all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Astro Turf vs Gym Mat

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

EdH

Level 3 Valued Member
Hi team, in order to make my courage corner a little more 'family friendly' I'm looking at upgrading my 16mm gym squares to sufficiently heavy Astro Turf squares, for my daily S&S. Usage is KB and BW only, bare feet for most of the year.

I'm concerned the Astro Turf might be a little slippery / dangerous and in any rate provide less grip, particularly for heavy Swings and heavy TGUs. Can anyone share their experience for this type of scenario? All tips welcome!

Thanks very much.

Ed

Hi team, in order to make my courage corner a little more 'family friendly' I'm looking at upgrading my 16mm gym squares to sufficiently heavy Astro Turf squares, for my daily S&S. Usage is KB and BW only, bare feet for most of the year.

I'm concerned the Astro Turf might be a little slippery / dangerous and in any rate provide less grip, particularly for heavy Swings and heavy TGUs. Can anyone share their experience for this type of scenario? All tips welcome!

Thanks very much.

Ed

"The Dome" in Chicago where the largest SFG events are held is all astroturf. It works fine for all the kettlebell moves!

Photos from my SFG I in May 2015:

1595254773182.png

1595254830004.png

Thanks very much.

Ed
I use to attend a gym and do my get ups on the astro turf type flooring and grip was never an issue however, I used to get almost a rug burn type discomfort at times on my knees if I grazed the floor with them. It was a great reminder to keep up form but it was annoying as anything.

Thanks Shawn, definitely a consideration. I don't suppose you or @Anna C have any idea what the ideal length of 'grass' is? Or who might be best to ask?

The net giving me a stack of different heights and grades of grass. I would have thought shorter the better and with a solid/thick base.

Thanks!

Thanks Shawn, definitely a consideration. I don't suppose you or @Anna C have any idea what the ideal length of 'grass' is? Or who might be best to ask?

The net giving me a stack of different heights and grades of grass. I would have thought shorter the better and with a solid/thick base.

Thanks!
Sorry, no cue as to length. The scraping wasn't horrible, just got a bit annoying at times. I found it to be better than just a gym floor or concrete due to the amount of padding.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom