all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed At a hotel gym without kettlebells

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Nardelli99

First Post
I'm on vacation and couldn't bring my kettlebell on the flight. The hotel gym has an selection of dumbbells and I'm wondering what are some exercises I can do with dumbbells that are similar to kettlebell movements? Or really any strength building movements with dumbbells?

I would stick to bodyweight. As but one example, I've lately been doing sets of 10 pushups with my body board-stiff, near max ab tension, hands gripping the ground hard. It's a tremendous exercise. My metric, such as it is, is having my nose and groin touch the ground at the same time.

Pullups, dead hangs - both can be done on a tree branch. L-sits can be done on dumbbell handles or the floor. Handstand/headstand pushups. Bodyweight cossack squats for maximum depth and driving out through the heel of the straight leg.

-S-

I'm on vacation and couldn't bring my kettlebell on the flight. The hotel gym has an selection of dumbbells and I'm wondering what are some exercises I can do with dumbbells that are similar to kettlebell movements? Or really any strength building movements with dumbbells?
1. Goblet Squats with dumbbell
2. Presses with dumbbells (bench or overhead)
3. Rows with dumbbells
4. Single-leg something with dumbbells (lunge, reverse lunge, single leg deadlift, split squat, etc.)

I'd probably stay away from swings and snatches with dumbbells at this time, and probably stick with things you know how to do. If you don't know how to do something properly - say, a dumbbell row - probably skip.

Great bodyweight exercises to add to the mix, if you have the ability to do them and they have somewhere to do them, are dips, pull-ups, and pushups.

One of my best days in a hotel gym was something like this.

Single leg deadlift
1/10 @ 2x75lbs

Double Suitcase clean and press
5/2 @ 2x55lbs

Max elevation on a treadmill to my heart's content.

If it were me, I'd spend my time on:
DB press, one-arm DB press, DB bench press, one-arm DB bench press, standing DB press, one-arm standing DB press, one-arm rows, bent-over laterals, DB curls, DB hammer curls, side bends w. DB, goblet squats and/or pistols w. DB

Fwiw, if I know I'm going to be in a hotel/traveling, I try to bring some bands along just to get some work in and I'll spend a little time doing push-ups, etc just to keep my hand in.

I am a big fan of Thomas Inch's DB Program Minimum:

10 x 5 in both the DB Swing and DB Jerk (Push Press).

This year my travel lifts, where there are no KBs, have been double dumbell cleans and presses.

I would take the opportunity to have a completely different work out. If they only have dumbbells, then do a bodybuilding session. You can also do Goblet Squats or Thrusters.

Hello, since I partially ripped some tendons on my right foot (stupid accident & my own fault) I dropped all dynamic movements for a few weeks and do a steady state workout of 4 exercises. The only equipment I use are the Neuro grip PU handles, which doesn’t weight very much, but challenge your grip , coordination an core stability. I do a 5 minutes deep horse stance, 5 minute neurogrip plank (you could do them on fists if you don’t own NG handles) , followed by a 5 minute back arch and a 5 min isometric crunch pressing the lumbar spine through the ground. Go all out, 2-3 times a week. Stretching afterwards for a few minutes an shake the muscles out (fast and loose style)
My strength endurance, my work-capcity and my willpower went up and they are some really serious joint savers. I like it.(I’m 40 yeras old and some joints started to crack and grind, oapu, olsq and swings got to painful on the joints and tendons ). Have you developed some isometric experiences ? Dead hangs are great too.

Geoff Neupert's Easy Muscle program teaches a dumbbell version of the Clean and Press, and mentions Sig Klein swore by dumbbells.

That said, I also like the idea of not training at all while on vacation, other than casual walking, biking, etc. It would be recovery time from whatever training you did before vacation.

I second PUSH,PULL and SQUAT and finding a place to pull yourself up.
At least that’s what would do unless I needed the day off.

Just don’t do these!

I love DB snatches, so I tend to do those. Typically I do descending ladders of 10, resetting to lower weights if I have time.

I had dumbbells for 2 years at home, up to 42 kg per hand, adjustable. My bodyweight is 68.
I did:
1. Dumbbell suitcase deadlift. Just stand between them, grab them and get up. Similar to a trap bar deadlift.
2. Dumbbell rdl.
3. Floor press with dumbbells.
4. Dumbbell row, for lats.
5. Overhead press, both hands.
6. Rear delt raises
7. Lateral raises.
8. You can do some stuff for triceps and biceps if you want to
9. You can do crunches with a dumbbell. Just make sure you do them good, protect your lower back.

Dumbbells are great.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom