all posts post new thread

Nutrition Aussie Yogurt, Kefir, and Sour Cream

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
I love sour cream. I eat it right out of the container with a spoon sometimes.

The local Whole Foods has a brand called Wallaby - says, "Inspired by Australia" on the container. I usually buy the house brand, but they're out of that, so I try the "Aussie" stuff.

OMG, it almost tastes like soft ice cream - just fantastic. I ate about a pint of it with my dinner tonight, somewhere close to a pound or half a kilo.

So - what is different about yogurt, kefir, and sour cream in the Land Down Under? Aussie folks, educate me, please.

-S-

I'm not Aussie but a quick google search yielded this...

What it is: Unstrained yogurt using whole milk (this means milk + cultures; also, Wallaby makes a low-fat version)
How it's different from other yogurts: Infusing it with honey gives it a unique flavor profile, often contains more protein than traditional yogurt
The consistency: "Perfect intersection between traditional yogurt and Greek"
Popular brands: noosa, Yulu, Wallaby

Interesting. I’ll have to check the ingredients list. I thought it said only milk and cultures.

-S-

Ingredients says nothing about, well, anything except "cultured milk". Wouldn't honey have to be listed if it was in it?

-S-

The ingredients list says only cultured milk. And it also says it’s “inspired” by Australia but made in California.

-S-

Steve if you love the sourness of sour cream, have you thought of making your own yoghurt?

I make my own using 2L (about 8 cups) of milk in an electric yoghurt maker (all that volume in one container, unlike many units that are several individual servings). Starter/culture comes from the health food store. Incubating time varies from about 4- 1/2 to 15hrs depending on your starter. Just heat milk to recommended temp and then cool to a temp that won't kill ypur starter culture (I plunge my pot of milk into a sink of cold water, cools off in about 10 min. Add starter and incubate, then refridgerate overnite). The whole process involves some temperature measuring, but overall is pretty easy. Works best with whole fat milk for firmness, although I have had luck with 1% and adding powdered milk during the heating process.

I often scoop out yoghurt into a metal basket steamer resting in a plastic food container and let it strain, then voila, greek yoghurt. Often thrown over unthawed berries here, or add honey and eat as is. Or you can thin your yoghurt to a buttermilk consistency, and use it in pancakes, etc. If you keep your serving/dishing out spoon clean, it lasts for weeks

I use the Yogourmet, from Canada, but they do supply on US Amazon. With all the yoghurt we eat here it has been very cost effective.

Link at the botton under my yoghurt in the fridge picture. They actually sell keifer starter too.

20181207_100959.jpg

Yogourmet Multi yogurt maker

Steve if you love the sourness of sour cream, have you thought of making your own yoghurt?

I make my own using 2L (about 8 cups) of milk in an electric yoghurt maker (all that volume in one container, unlike many units that are several individual servings). Starter/culture comes from the health food store. Incubating time varies from about 4- 1/2 to 15hrs depending on your starter. Just heat milk to recommended temp and then cool to a temp that won't kill ypur starter culture (I plunge my pot of milk into a sink of cold water, cools off in about 10 min. Add starter and incubate, then refridgerate overnite). The whole process involves some temperature measuring, but overall is pretty easy. Works best with whole fat milk for firmness, although I have had luck with 1% and adding powdered milk during the heating process.

I often scoop out yoghurt into a metal basket steamer resting in a plastic food container and let it strain, then voila, greek yoghurt. Often thrown over unthawed berries here, or add honey and eat as is. Or you can thin your yoghurt to a buttermilk consistency, and use it in pancakes, etc. If you keep your serving/dishing out spoon clean, it lasts for weeks

I use the Yogourmet, from Canada, but they do supply on US Amazon. With all the yoghurt we eat here it has been very cost effective.

Link at the botton under my yoghurt in the fridge picture. They actually sell keifer starter too.

View attachment 7140

Yogourmet Multi yogurt maker
You don't even need to buy starter. You can just use a good quality yogurt and go from there. We made our own for years.

Our current yogurt maker comes with a screen basket for straining (Greek)

I am not a fan of yogurt, but have always loved sour cream. I'm not sure of what the difference might be, truth be told.

I have, in the past, made my own yogurt, but it's not a thing I have time to do now. As it is, my wife and I cook almost everything we eat, and we roast our own coffee. That's about the amount of time I have, so I will buy sour cream for now.

-S-

I'm in Oz and I've never seen that brand here. As for the taste I've read that different nations tend have different baselines/averages of what's considered most likely to be palatable. I seem to remember that yogurts sell better in the U.S. when they are not as sour as most European countries. They can achieve a less sour end product just by stopping the culturing process earlier, either through refrigeration or pasteurization. That way less of the sugar (lactose, galactose) gets fermented into lactic acids etc. Conversely they can make it more sour just by letting it ferment a bit longer. Maybe the wallaby brand is cultured to a point that suits your preference more Steve?

A lot of our yogurt seems to be fortified with skim milk powder these days, it boosts the protein levels and keeps the fat levels within a few percent of normal milk. Then there's yoghurt with an "h" which seems to be code for adulterated with sugar or anything else they want to mix in to make sugar addicts like it.

The brand says it's from California, but inspired by their experiences with yogurt, et al, in Australia.

-S-

A handy trick if out of sour cream but have double cream....whip it up with a dash of lemon, instant soured cream. Little bit of salt.
You'll be pleasantly surprised.
Give a good whip and just add a few drops at a time with a whisk and a taste. Too much, it ends up like lemon pie, so chuck in more cream and pinch of salt. Voila, sour cream.

plain quark + mineral water (sparkling) and you have creamy texture without any instant/artificial ingredients :) aid spices/honey/ cinamon as you like

I love sour cream. I eat it right out of the container with a spoon sometimes.

The local Whole Foods has a brand called Wallaby - says, "Inspired by Australia" on the container. I usually buy the house brand, but they're out of that, so I try the "Aussie" stuff.

OMG, it almost tastes like soft ice cream - just fantastic. I ate about a pint of it with my dinner tonight, somewhere close to a pound or half a kilo.

So - what is different about yogurt, kefir, and sour cream in the Land Down Under? Aussie folks, educate me, please.

-S-

Oh my. I just tried this last week and I can't get enough of it. I have been putting it on everything. Mix it with a little ketchup and it is wonderful on fish tacos. Great on eggs. I like it mixed with Greek yogurt. Great for dipping vegetables. Really, I like it most by the spoonful. Thanks for the recommendation.

@mprevost, Mike, happy to be of help! You're reminding me that my refrigerator is out of this and I need to add it to the grocery list for tomorrow....

-S-

@Steve Freides

They have all sorts of great yogurts, kefirs, cheeses, and creams here in SD, at the Arabic-Mediterranean style markets.

They do a lot of creative stuff with the creams, and in many cases, use (for dipping) a yogurt that is quite similar to sour cream, spiced just a little differently and with a different texture.

They probably have similar markets in NJ - maybe try some of their yogurts?

@Jak Nieuwenhuis, I'm wondering where "SD" is - South Dakota sounds an unlikely place in the US to find that sort of grocery store, no slight towards SD intended. Here, not far from NYC, we do have plenty of choices.

I've had a Middle Eastern style of yogurt variously called "labneh" or "leben" or similar, and do really like that.

But this made-in-California-but-Aussie-style yogurt is just OMG wonderful. I made a mistake the other day and bought the strawberry flavor instead of plain, and it's again wonderful. Obviously higher in carbs due to the added fruit and sugar. For the plain variety, the prefer method here of late is to add walnut pieces and honey.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom