all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Assault bike program

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

conor78

Level 6 Valued Member
Ordered an assault bike for the garage. Want to build it into an organised program rather than random workouts or finishers. I’ve previously used the Pete Plan with a C2 rower and it was excellent. Has anyone any recommendations in terms of a program or about how they have used alongside their own training.

Ordered an assault bike for the garage. Want to build it into an organised program rather than random workouts or finishers. I’ve previously used the Pete Plan with a C2 rower and it was excellent. Has anyone any recommendations in terms of a program or about how they have used alongside their own training.
I usually have done the different planned training that is already programmed in. 30 second sprint followed by 90 seconds rest, 2 k for time, 10k for time, and tabatas. It's a beast of a machine, the faster you push yourself the better the breeze you get...….and the more painful it becomes. Enjoy your new toy, they are a blast!

I was doing 20-40min fartleks of a few minutes easy alternating with 8-10 second sprints interspersed for a couple months.

Now, I feel very confident that the assault bike would be an amazing tool for Q&D. Either by itself or alternating with another movement.

I have been looking at buying the Assault Bike for the past year, but just was not ready till I read your post.
So I ordered one two weeks ago.

Since I hurt my shoulder a few months back I stopped doing the Get up, but Have still been doing the S&S Swings.
Q&D pushups are to hard on my shoulder, so I have now started using the Q&D snatch timing (sort of) for the Assault Bike.
20 seconds hard, 40 seconds slow, 20 seconds hard, 1:40 slow; that's one interval.

Question: Do you think 20 seconds on the Assault bike going hard is a close approximate to 10 Snatches?
I know, apples and oranges, but, do you think it would work?

Sounds good BC man, the assault bike is a brutal piece of kit. I haven’t measured cal burn on 10 snatches but from my own experience I would find 20 seconds on the asssault bike more challenging. Q and D type approach would be a good fit for it.

I have been looking at buying the Assault Bike for the past year, but just was not ready till I read your post.
So I ordered one two weeks ago.

Since I hurt my shoulder a few months back I stopped doing the Get up, but Have still been doing the S&S Swings.
Q&D pushups are to hard on my shoulder, so I have now started using the Q&D snatch timing (sort of) for the Assault Bike.
20 seconds hard, 40 seconds slow, 20 seconds hard, 1:40 slow; that's one interval.

Question: Do you think 20 seconds on the Assault bike going hard is a close approximate to 10 Snatches?
I know, apples and oranges, but, do you think it would work?

I think 20 seconds on the assault bike is much harder systemically. I'd go with 15 seconds due to what's explained in Q&D page 26-33.

Thanks for the replies.
Yes I think 15 seconds would work better.
After a couple intervals, getting to 20 seconds gets quite hard!
Soon I'll be rolling the dice to see how many intervals for the day. Like the book.

I was deciding between the concept two and the assault to buy, my wife said she would use the Bike, not the rower. Decision made.

Al

I'd go with 15 seconds due to what's explained in Q&D page 26-33.

Agreed, 15-16 seconds, like the big cat.

Yes I think 15 seconds would work better.

15 Seconds Sprints

Everyone is on board with 15 seconds sprints; which makes sense.

The underlying reason is that ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate) is the what fuels Power and Maximum Strength.

ATP is expended in around 15 seconds or less. After 15 seconds, power drops like a rock.

Fast Twitch Type IIa and "Super" Fast Type IIb/x Muscle Fiber utilize ATP. Once ATP is depleted, the Muscle Fiber down shifts as follows...

"Super" Fast Type IIb/x > Fast Type IIa > Slow Twitch Type I Muscle Fiber

Thus, if the intent is on training/developing the the "Super" Fast Type IIb/x and Fast Type IIa Muscle Fiber, sprint time needs to be around the 15 second range of less.

Continuing past 15 seconds elicit a different training effect; which is fine if that is your objective.

SMIT, Supra Maximal Interval Training

SMIT require longer rest periods between sprints, 2 - 3 minutes.

That allows for greater ATP restoration to the muscles, which ensure you are able to produce/develop more power.force.

Research shows the following...

1) 30 seconds of rest restores around 50% of ATP.

2) 45 seconds restores (Dr Greg Haff) around 79% of ATP.

3) 3 minutes or longer restores 100% of ATP.

Thus, the longer the rest between sprints, the greater your power/.force production with the following sprint/set.

Tabata Protocol

This involves short rest between sets of 10 seconds.

This method falls into Metabolic Training; great for increasing your metabolism and conditioning.

However, since it limits restoration Muscle ATP Restoration, development of power is limited.

Last edited:
FWIW, when I do Q&D style sprints, I aim to sprint only as long as I feel like I'm accelerating. For me, that maxes out at 30 steps, and it's often closer to 20 steps. It's not 15 seconds long - at my jogging pace, 30 steps is 10 seconds, and sprinting, it's faster.

-S-

Hello!
Any follow up to your results with this program? How did you implement it and what were the results? What is your next day like? Strength training, rest, something else’s?

I am currently running eight seconds sprints, with a minute and a half rest, and I do as many as I can until I feel like I’m losing power throughout most of the sprint. Yesterday I did 13 with good power, and on the 14th I just sort of ran out, so I recorded it as 13. I’m hoping to do this 2 to 3 times a week, alternating with a swings and getup session.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom