all posts post new thread

AttilaThePun Captains Log.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

AttilaThePun

Level 3 Valued Member
Currently weigh 86kg at 186 cm. Achieved simple goals last week, thoroughly enjoyed the program but I find grip strength to be the greatest challenge, which I can increase on ROP whilst also increasing pressing strength!

Started ROP today and thought it would be a good idea to keep a log.

Light Day
  1. C&P Ladder 16kg (1,2,3)*3 WITH Chinups (1,1,1)*3
  2. Light 16kg Snatches 5 minutes (more like practice didn't take note of numbers)
Nice and easy. First time doing snatches, need to work on form.

Last edited:
Variety Day
  1. 5x5 Goblet Squat 24kg
  2. 3x10 Swings 24kg (2H, L, R)
  3. Some Snatch&Clean Practice with 24kg
  4. 2H deadhang 30S
  5. Boxing Practice
Easy Peasy.

Medium Day
  2. Medium 24kg Swings 170 in 12 minutes
was very unlucky to roll a 12 on my 3rd day on the program :)

Think I could of done more but my stomach is feeling strange and boxing took a bit more out of me than I expected yesterday (we did circuits for 20 minutes).

Heavy Day
  2. Heavy 24kg Swings 110 in 6 minutes
Pretty easy, I still feel ill/tired (I skipped a variety day due to it) but I'm on the mend now. Swings taxed my grip more than my CV system, feel I could do way way more fresh.

Last edited:
Yesterday

Variety Day
  1. 1HR Cycling
  2. Boxing Practice
Heavy striking work is tough on my wrists/elbows, I'm hoping ROP will help with developing strength here.

Medium Day
  1. C&P Ladder 16kg (1,2,3)*4 WITH Chinups (1,1,1)*4 (think I did 2,3,3 on some C&P ladders by mistake)
  2. Medium 24kg Swings 117 in 7 minutes.
Swings are so grip dependant. Fresh on S&S I could do 100 OHS in 5 mins with 32kg, after doing chinups/C&P ladders I struggle to do 117 2HS in 7 minutes due to my grip slowly giving up.

Yesterday

"Rest" Day
  1. 5*10 EMOM 2HS 32kg
  2. 1L, 1R, 32kg TGU
  3. Around 40 minutes running/walking
Going to Prague on Monday so figured I'l have plenty of time to rest over next week! Surprised at how easy the swings were, felt like I could of kept that up for 20-30 mins easily.

Heavy Day
  1. C&P Ladder 16kg (1,2,3)*4 WITH Chinups (1,1,1)*4
  2. Heavy 24kg Swings 210 in 12 minutes
Really wanted to hit 220+, doing these long swing sets gives you alot of respect for those with high SSST numbers and kettlebell sport athletes. Prague next week so won't update for a while, but will do some handstand and pistol practice, pretty close to holding a straight handstand. Looking forward for the scenic jogs around Prague.

Light Day
  1. C&P Ladder 16kg (1,2,3)*5 WITH Chinups (1,1,1)*5
  2. 32kg Swings, 20 1HS and 50 2HS in 3 minutes
Volume is starting to rack up and I'm feeling it. Ended up not doing any exercise in Prague, lots of scenic walking, beer drinking, and eating.

Last edited:
Variety Day
  1. 5*5 Cleans with 1*5 TGU at 24kg
  2. 3*10 Swings at 32kg
  3. 10 minutes snatch practice 16kg
  4. Boxing Practice (1hr)

Last edited:
The larger volumes are extremely taxing well into the next day and beyond. Walking around Prague (never been there but would love to go

Do you have a background in boxing or are learning for fitness and the fun of it?

Initial discomfort is pretty common when doing hard striking, especially if your form is good - you develop more power and the joints aren't ready. Also pain in the forearms similar to shin splints can develop. From experience, wrap up good and/or use a well cushioned glove if hitting the heavier, more dense bags. Its great fun and great exercise!

I have a background in karate, and taekwondo, and judo, but I'm not a fan, though judo was okay - at taekwondo you had to pay to do the test for the next belt up, and then pay for the belt, and the test was just a bunch of moves similar to a preprepared dance, I stopped at yellow belt but continued doing taekwondo for a while because I just cba spending money when I'm progressing anyway. I found in sparring I could deck many of the black belts.

I'm hoping to compete in amateur boxing eventually, though starting at 23 (last year) I doubt I'l ever get into the pro-scene, but it should be good fun. I have pretty small hands and small wrists even though I'm pretty big built even for a guy standing at 6'1, so I think I'm susceptible to wrist discomfort, but I don't get it so much after 9-10 months of S&S.

On a side note, I played craven with my bodybuilding cousin who is about my weight (but like 4-5 inches shorter) who deadlifts 210kg, benches 130kg, and it was a draw, our grip strength was similar which was pretty cool. I guess using those heavygrips grippers do translate to something even though I only close a HG200 for a few reps :)

My kids were taking TKD and I let them stop after seeing the cost for testing and the belt, and the fact they had no business wearing anything but a white belt yet were pretty much guaranteed to pass their first test. Admittedly the school was more about discipline and respect when it came to the younger kids but still, misplaced confidence can be just as bad as too little confidence when more is warranted.

The biggest issue for the boxing is avoiding any small tears to the ligaments around the wrist. Often it causes very little discomfort at first, but over years can turn into a big problem. Pain in forearms or at knuckle contact area is OK, lingering pain at the wrist joint should not be ignored. See "scapholunate dissociation", don't ask why I'm so aware of this condition...

Amateur boxing looks to be great fun, I never competed but did help a buddy train for a fight or two and yelling from the crowd "Cover up and hook!" Double up on the jab!" He said he couldn't hear anything outside the ring once the bell rang.

Headgear is a big plus, I don't have enough spare smarts to fight with no head protection by choice!

Medium Day
  2. 24kg Swings, 91 in 4 minutes
Niggled my right elbow slightly, think it's due to heavy usage with boxing and ROP. Going to not do anything on variety days and just stick to boxing because it's clearly too much, going to do light days on Wednesdays from now on and medium on days on Mondays.

Heavy Day
  2. Heavy 24kg Swings 120 in 6 minutes
Tried to shoot for 140 but my forearms ain't having it, get a massive pump in my forearms from the long swing sets.

Yesterday
  1. 30 mins Cycling
Today

Medium Day
  1. C&P Ladder 16kg (1,2,3,4)*5 WITH Chinups (1,1,1,1)*5
  2. 28kg Swings 130 in 8 minutes.
Getting tougher.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom