all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Asking for help finding bodyweight training program for me

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Samuel M
it is so wonderful that you are starting your strength journey at a young age, this means the sky is the limit for what you can learn. I happy to see you purchased Naked Warrior as the principles you will learn will carry over to many other skills.
Staring with pistols, One Arm/One Leg pushup and pullups are a great place to start.
Where are you at with these three skills?
If you post a video to show your current technique and strength, I would be happy to help with where to progress.

Another recommendation for future, Attending one of our SFB course will give you a better understanding of program design.
Tag me one you post your videos or email me at karen.smith@strongfirst.com

@Karen Smith

it is so wonderful that you can support that much!
I would really love to attend SFB course - I live in Central Europe, as soon as there will be some course nearby, I'll be there!

Here's a link to the requested video:

(First time I filmed myself doing something - hope everything will be clear there o.o)

Pull ups not included (my pull up muscle groups are sore from friday exercise...) - I can do 3-4 common pull ups, none wide grip, chin ups from 5-7.

P.S. warning, maybe loud audio

Ok so I've just read Naked Warrior and just because of that I fell much stronger than before :D But in fact, I feel confused now.
Before I read the book I've made a split to 5 days training a week, but now when I know about GTG I don't know how to combine the calisthenics plan with pistols and OAPU.
I would like to go for the GTG with pistols and OAPU, but does it mean my planned (classic calisthenics) trainings are going to stay and add the GTG or should I train GTG only?

And Pavel says the rest between sets should be 5-15 mins and number of sets more than 4 or 5.

So for example.
I start workout at 8 am - OAPU progression and 15 mins rest.
But the pistols? Where should they be? Should I do a set of pistols right after OAPU and then 15 mins rest and again OAPU and pistols?

Also I've found an interesting comment in YouTube comment section under Pavel's video about GTG - the comment is in upload section.
The guy used to do GTG in 14 hours a day!! Is it common?

I know that I have so many questions, but that's just an expression of how do I feel now...

Attachments

• Comment.png
    Comment.png
    67.6 KB · Views: 6
But the pistols? Where should they be? Should I do a set of pistols right after OAPU and then 15 mins rest and again OAPU and pistols?
You may be overthinking.
GTG is a great way to build strength, especially in calisthenics that you can do anywhere anytime.
The idea of GTG is to train as much as you can, as heavy as you can, while staying as fresh as possible: many sets throughout the day, less reps than what you are capable of, and plenty of rest.
An other principle, not to be forgotten, is to vary the load.
You don't have to match sets/reps in pistol/OAP.

One way of doing it is by feeling (usually what I do when GTGing pistols and OAP).
Another is by using dice. For example, decide the frequency with one dice, and the reps with the other. Do this for each exercise independently.
You will have a lot of variability of intensity and volume without having to think about it.

Ok so I've just read Naked Warrior and just because of that I fell much stronger than before :D But in fact, I feel confused now.
Before I read the book I've made a split to 5 days training a week, but now when I know about GTG I don't know how to combine the calisthenics plan with pistols and OAPU.
I would like to go for the GTG with pistols and OAPU, but does it mean my planned (classic calisthenics) trainings are going to stay and add the GTG or should I train GTG only?

And Pavel says the rest between sets should be 5-15 mins and number of sets more than 4 or 5.

So for example.

Also I've found an interesting comment in YouTube comment section under Pavel's video about GTG - the comment is in upload section.
The guy used to do GTG in 14 hours a day!! Is it common?

I know that I have so many questions, but that's just an expression of how do I feel now...

Naked Warrior Tips/Comments

might be helpful

Last edited by a moderator:
The idea of GTG is to train as much as you can, as heavy as you can, while staying as fresh as possible: many sets throughout the day, less reps than what you are capable of, and plenty of rest.
I get it, thanks

And what about my classical routine, is GTG supposed to be the only training (even if it's like full-day training) thorough the day?
And second question is does GTG need warming up before each set?

Thank you - it's much more clear now.

I get it, thanks

And what about my classical routine, is GTG supposed to be the only training (even if it's like full-day training) thorough the day?
And second question is does GTG need warming up before each set?

Thank you - it's much more clear now.
You can mix GTG BW training with any other kind of training. Pavel adresses this question in the NW book (if you haven't bought it, I would suggest that you do). But Pavel suggests, that OA(OL)PU is the only pushing movement you do, while you are working on that. Of course different people will have different levels of tolerance. GTG is all hyperfocused on the "neurological" skill aspect of strength.
You don't NEED to warmup, and as far as I recall, Pavel doesn't mention it at all. But you can do if you want, I would suggest picking a variation of a move, that doesn't require warmup.

Combining with other training
It depends of your classical routine and your short-term goals. Considering where you are at the moment, I would limit other exercises for the time.
As told by the book: avoid any other pushing movement.
As you want to go into calisthenics, you may do a more classical approach for your pullups.
I would not add any other strength training until you have good pistols and OAP, anyway. Better to focus on improving a few things than trying to do anything.

Warmup
The ideal would be to be able to do them without any warmup. This would allow the best of GTG. You just do your pistol and OAP, no sweat, and come back to your business. Don't forget to pick easier variations too.

Pistol
When I see your pistol, the first one is quite good, and you are "falling" in the last part of the second one. I would stick for now to a single full pistol (that you can do well), and find an easier variation to be able to vary the load (to a block, assisted, holding the foot...).

One-arm pushup
In your OAP, you seem to have an unpacked shoulders. I would regress to progress and do some classic two hand pushups, on the floor, to ensure good shoulder packing with an easier move before coming back to elevated OAP. It may come very fast (a week or two), and you will progress faster this way.

Where are you in central Europe ? There are quite a few SFB there that could help you in person in both technical aspects and programming.

You can mix GTG BW training with any other kind of training. Pavel adresses this question in the NW book (if you haven't bought it, I would suggest that you do). But Pavel suggests, that OA(OL)PU is the only pushing movement you do, while you are working on that. Of course different people will have different levels of tolerance. GTG is all hyperfocused on the "neurological" skill aspect of strength.
You don't NEED to warmup, and as far as I recall, Pavel doesn't mention it at all. But you can do if you want, I would suggest picking a variation of a move, that doesn't require warmup.

Ok, I think I'll go with pull up training and GTG instead of pushing and legs.

There wasn't anything about warmup in the book, so I was interested.

Combining with other training
It depends of your classical routine and your short-term goals. Considering where you are at the moment, I would limit other exercises for the time.
As told by the book: avoid any other pushing movement.
As you want to go into calisthenics, you may do a more classical approach for your pullups.
I would not add any other strength training until you have good pistols and OAP, anyway. Better to focus on improving a few things than trying to do anything.

Warmup
The ideal would be to be able to do them without any warmup. This would allow the best of GTG. You just do your pistol and OAP, no sweat, and come back to your business. Don't forget to pick easier variations too.

Pistol
When I see your pistol, the first one is quite good, and you are "falling" in the last part of the second one. I would stick for now to a single full pistol (that you can do well), and find an easier variation to be able to vary the load (to a block, assisted, holding the foot...).

One-arm pushup
In your OAP, you seem to have an unpacked shoulders. I would regress to progress and do some classic two hand pushups, on the floor, to ensure good shoulder packing with an easier move before coming back to elevated OAP. It may come very fast (a week or two), and you will progress faster this way.

Where are you in central Europe ? There are quite a few SFB there that could help you in person in both technical aspects and programming.

I'm gonna go with the common pushups unless I'll get better in them.
Pistols are kinda hard for me, so I'll pick an easier variation first.

I live in Czech Republic.

Thank you both for your tips and advices in these details, I now understand everything I think I need.

You are welcome.
In Czech republic, you have @Pavel Macek in Prague and quite a few instructors in the rest of the country. A SFG/SFL can also help you, it is more about principles more than the specific modality.
If you are closer to the border, I am in Bratislava. I speak Czecho-Slovak. :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom