all posts post new thread

Barbell Atomic Athletes

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Xene

Level 6 Valued Member
Hi Guys

Does anybody has some experience with programs from AA? If yes, what program and how did it work?

Looking for some hypertrophy and max strength template without losing too much of my conditioning.

Does anybody has some experience with programs from AA?

Atomic Athlete

I am not familiar with them. I did look them up. Based on their credentials, I'd say they know what they are doing.

Looking for some hypertrophy and max strength template without losing too much of my conditioning.

Conjugate Training

This method incorporates different type of Strength Training into one cycle. It allows for Hypertrophy, Max "Limit Strength" and Conditioning. One type of Strength Training enhance other types of Strength, providing the program is well written and executed.

Dr Michael Zouros' Limit Strength Training Research

Zourdos research determined that a program with a day specifically for different type of Strength Training increase Limit Strength.

Training Week Day Example

Monday: Hypertrophy. Moderate to high repetition (8 -30 Reps), multiple sets (3 set plus) and short rest periods between sets (around 60 seconds). This provide some conditioning, especially with the higher repetitions and short rest periods.

Wednesday: Power Training

Friday: Limit Strength Training

Dr Brad Shoenfield's Hypertrophy Training Research

Schoenfield's research came to the same conclusion for Hypertrophy Training.

1) Mechanical Tension: Heavy Limit Strength Training

2) Metabolic Stress: Traditional Bodybuilding, Hypertrophy Training.

3) Muscle Damage: Pushing to failure or near it at times in your training session. Also, full range movements in which the muscle are stretched under a load; like a Full Squat or performing a Dumbbell Bench Press, which allows a greater stretch in the bottom position.

Dr Jonathan Oliver Cluster Set Hypertrophy Training Research

Performing only Traditional Hypertrophy Training increases muscle mass at the expense of Limit Strength and Power; both Limit Strength and Power decrease.

Oliver found that one method that allowed Limit Strength to be maintained and Power to be maintained or increased while increasing muscle mass is...

Cluster Hypertrophy Sets

1) Small rest are taken between repetition in a set.

2) Each rep in the set is performed explosively. When your power drops in a set, Stop.

Squat Training Example

Let say your Max Squat is 225. Your Cluster Set will be performed with around 60 to 80% of your 225 max.

Cluster Set: 135 X 6 Reps, Rest 10 Seconds, 135 X 6 Reps, Rest 10 Seconds, 135 X 6 Reps, Rest 10 Seconds, 135 X 6 Reps, Rest 10 Seconds, 135 X 6 Reps, Stop.

Rest 3 minutes then repeat the Cluster Set again for 3 - 4 more times, sets.

Based on the above example, that mean you have preformed 30 reps in each Cluster X 4 sets = 120 reps in the exercise.

Oliver Protocol falls into the category of...

High Intensity Interval Resistance Training, HIIR

This is High Intensity Interval Cardio Training, only with Resistance/Weight. The same principle applies.

HIIRT is essentially an all out sprint. Your heart rate blow ythrough the roof, providing some conditioning.

Limit Strength

Cluster Hypertrophy Set Training ensure Limit Strength will be maintained to a greater degree than Traditional Bodybuilding, Hypertrophy Training.

However, a Limit Strength Training Day need to be incorporated into your weekly plan to increase you max strength.

There are a variety of way to write and preform that program.,

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
I just took a peek at their sample two-week training templates and, while it’s not exactly my cup of tea, I can understand its allure.

Basically, it’s Crossfit for the reasonable, sensible individual (as opposed to the excessive hardcore approach that made Glassman’s creation a huge success). Not that much different from Mark Twight and Rob Shaul’s approach.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom