all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Assistance exercises for improving the standing plank

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Training for Life

Level 6 Valued Member
Hey,

I have noticed that a limiting factor to my Swing is a weak standing plank. I have been doing 2H Swings and TGUs with a 28kg bell, 1H Swings with a 16kg. What I have noticed is that when doing the 2H swings and squeezing my glutes very hard, my abs give in and there is a small back extension happening.

How should I address this issue? Hardstyle breathing? Hardstyle planks? Something else? How much, how often?

Last edited:
I fixed by back overextension using a pullup bar ad shoulder height in a door frame.

But to me it's a bit odd using a 28kg for 2H and a 16kg for 1H swings.

Kettlebell deadlifts are always my go-to for teaching and strengthening the standing plank position. All the details of it are in the kettlebell deadlift section of S&S. I think some people move quickly to the swing section of the book and miss those details.

I fixed by back overextension using a pullup bar ad shoulder height in a door frame.

But to me it's a bit odd using a 28kg for 2H and a 16kg for 1H swings.

This is due to me having only these two bells now - all the domestic web stores ran out of bells because of people ordering them during the corona lockout. Still feel a tad weak to use the 28kg for 1H Swings for 10 reps at a time.

Kettlebell deadlifts are always my go-to for teaching and strengthening the standing plank position. All the details of it are in the kettlebell deadlift section of S&S. I think some people move quickly to the swing section of the book and miss those details.
I will re-read the section. I rushed a bit with the DL using the 28kg, because it felt so light. Maybe there is some learning to be had from the DL. Thanks for the advice!

Hey,

I have noticed that a limiting factor to my Swing is a weak standing plank. I have been doing 2H Swings and TGUs with a 28kg bell, 1H Swings with a 16kg. What I have noticed is that when doing the 2H swings and squeezing my glutes very hard, my abs give in and there is a small back extension happening.

How should I address this issue? Hardstyle breathing? Hardstyle planks? Something else? How much, how often?

The hardstyle swing itself should strengthen your standing plank. Deadlifts could certainly do that as well. However, you can still extend your lumbar without noticing and thus compound the problem. Here is a nice trick from Brett Jones for a real-time standing plank cue, for both swings and deadlifts:

In case it applies to you; someone with anterior pelvic tilt will have weak abs and aggressive lumbar extensors (among other imbalances). This condition would require assistive ab routines with suppressed hip flexors to strengthen the core.

The ab wheel when properly executed is a great anti-extension exercise. It's done wonders for me...like a moving hardstyle plank.

Thanks for the reminder, I should dust off my ab wheel and learn how to use it properly. Maybe my core is strong enough now to allow my abs to take over from the hip flexors. I wasn't able to do that when I last used it a couple of years ago. Here's what I have in mind:

Outside of a defined time for exercise, gtg planks whenever standing around.
Dunno where you live but queuing a lot more due to this pain in the arse pandemic offers plenty of time to develop further pains in your arse.
Literally, practice it a lot whenever you can.
If you are fortunate not to spend time in queues, get up often and do some. Washing dishes, brushing teeth, ironing can be turned into practice time.

There are some things to consider:

Yes do specific abs work, or general strength compound exercises with emphasized ab tension (as mentioned by Anna - deadlifts, I would add loaded carries or farmer holds, and ab wheel). Disbalances between abs development and rest of the muscle group can instinctively call for a strongest muscle group taking the load. I know it well from the personal experience.

Back extension or leaning back can happen due to different reasons - "squatty" knees, bad setup for hike, bell passing too low between the legs, limited hamstrings mobility - all creating trajectory which calls to finish with a leaned back. I'm not saying it's a case, but it's worth to re-check.

Standing plank in swing is greatly determined not only by tension, but by a Tsaa breath out and right positioning of the rib cage - concerning abs.

The ab wheel when properly executed is a great anti-extension exercise. It's done wonders for me...like a moving hardstyle plank.

+1 more to ab wheel.

But I also alternate it with other anti-extension exercises:

--KB pullover

--Dead bug / bird dogs

--Hollow rocks

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom