at 15)
2 years of occasionally gym (max 1 time per week, I've had problematic time at first two years of high school)
1 year of kick-boxing (really into it mostly 3 to 4 times per week almost whole year)
1 year of nothing - 4 th year at highschool (lot of work - preparing for final exams, side projects etc...)

Now I'm done with highschool and going to an university in 4 months and that means I finally have the time needed to exercise. Also I started recently to wake up at 4:40 AM and workout for an hour, which suits me great.

So what am I asking for: I want to get into bodyweight-calisthenics and I think it's good to start with some training program, which is made by somebody more experienced.
On the internet I've seen some books or programs yet (for example Bodyweight Evolution, Overcoming Gravity 2 or Recommended Routine), but trying to figure out which would be good for me (doesn't have to be anything from the 3 above!!). This is where I need help from you.

Height: 6 feet, 0.44 inches (~ 184 cm)
Weight: 163 lb (~ 74.5 kg)
Body fat: 8.2% (according to our 200$ weighing machine, so I hope I used it correctly :D )

I can do almost all basic moves - push ups, pull ups, dips, squats, chin ups... Can't do muscle up and other advanced moves.
My goal are advanced moves (muscle up, human flags, various handstands etc.) and also gain muscles. I know it requires a lot of effort and time, but I'm ready for that and continue in calisthenics.

So... that's it. And if you are willing to give some tips nad infos for beginner (for example in nutrition or planning workout, anything!!), I'd be delighted ;):)

P.S. If grammar or spelling mistakes, sorry.

My advice would be, not too spend too much money. I regretted buying Overcoming Gravity, because you can find all the knowledge online for free.

I started with this program:
Start Bodyweight Training: Start Bodyweight basic routine
But you have already achieved all the basics.

Another free program is:

There are more. Maybe it would be the best to create your own program - find a template that suits you the best (3x full body vs. push/pull split twice a week vs. something lese), select 2-4 goals and concentrate on them (find progressions/assistance exercises on the web, try out different sets/reps/hold times, mix statics/dynamics). After some monthes you will know what works.

Hey so im going to echo Steve and suggest Naked Warrior. Its well worth it even if you don't have the movements down yet for the breathing/tention techniques.

I'll make two more suggestions
This by @Karen Smith (haven't done it but everything of hers is excellent) Surprise Yourself With Strength on This Bodyweight Training Plan | StrongFirst

This is another program that looks excellent from. The Anytime, Anywhere Bodyweight-Only Strength Program | StrongFirst

PS. if your goals revolve around hypertrophy dips are a must. Enjoy, calisthenics are kinda amazing and by getting better at the tension techniques from NW all my grinds went up.

Check out the Kavadlo brothers, Al and Danny.

Also, consider getting a suspension trainer. That adds a lot of variations and progressions.

My advice would be, not too spend too much money. I regretted buying Overcoming Gravity, because you can find all the knowledge online for free.

I started with this program:
Start Bodyweight Training: Start Bodyweight basic routine
But you have already achieved all the basics.

Another free program is:

There are more. Maybe it would be the best to create your own program - find a template that suits you the best (3x full body vs. push/pull split twice a week vs. something lese), select 2-4 goals and concentrate on them (find progressions/assistance exercises on the web, try out different sets/reps/hold times, mix statics/dynamics). After some monthes you will know what works.

Thanks, I think the best suits me to do chest, abs, arms, legs etc. separately. How often do you think I should train? 4 or 5 times per week?
And the biggest problem is that I don't know how to make my own plan - f.ex. at monday I do pull ups. What next moves should I do when pull ups? That's something I have to figure out now..
Finally I have little question - I have seen something like "do 50x12 pull-up" what means the "50x12" (I think it was not do 50 sets of 12 pull ups...) ?
Once again, thank you.

Check out the Kavadlo brothers, Al and Danny.

Also, consider getting a suspension trainer. That adds a lot of variations and progressions.
Thanks for recommendation, I already do watch Danny (if we both mean Daniel Vadnal) and I find him great!

There are many things to be said here.

Too much money is in the eye of the beholder. I will repeat my earlier suggestion - start your bodyweight exercise journey by reading Naked Warrior and learning the movements taught in that book.

Further to that, at StrongFirst, we pride ourselves on the depth to which we explore a relatively limited number of movements and modalities. If someone wants a program to learn how to do "all," there are plenty of free things online, as you observe.

The OP asks for a training program. I don't think a training program is where anyone ought to start any exercise program. Start with a proper grounding in the principles and practices of strength, and continue with a minimalist program that allows you to master a few key movements.

The OP further observes

I can do almost all basic moves - push ups, pull ups, dips, squats, chin ups... Can't do muscle up and other advanced moves.

I would ask that the OP learn to do the basic moves better before moving on to more advanced ones. (Perhaps the OP can post a video, since at the moment we can only speculate about his skill level.)

The previously mentioned book, plus the free program available through this web site's blog are plenty for anyone except a relatively advanced trainee.

-S-

it sounds like you are doing a lot of things right already.

i'd recommend to not worry about a program for a while, because body weight exercise plays by a different set of rules when it comes to recovery and progression

even Pavel's "GTG" is how to get super strong "without a routine". highly recommend the NW book for everything it offers.

why not just focus on getting better at what you can already do? practicing every day, like you are already doing

the lower-level moves are the way to build strength to the higher end skills. the person who can do the flag is also usually the same person doing 15-20 pull ups in a row. does that make sense?

Al Kavadlo's books are where you will find a great deal of information about what interests you.

Daniel Vadnal is great as well, though his paid programs might be for more advanced users. I bought "body by rings" and it was a great program, but was beyond my current skill level at the time.

it's just about getting your reps in, for now, at least

have fun :)

Thanks, I think the best suits me to do chest, abs, arms, legs etc. separately. How often do you think I should train? 4 or 5 times per week?
And the biggest problem is that I don't know how to make my own plan - f.ex. at monday I do pull ups. What next moves should I do when pull ups? That's something I have to figure out now..
Finally I have little question - I have seen something like "do 50x12 pull-up" what means the "50x12" (I think it was not do 50 sets of 12 pull ups...) ?
Once again, thank you.

The essence of "Overcoming Gravity" is in this article:
The Fundamentals of Bodyweight Strength Training
In the book you have more details, but the main principle of his programming is clear from the article.

If you have time to train 5 times a week, you can do something like this:
Push / Pull / Legs / X / Push / Pull / X / X
(Handstand as often as possible)
Start with 2-3 exercises per workout and as you can handle them, add more, but listen to your body.
An example (you should choose your exercises - don't do too many, concentrate on few goals)
Push: Handstand progression - 3-5 sets / Dips - 3-5 sets (optional, if you feel fresh - Pushups - 3-5 sets)
Pull: Front Lever progression - 3-5 holds / Pullups - 3-5 sets / Bodyweight Rows - 3-5 sets
Legs: Barbell deadlift / squat

What you can also do, is timed sets. Forget reps and sets and just do 15-20 minutes of an exercise and rest as much as needed. Notice the reps you have done in this time and make sure that they are going up every session or switch to a harder variation. Than 5-10 minutes rest and than another exercise for 15-20 minutes. This is simple, but it can work.

What works for me personally is full body 3-4 days a week. If you do paired sets (pairing antagonists - as pushups/rows, pullups/dips, front lever/planche ..) it's very time efficient.

Programming is not rocket science. Just do enough volume to get better, but don't get injured from overtraining:
https://i0.wp.com/myzone-strengtheo...14/12/Decision-Tree.png?resize=1024,827&ssl=1

More is More • Stronger by Science

Too much money is in the eye of the beholder. I will repeat my earlier suggestion - start your bodyweight exercise journey by reading Naked Warrior and learning the movements taught in that book.

Naked Warrior is a great book, but Samuel stated:
My goal are advanced moves (muscle up, human flags, various handstands etc.) and also gain muscles.
Doing pushups and pistols GTG is not the most optimal way for his goals.

@Jevgenij, Naked Warrior gives principles, guidance on implementing those StrongFirst principles with bodyweight exercises, and programs based on those principles. I restate my earlier point - the choice of exercise and program is not the most important thing. The Naked Warrior book is StrongFirst's recommended starting point for someone interested in bodyweight exercise. When one understands how to practice the principles, one can then practice them on many exercises and with a variety of programming.

My favorite saying about programs is that there are 10,000 good programs out there and a million bad ones. It's great you've figured out what works for you, I agree.

-S-

Everyone, I appreciate so much your messages, I read them all.

The essence of "Overcoming Gravity" is in this article:
The Fundamentals of Bodyweight Strength Training
In the book you have more details, but the main principle of his programming is clear from the article.

I'm reading it and it's great. There are also few articles about making own routine which is absolutely for me. Also the routine proposion is good, I definitely use something from that.
(Handstand as often as possible)
True, as first I have to figure out the balanced position when upside down, so I think I'm going to do handstands as often as possible throughout the day :)

Naked Warrior gives principles, guidance on implementing those StrongFirst principles with bodyweight exercises, and programs based on those principles. I restate my earlier point - the choice of exercise and program is not the most important thing.

highly recommend the NW book for everything it offers.

Hey so im going to echo Steve and suggest Naked Warrior. Its well worth it even if you don't have the movements down yet for the breathing/tention techniques.

Based for all the positive recommendations I'm gonna give the Naked Warrior a go. It costs around 14$ here, also it's an investment.

the lower-level moves are the way to build strength to the higher end skills. the person who can do the flag is also usually the same person doing 15-20 pull ups in a row. does that make sense?
I see it does. I just don't know how often should I do f. ex. pull ups and how to make my own routine, so that's why I decided for the book.

Thanks once again for everyone's tips.

just sayin'....posting a vid of a solid one-arm or OAOL pushup and a great pistol should be a prereq of negging Naked Warrior or promoting something else over it... Great book for learning to use your body to develop power for any technique or sport!

Convict Conditioning by Paul Wade. Its the only body weight program that appealed to me, and I followed it for over 40 weeks, before getting into kettle bell training. If I were to get back to body weight training I'd get back to CC. The big 6 progression's can keep one busy for years.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom